Problems With the Blu-Ray Release!

Ferrariman

22 hours ago, bodie said:

Thanks both - so I take it we're not going from memory here, this is verified by broadcast copies? :)

Yes!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Detective_Crockett said:

Why would I care about chickens fighting? :)

What I find funny is Golden Triangle P1 is the episode that makes the whole series an 18 in the UK because of the fight between Castillo and that dude was considered very violent back then. 

Indeed and it was censored on the UK DVDs, no ear clap.

Thanks ivoryjones for the confirmation about the title music, and to everyone else on that one, that clears up a long standing mystery :)

1 minute ago, bodie said:

Indeed and it was censored on the UK DVDs, no ear clap.

Thanks ivoryjones for the confirmation about the title music, and to everyone else on that one, that clears up a long standing mystery :)

That fight is so PG by today's standards.

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, Crockettt said:

Elephant Films (France) will release a bunch of Blurays of Universals 80s shows. One of them is Miami Vice (BD release scheduled for mid 2018).

http://www.deuxflicsamiami.fr/news/158/elephant-films-editera-miami-vice-en-blu-ray.html

A third... Nice. I wonder if they've seen the mistakes of the other two and will correct them for their release. Would be interesting to compare it.

I also wonder if it'll be English or a French dubbed version. 

Yes, they will correct the mistakes. :)

Q: The Mill Creek editor has had problems on the DTS 5.1 audio tracks of some episodes of Miami Vice (on Season 1 in particular), I hope this will not be the case for your future edition, in any case c It's great to finally have these series in HD in France.
Elephant Films (Official page)
A: Yes, we know. The worries are not a priori on the sources, there is no reason to find them on our edition.

Edited by Crockettt
  • Like 1

A third release?! That's good news! And very unexpected. 

Translated this on google: 

"The news fell Thursday (June 15): the Miami Vice series will finally be well edited and distributed in Blu Ray format in France !!

By publishing on its Facebook page a promotional display, that independent distributor Elephant Films announced the release in format Blu Ray of several series 80's, from Christmas 2017.

Among them, Miami Vice! While we announced a few weeks ago that Universal had not planned a release in this format for the series, we were in a thousand places to think that another distributor would take over ... Surprise is d 'All the more pleasant!

For now, the Elephant Films team is just starting work on this release, the date of which is estimated at the end of the first half of 2018."

I do hope so, that it will be well edited. 

Edited by summer84

Good news, though they are dead wrong about the sources, that is why there are errors common to the UK and US Blu-ray sets. I think I might shoot them an email to confirm that, can't do any harm :)

• Like 1

• Administrators
10 hours ago, bodie said:

Good news, though they are dead wrong about the sources, that is why there are errors common to the UK and US Blu-ray sets. I think I might shoot them an email to confirm that, can't do any harm :)

They didn't have the same errors though, the errors were unique to each release. 

15 hours ago, James said:

They didn't have the same errors though, the errors were unique to each release. 

I wish that were so, but as we saw either earlier in this thread, or in the long one on this that was deleted, there were errors in common that were down to Universal's master; the sound echo on the 5.1 of Heart of Darkness for example.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, bodie said:

I wish that were so, but as we saw either earlier in this thread, or in the long one on this that was deleted, there were errors in common that were down to Universal's master; the sound echo on the 5.1 of Heart of Darkness for example.

Oh yes true. But Mill Creek had others in the later seasons where Fab Films' seasons 2 - 5 are absolutely fine? Or were those issues for the stereo mix only?

I don't think we got that far, as once it was clear Fabulous had messed up the black levels and dragged their heels doing corrections, most people who cared went for the Mill Creek. It was a mess in both territories, but it's worrying if Elephant believe they can just take what Universal give them and be free of the issues Mill Creek and Fabulous fell foul of - it means their product will fall short of perfection in the same way.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, bodie said:

screenshot comparison between the Mill Creek Blu-rays and the Universal DVDs of Brother's Keeper - which of course has had a full remaster, unlike the rest of the show, so it's only really telling you what's gone on with that one episode.

Not sure what is going on with this link because when I clicked the screen it opened another window below that appears to be for Blu-ray yet it was quite fuzzy and distorted.

18 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

Not sure what is going on with this link because when I clicked the screen it opened another window below that appears to be for Blu-ray yet it was quite fuzzy and distorted.

click it again and then click 'fullscreen comparison' in the top right of the preview image - then you can roll your mouse over it and it toggles between the versions, it says which is which in the top left corner. Then back and repeat for all eight of the captures. And yes image #1 is pretty fuzzy and distorted, but that's because it's a very low light shot, and at least it now has true black on the Blu-ray, vs. the blacks being brown on the DVD.

The difference in clarity and colour fidelity (particularly in image #2) is startling - I just wish every episode had been given the same treatment as Brother's Keeper. They will all look better than the DVDs of course (as we've seen from earlier examples) but this episode has been given the works :)

I'm pretty sure that's been already covered, but just would like to say that finally I ended my first run of the entire series on Blu-Ray (Mill Creek) choosing Stereo audio for each and every ep. I can tell you now that the only stereo issue still to be corrected (at least that I was able to identify) is the one found on Definitely Miami, at the beginning of "Cry" sequence. I addressed the issue at this very thread some pages behind. Of course, I'm already counting everything that's been corrected by Mill Creek on the replacement program.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am almost through season 4, and I'm very happy with the Mill Creek Blu Rays.The set was a gift to me, so I had nothing to lose. Mill Creek promptly sent me the replacement discs mentioned in this thread. They were very helpful, and responded to my emails quickly while trying to figure out if I needed the replacement discs. 

• Like 1

Yeah I have the Mill Creek set and corrected discs. It's coming out from Elephant in France and they are aware of the issues so fingers crossed that there may be a safe release for people to get :)

• Like 1

On 11/09/2017 at 2:13 PM, Dadrian said:

I am almost through season 4, and I'm very happy with the Mill Creek Blu Rays.The set was a gift to me, so I had nothing to lose. Mill Creek promptly sent me the replacement discs mentioned in this thread. They were very helpful, and responded to my emails quickly while trying to figure out if I needed the replacement discs. 

Good to know Ive also seen the corrected discs and generally I'm happy with the blu ray set ( I also paid nothing for the set):hippie:

• Like 1

Of course, there are still niggles (as per earlier in the thread) that could and should be cleared up;

- 'Sons and Lovers' missing line from Zito in the introduction

- 'Definitely Miami' has a ten second hole in the audio track

- El Viejo missing frames/skipping when the car drives into the graveyard mist

and, just for completeness, those that were addressed, but still need to be avoided by any company looking at this;

- 'Heart of Darkness' and 'Evan' have echo in their 5.1 mixes

- 'The Great McCarthy' eight audio dropouts

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

As I need to check if I have a version of the Miami Vice UK Box with errors or not it would be helpful to know where to look.

Is there a list with time codes which parts are wrong?

I know that these 3 episodes have problems:

- Heart of Darkness

- Evan

- The Great McCarthy

Does anyone know if there is another way other than try out to know for sure if one has the fixed versions?

• Administrators
23 hours ago, Freak80s said:

As I need to check if I have a version of the Miami Vice UK Box with errors or not it would be helpful to know where to look.

Is there a list with time codes which parts are wrong?

I know that these 3 episodes have problems:

- Heart of Darkness

- Evan

- The Great McCarthy

Does anyone know if there is another way other than try out to know for sure if one has the fixed versions?

I don't have time codes, but in Heart of Darkness it's pretty much almost the whole episode which sounds overdubbed, like they play the dialogue twice and the second layer is slightly off. 

The Great McCarthy is when Rico meets Louis McCarthy for the first time and Crockett is playing around in his boat. There's a few words Rico says where there's no sound, you'll see his mouth move but no dialogue coming out. 

I'm not sure on Evan. I guess it wasn't enough for me to be annoyed by it so I never took notes. 

• 3 months later...

Some of the episodes on my Blu-ray set wouldn't even play all the way through, even though I bought it brand new. Thought that was a thing of the past with the original double-sided disc releases from Universal! :thumbsdown:

Edited by Retro80sfan

Well I feel enthused with the box set of Blu-rays on its way to me here in Hong Kong.

I let you know how they work out, can't wait!