Problems With the Blu-Ray Release!

Ferrariman

• Administrators

Do we know if the problems have been fixed yet or not? I refuse to buy a set and have to go the replacement disc route. I'd rather wait til it's all squared away.

Matt5: I´m speechless about your comparison. Comparing two different scenes, one indoor and one outside is hilarious. No further comments are not necessary.

37 minutes ago, Mr. Pacino said:

Matt5: I´m speechless about your comparison. Comparing two different scenes, one indoor and one outside is hilarious. No further comments are not necessary.

Mr Pacino I wasn't comparing screenshots at all as I stated in the post . Just posting some shots from episodes I watched this weekend .

I have both sets and am pretty pleased with both , although flawed , it's still the best Ive seen MV look on disc.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Do we know if the problems have been fixed yet or not? I refuse to buy a set and have to go the replacement disc route. I'd rather wait til it's all squared away.

Lou - I believe so . Certainly the sound issues have been rectified with the Fabulous Films Uk set with replacement discs. 

The replacement discs in the U.K. came from Pinewood Studios - FF must be part of that studio complex - of course Pinewood is famous for the Bond and Star Wars movies including the brand new one.

The US set I will only be able to confirm when I'm back in the US shortly .:hippie:

Edited by Matt5

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Matt5 said:

The US set I will only be able to confirm when I'm back in the US shortly .:hippie:

Thanks Matt!  I will wait for your report! :thumbsup:

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:20 AM, Ferrariman said:

F-Man, I earlier posted this email reply from Mill Creek back on April 3, so I would think it likely that copies now out for sale are now the revised copies. So I believe the only uncorrected audio issue (because of the masters, not the production of MC) is 10 seconds of missing stereo audio on the Cry song in Def Miami.

"New merchandise has been produced and has been shipped to our retail partners."

• Like 2

...but are said partners going to sell the old stock first, or did they send the defective sets back?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

...but are said partners going to sell the old stock first, or did they send the defective sets back?

lol....how did I know this question was coming.  :p

As I recall when Amazon was initially flooded with negative reviews of the MC set, they halted sales and, if I recall correctly, they indicated it was 'Out of Stock'. So I would surmise they contacted MC and arranged for a return of stock before resuming sales, which they did some weeks later. Do I know this for certain..NO. And unless you work there or contact them directly (not sure who to contact about this because in past attempts when I did call them about this set I was routed overseas and they even were clueless about sending replacements) I don't know how you would get a conclusive answer from Amazon on this.

However during a scan of recent Buyer Reviews I found this one:

ByBrandonon May 5, 2017
I have experienced none of the audio problems on the Blu Rays as mentioned by others. I know Mill Creek had problems early on with the audio (5.1), but a new batch of Blu Rays seem to have been sent out and corrected. I give this product a 5/5 because of the excellent picture and sound quality. This is the definitive collection for any MIAMI VICE fan. PS: The DVD'S are also a 5/5 and they are a good cheaper alternative if someone is in the market for something less expensive. Long live Crockett & Tubbs!"

Reviews are often the best source for info. So it's been more than 2 months now since I heard from MC, and they sent their replacement inventory out prior to my emailed note. In the world of retail, that's a long time and they don't want to deal with returns or bad reviews because of defects. My bet is that they returned their original stock. Worst case, the defects have been well-documented in here and a quick check of the discs will tell you if they are corrected. And Mill Creek was very honorable and timely in sending out replacements.

• Like 2

All great info! Thanks. S-B scores again! :thumbsup:

I plan to get the Blu-Rays asap. I will post accordingly here about any issues. 

3 hours ago, Dadrian said:

All great info! Thanks. S-B scores again! :thumbsup:

I plan to get the Blu-Rays asap. I will post accordingly here about any issues. 

You can easily identify which Mill Creek discs you have by the hub codes posted for us earlier by Sonny-Burnett and that the corrected discs have a black code underneath the disc number e.g. Season One Disc One on the label side. The original faulty discs have no code number under that text on the discs.

In answer to Ferrariman, there is no error free set, even though both the sets in the US and UK now have corrected discs, errors remain that neither company has addressed. If you are looking for best yet rather than perfect, just get whichever set is cheapest for you and make sure you get the corrected discs. Or wait it out for a better release down the line from another company :)

• Like 3

• Administrators

Thanks for the updates guys!  Right now I'm perfectly content with my regular set. I don't watch episodes regularly anyway (they are committed to memory!) so my money is better spent somewhere else right now.  I'm sure to find a good sale in the future.

• Like 2

Personally I've waited a long time just for the price to drop and if the UK set's audio issues really are fixed by Fabulous Films, then that's great news. I did manage to find a reasonable price for the Fabulous Films Blu-ray set and a seller, which to me looks reliable, (because I really don't want any trouble with not receiving the product,) edit: but haven't decided yet and will wait a while longer. 

Edited by summer84

If there was an error free set, I'd happily pay the price. As is, I paid $25 dollars for a corrected but physically damaged (dropped) Mill Creek set on eBay, so I can at least watch them. But I'd still pay about $85 for a perfect Blu-ray set, with all of the errors that are still on the Mill Creek and Fabulous sets corrected - and I really hope someone steps up and does that, to do the series full justice. They didn't make such a high quality show for there to be technical failures introduced down the line on home format.

• Like 1

If there hadn't been all of these issues with the Miami Vice Blu-ray set and the price had been fair enough, of course I wouldn't have hesitated ordering. But already from the beginning, well actually even before the Fabulous Films set was released there were issues found and the price was to high. So then you just decide to wait and see. I wasn't even sure about the picture quality, if it was worth enough at that time and even a long time after, when I've read the reviews. And other people have also had their doubts understandably. I've read some over at the Blu-ray forum also. This show should have gotten the full right treatment it deserved. I don't how it is with other TV-show's from this decade released, if they had gotten better treatment like Magnum P.I for instance, that was released around the same time as Miami Vice FF set. I'm not really sure, if Miami Vice being an almost 30 year old show is going to be released again by another company, even this was a surprise to me, but a good one.        

Edited by summer84
  • Like 2

On 6/7/2017 at 11:38 PM, bodie said:

You can easily identify which Mill Creek discs you have by the hub codes posted for us earlier by Sonny-Burnett and that the corrected discs have a black code underneath the disc number e.g. Season One Disc One on the label side. The original faulty discs have no code number under that text on the discs.

In answer to Ferrariman, there is no error free set, even though both the sets in the US and UK now have corrected discs, errors remain that neither company has addressed. If you are looking for best yet rather than perfect, just get whichever set is cheapest for you and make sure you get the corrected discs. Or wait it out for a better release down the line from another company :)

Thanks for all the great info on this thread. Does anyone know if you can identify the UK sets via hub codes too? I'm looking at the Blu Ray UK box sets on ebay but it's a gamble as to whether it's the updated discs or the flawed ones I suppose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, summer84 said:

I'm not really sure, if Miami Vice being an almost 30 year old show is going to be released again by another company, even this was a surprise to me, but a good one.        

My sentiments as well. I think it unlikely that another release is forthcoming, given the age of the series now and that there are releases by 2 different companies already now in FF and MC. And since apparently the Universal Masters account for some of the defects remaining in these releases, what are the chances of getting a new Master release? Incidentally, MC has a reduced price on Amazon which I noticed the other day when reading their reviews.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, BlackJack said:

Thanks for all the great info on this thread. Does anyone know if you can identify the UK sets via hub codes too? I'm looking at the Blu Ray UK box sets on ebay but it's a gamble as to whether it's the updated discs or the flawed ones I suppose.

You're welcome, but I'm only reposting the work of others, for the most part. AFAIK it's an exchange program, so you're not going to be seeing corrected stock on eBay unless someone sends off and then explicitly states that's what they are selling - but caveat emptor about the UK version, wrong black levels, no original audio and a higher price... might be worth getting a multi-region or straight Region A player and go with the corrected Mill Creek, rather than getting into the Fabulous release :)

19 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

My sentiments as well. I think it unlikely that another release is forthcoming, given the age of the series now and that there are releases by 2 different companies already now in FF and MC. And since apparently the Universal Masters account for some of the defects remaining in these releases, what are the chances of getting a new Master release? Incidentally, MC has a reduced price on Amazon which I noticed the other day when reading their reviews.

Ah, I wasn't talking about new masters, I was talking about completing the corrections to the existing ones - there is no reason this cannot be done, other than time and money. I still dare to hope that another territory that wants their own language on it, so many in Europe, might be the answer :)

@bodie my mistake on the masters. My thought was that this could be an expensive proposition in correcting or reworking the masters as a precursor to any new release from yet another company. I don't have a sense for what kind of costs would be incurred, but assuming they are significant, I suppose any new release from a 3rd company would have to look at the sales from MC and FF to determine whether it makes sense to request/make those masters corrections prior to going forward. And if FF and MC are not selling enough copies, that may preclude another party from entering into a new release with corrected masters.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

On 13/06/2017 at 4:32 PM, Sonny-Burnett said:

@bodie my mistake on the masters. My thought was that this could be an expensive proposition in correcting or reworking the masters as a precursor to any new release from yet another company. I don't have a sense for what kind of costs would be incurred, but assuming they are significant, I suppose any new release from a 3rd company would have to look at the sales from MC and FF to determine whether it makes sense to request/make those masters corrections prior to going forward. And if FF and MC are not selling enough copies, that may preclude another party from entering into a new release with corrected masters.

Sure, the way I see it, corrections have been made for both releases (UK and US), but there's still more to do. The existing masters need a thorough quality check by Universal before they sell them to anyone else I'd say.

Great price on the Mill Creek Blu-ray set at amazon, $35.67 - don't know if it will be the corrected stock, but easy enough to check (codes etc. in this thread) and send off for the corrected discs if not :)

6 minutes ago, bodie said:

Great price on the Mill Creek Blu-ray set at amazon, $35.67 - don't know if it will be the corrected stock, but easy enough to check (codes etc. in this thread) and send off for the corrected discs if not :)

Thanks for the heads up! My birthday is next Tuesday. :baby:

• Like 3

Just FYI, I purchased the Blu-ray set at a Best Buy store around a month ago and it did have the corrected discs. So if you happen to come across the set at a retail location now, it's a good bet that it will have the replacement discs already included.

Edited by e236
Typo
  • Like 3