Ferrariman

Problems With the Blu-Ray Release!

464 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Thanks very much. While we're here, thinking about the DVDs and the 5.1 remixes - this is technically the wrong thread, but it's linked, I hope nobody will mind;

On the Vice Wiki it says;

The opening credit sequence is different during the Rodriguez episodes than with the Castillo episodes. The version of the "Miami Vice Theme" used in these episodes is also incorrectly mixed and is missing the distinctive synthesised guitar hook. Curiously, this was not corrected on recent DVD releases of the show, despite being acknowledged as an error by producers.

I've always wondered if this is accurate, and if it is, bringing us back to Blu-ray, that's pretty much all the evidence you need, besides the colours and levels being the same, that the Blu-rays are from the same source as the DVDs, as this was an issue that came in 2005 with the DVD remixes and is still there on Blu-ray.

Edited by bodie

Posted (edited)

I always thought the guitar-like lead sound didn't make the opening theme until "Cool Runnin'", and the first hint of it was in the closing credits of "Heart of Darkness".

@Ferrariman , @ivoryjones , can anybody confirm? I forget who all has original broadcasts. 

Edited by Dadrian
1 person likes this

Thanks, would love to get that one cleared up - has bugged me for years :radio:

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I always though the guitar-like lead sound didn't make the opening theme until "Cool Runnin'", and the first hint of it was in the closing credits of "Heart of Darkness".

@Ferrariman , @ivoryjones , can anybody confirm? I forget who all has original broadcasts. 

I can't remember which episode it was but I know the melody lead was not in the first few episodes.........I was just watching them a few weeks ago & noticed when it was added. I'll try to watch them again & make a note of the addition.

Yeah, I think it's actually Calderone's Demise (Calderone's Return pt 2) on all releases (including original broadcasts). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. 

1 person likes this

26 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Yeah, I think it's actually Calderone's Demise (Calderone's Return pt 2) on all releases (including original broadcasts). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Hi Dadrian.........I just watched the intros & endings and you are correct.............the guitar-like lead is introduced in the beginning of Calderone's Return Part II ....and I am glad Hammer did, not only because I play guitar but it really sounded empty before, with just the background chords. :thumbsup: :radio:

Just to confirm Tony D. - you were looking at original broadcast copies not commercial tape or disc releases right? :)

Posted (edited)

19 hours ago, bodie said:

Thanks, would love to get that one cleared up - has bugged me for years :radio:

Would really like to know this as well. The MV theme without the guitar-like hook I like also as it is on the DVD in the "Pilot" up to "Calderone's Return pt 1" and in the car and boat chase scene. 

Edited by summer84
1 person likes this

19 hours ago, bodie said:

Just to confirm Tony D. - you were looking at original broadcast copies not commercial tape or disc releases right? :)

Oh,Oh..........I watched my original DVD set.  I have episodes from the original broadcasts on VHS tape....but it will be a while until I find those & watch them.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I have the "Cool Running" On beta. I taped it during the summer rerun period. It didn't have the guitar part added. I then taped the Calderone two parter off of USA Network in 1989.  On that version at least the guitar started with the 2nd part. My 2 cents there. 

Out of curiosity, are there blu ray holder things that you can buy to insert into the case to spread the discs out?  I hate them being on top of each other. 

Edited by Noggie
1 person likes this

Forget my question about blu ray cases. I found some on eBay. :cool:

Thanks both.

Tony D. if you could check some time that would be brilliant. Though I note with interest Noggie saying this convention predates the DVD restorations, that certainly conflicts with the info on the Vice Wiki, so the mystery deepens as they say :)

I started taping shows during the rerun period of 85. There were still a few new episodes yet to air. They didn't really rerun them in order I don't think.  They reran the Calderone two parter as a 2 hour movie I remember. I didn't record that and don't remember what intro was used.  I didn't see "Brother's Keeper" until it was rerun over the summer. According to the Vice wiki, it aired in July of 85. I remember being blown away by the longer version of the theme without the guitar. I mean I played that over & over.  When "Cool Running" aired for a 2nd time, it had an edited version of that theme. 

I didn't see the Calderone two parter again until 1989 when it was in syndication. That was when I caught up on a lot of season 1 I'd missed. At least in syndication, it had the no guitar version on part 1 & the guitar version on part 2. I always looked at part 2 as being a restart for the show with the new theme & with Castillo coming on the next episode.  

2 people like this

Cool, as I say, looks like the Wiki is wrong then and it may have started with repeats - but the key thing, is what happened first time out? :)