Problems With the Blu-Ray Release!

Ferrariman

• Administrators
22 hours ago, summer84 said:

Well... :) Two guys on this forum have the set in hand. And there is sort of a "review" with one image upload, not sure what to say about it. :D 

I'll be following this thread for further updates. http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=280905&page=31 Page 31, 32 and 33

And I agree the price is insane, even if it was a flawless set.

Hmm, it's an off-screen photo so it's hard to judge. The comment about the audio in Heart of Darkness is worrying, it seems like even after Mill Creek's backlash - Fabulous Films still decided to release theirs with all of the same issues.

Surely they could've known that doing so would result in people complaining, asking for refunds, and them having to fix it anyway. So why wouldn't you save time and money by fixing it before release? They had months to do it. 

All I want is a watchable Miami Vice bluray in my region code... Is that too much to ask? ;(

5 hours ago, James said:

All I want is a watchable Miami Vice bluray in my region code... Is that too much to ask? ;(

I know... :( Was really looking forward to Miami Vice on Blu-ray.

I don't understand why these companies can't get it right for this release. Have they taken on a too big task and don't have the money/resources to do the work properly or are they simply sloppy. I mean, come on. I personally don't have any other option than to wait and see outcome of the reviews.

I think the article interview with FF gives some insight here. Like question 4:  http://www.dvdcompare.net/features/fabulousfilms_interview.php

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=39429#1 So far only one audio issue note

Edited by summer84

On 12/17/2016 at 1:09 PM, summer84 said:

Well... :) Two guys on this forum have the set in hand. And there is sort of a "review" with one image upload, not sure what to say about it. :D 

I'll be following this thread for further updates. http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=280905&page=31 Page 31, 32 and 33

And I agree the price is insane, even if it was a flawless set.

Great info - Summer thanks :done:

• Administrators
14 hours ago, summer84 said:

I know... :( Was really looking forward to Miami Vice on Blu-ray.

I don't understand why these companies can't get it right for this release. Have they taken on a too big task and don't have the money/resources to do the work properly or are they simply sloppy. I mean, come on. I personally don't have any other option than to wait and see outcome of the reviews.

I think the article interview with FF gives some insight here. Like question 4:  http://www.dvdcompare.net/features/fabulousfilms_interview.php

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=39429#1 So far only one audio issue note

Hmm... Hopefully it's just the one episode then. Heart of Darkness isn't that much of an important episode IMO. If that's the only episode with issues and they've fixed the rest, then I'll accept that. Just wait a few more weeks until people get up to the later seasons to see if they have the same issues.

I don't understand how their "quality control" would pass something with bad audio though... Or even Universal's quality control. I guess their quality control didn't bother watching the whole series to take note of any imperfections. 

I received my replacement Mill Creek DVDs on Saturday.  Three were included: Season One, Disc One; Season One, Disc 4; and Season 4, Disc 4.  A nice note with an apology was included.  Also: "The enclosed discs contain the correct program content that completes your set - you are not required to return the original discs." - Mill Creek Entertainment, Customer Service.

I have not watched the new discs yet, but it seems that Mill Creek realized the issues and has corrected them in a timely (and hopefully correct) manner.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, CameraDaytona said:

I received my replacement Mill Creek DVDs on Saturday.  Three were included: Season One, Disc One; Season One, Disc 4; and Season 4, Disc 4.  A nice note with an apology was included.  Also: "The enclosed discs contain the correct program content that completes your set - you are not required to return the original discs." - Mill Creek Entertainment, Customer Service.

I have not watched the new discs yet, but it seems that Mill Creek realized the issues and has corrected them in a timely (and hopefully correct) manner.

Mine also arrived just today. Glad Mill Creek followed through as promised.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 0:24 PM, bodie said:

If you mean around the 43 minute mark as the car drives towards us kicking up all the dust then that is there on both the 5.1 and 2.0 tracks of Mill Creek's DVD - so if there's a hole in the 2.0 on the Blu-ray that's a Blu-ray mastering error as the sources are the same as they put on the DVD and it's all there. Also, in addition, the 2.0 tracks on the DVD are the same sound quality as on the Blu-ray, so it's not like they are different lossless encodes as the 5.1 are on the Blu-ray, so it looks like a straight fumble.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 6:58 PM, ivoryjones said:

At 42m41s, the Stereo sound gets muted, and it only gets back to normal at 42m51s. So it's 10 seconds of no Stereo sound, 10 seconds that originally have only the song "Cry" from Godley & Creme (no dialogues). On 5.1 the music is there during 42m41s-42m51s, but there seems to be some sort of "click"/change of volume around that. Very weird. 

So there is now apparently another audio issue (In Definitely Miami) not addressed in the 3 replacement discs? Has anyone brought this to the attention of Mill Creek?

And Mirror Image too. I'm not making these observations, I'm replying to others here who have mentioned them. I hope the people who originally spotted them have reported them, but two months down the line and these problems still being spotted, I don't think Mill Creek is ever going to sort them all out. And as I'm not in the US, there is no way I will ever find an online retailer selling corrected stock. So unless Mill Creek reissue it 100% fixed as a visibly different product, I will never have it from them.

Fabulous in the UK have dropped the ball too, as they're using the same masters - so whatever issues Mill Creek have with the 5.1, Fabulous do too. Just they don't have the stereo at all, so those stereo issues are unique to Mill Creek at the moment, with only two releases globally so far.

So, as I was saying, for my money at least, there is no Blu-ray set yet worthy of investment. And I hope some other territory picks the series up and sorts all this out.

Edited by bodie

• 2 weeks later...

"Definitely Miami" disc (S2D3 - Season 2 Disc 3) should be replaced and it hasn't. Precisely at the beginning of "Cry", there's the 10-second silence on 2.0. I don't know how it works, but if we reach a minimum of complains to Mill Creek, they'll probably replace it as well.

Edited by ivoryjones

1 hour ago, ivoryjones said:

Precisely at the beginning of "Cry", there's the 10-second silence on 2.0. 

That would make me wanna cry. 

There's an interesting doubt that surfaced on http://forum.blu-ray.com/

The doubt is when the earliest batch of Blu-Rays (that is, the one with the faulty discs) will be definitely out of the market? Apparently, it will be impossible to know "when" for sure, as it looks like there will be no stock replacement on stores (old batch being replaced by the new one).

To those who live in the US, a not so bad possibility is to buy the set whenever you want and immediately send the proof of purchase by email to Mill Creek anyway. It takes just that and they will send you all the discs that they have considered faulty (S1D1, S1D4, S4D4). But they're yet to be convinced that the 10-second silence on 2.0 Stereo audio of "Definitely Miami" (S2D3 - Season 2 Disc 3) deserves replacement (5.1 audio is all right, and it's "only" 10 seconds).

To those who live outside the US, be careful. Addresses outside the US won't get replacement. If you buy using a package forwarding service like shipito, that might work, but there are no guarantees.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2016 at 6:51 AM, James said:

Hmm, it's an off-screen photo so it's hard to judge. The comment about the audio in Heart of Darkness is worrying, it seems like even after Mill Creek's backlash - Fabulous Films still decided to release theirs with all of the same issues.

Surely they could've known that doing so would result in people complaining, asking for refunds, and them having to fix it anyway. So why wouldn't you save time and money by fixing it before release? They had months to do it. 

With Christmas coming it was doubtful they would've delayed it. Christmas is always been the time of the year to rush out things as the sales figures would be a tad bit better as unsuspecting Holiday shoppers might stumble onto the set without really looking into it and buy it for the Vice fans in their lives. Profit over quality is usually Universal's M.O. and I doubt it would be all that different for Mill Creek/Fabulous Films. 

Hey, everyone, I don't know if what I'm about to share here has been covered elsewhere, but I figured I would share it with you all here just in case.  This is info that will probably be of interest to folks that have not yet purchased the Blu-Ray set.  I myself have not yet purchased the Blu-Ray collection because of all the problems that have been discovered.  I have been in wait-and-see mode to determine what my course of action would be based on what Mill Creek would do.  I emailed customer support at Mill Creek and asked if they would be releasing new sets of the discs with all the corrections made.  The gentleman that responded said that the "new product with the revised discs are currently being manufactured," and that it would be sent to retailers in the near future.  I then asked him if he could give me a date, even if it was approximate, as to when these new sets would be available, and if one would be able to know how the new set is different from the original, problematic ones.  Here is the direct quote of his response: "The new copies will have an identifying mark on the spine art for Season One and Season Four.  There will be a product number listed on the spine to signify these are the revised versions.  A similar number will be found on the revised discs as well.  No specific date for when the new product will be in retail locations.  They have already started replicating and shipping the new product."  Just trying to be helpful to those like me who are going to be looking for this updated set and how to tell it from the original set with all the issues.  I want to add too that he was very quick in response time to me.  That would indicate to me that Mill Creek is trying to do the right thing by us all, between the replacement discs, the identifying marks on the new spines and discs, and the timely, professional manner in which my responses were received.  I'm not a Mill Creek employee or shill, lol, I just am sharing my experience with you all.  Have a great day!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, FerrariDaytonaSpyder said:

Hey, everyone, I don't know if what I'm about to share here has been covered elsewhere, but I figured I would share it with you all here just in case.  This is info that will probably be of interest to folks that have not yet purchased the Blu-Ray set.  I myself have not yet purchased the Blu-Ray collection because of all the problems that have been discovered.  I have been in wait-and-see mode to determine what my course of action would be based on what Mill Creek would do.  I emailed customer support at Mill Creek and asked if they would be releasing new sets of the discs with all the corrections made.  The gentleman that responded said that the "new product with the revised discs are currently being manufactured," and that it would be sent to retailers in the near future.  I then asked him if he could give me a date, even if it was approximate, as to when these new sets would be available, and if one would be able to know how the new set is different from the original, problematic ones.  Here is the direct quote of his response: "The new copies will have an identifying mark on the spine art for Season One and Season Four.  There will be a product number listed on the spine to signify these are the revised versions.  A similar number will be found on the revised discs as well.  No specific date for when the new product will be in retail locations.  They have already started replicating and shipping the new product."  Just trying to be helpful to those like me who are going to be looking for this updated set and how to tell it from the original set with all the issues.  I want to add too that he was very quick in response time to me.  That would indicate to me that Mill Creek is trying to do the right thing by us all, between the replacement discs, the identifying marks on the new spines and discs, and the timely, professional manner in which my responses were received.  I'm not a Mill Creek employee or shill, lol, I just am sharing my experience with you all.  Have a great day!

So far, it looks to me that Mill Creek has been trying to do the right thing all along.

I'm bothered with that fact that not too many buyers seem to mind about the "Definitely Miami" 10 seconds audio issue on Stereo. If there's one thing that was a huge surprise to me was the quality and power of the Stereo tracks on Mill Creek release (with exceptions like "Definitely Miami"). If there were some 5 or more contacting Mill Creek about it, I'm sure they would agree to also re-author S2D3 and replace it as well. But until that happens (it does not look like it will), old batches and new batches will have a 10 second failure, Stereo track only, right at the beginning of "Cry" on "Definitely Miami". It's a pity, as to me it is as iconic of Miami Vice as "In The Air Tonight" scene. As far as I know Fabulous Films did not release the Stereo track, but on the other hand it has more discs, so that suggests it will show less compression. I can see me easily having both sets one day...

1 hour ago, ivoryjones said:

So far, it looks to me that Mill Creek has been trying to do the right thing all along.

I'm glad to hear that. I missed the deleted thread entirely, so I didn't know if there was dissatisfaction with Mill Creek over all this. I was just giving my .02. 

• Like 1

On 06/01/2017 at 7:34 PM, BlackJack said:

For anyone interested in buying the UK discs, Zavvi are offering it about £50 cheaper than amazon

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/miami-vice-the-complete-series/11365402.html

Have to admit I'm tempted. If it's terrible (which I imagine it will be) I'll just return it for a refund

Do be warned, Zavvi's return process is a nightmare.

New info, yes it just gets worse; sound errors on the UK 5.1 of The Great McCarthy, don't know if it's the same on the US 5.1 - if you go to 17:40 there's a dropout and there's reports of seven more in the same episode :(

Is it worth buying the Mill Creek set now?  Or would it be better to wait and see if they, or someone else, make things 100% correct.  Or is that never going to happen?  I'd rather have a somewhat "flawed" set than none at all.  ;)

16 minutes ago, bodie said:

New info, yes it just gets worse; sound errors on the UK 5.1 of The Great McCarthy, don't know if it's the same on the US 5.1 - if you go to 17:40 there's a dropout and there's reports of seven more in the same episode :(

I had hoped for that just the episode "Heart of Darkness" was affected by audio issues... Do you have a link to this info?

Edited by summer84

3 hours ago, bodie said:

And this info comes from the updated release?

• Administrators
11 hours ago, bodie said:

Oh great... I'm really looking forward to receiving mine sometime next week.