Problems With the Blu-Ray Release!

Ferrariman

12 hours ago, Susanna Girl said:

Is it worth buying the Mill Creek set now?  Or would it be better to wait and see if they, or someone else, make things 100% correct.  Or is that never going to happen?  I'd rather have a somewhat "flawed" set than none at all.  ;)

Well as I said before, the problem is that you have to send off to Mill Creek for the fixes and at time of writing they have only acknowledged some of the problems reported here. They may get round to them all, I don't know. But unless they significantly alter the product visually, nobody is ever going to be sure what they have bought until they open it and play it.

12 hours ago, summer84 said:

I had hoped for that just the episode "Heart of Darkness" was affected by audio issues... Do you have a link to this info?

A friend of mine has the UK checkdiscs, that's what I've been making reference to all along and how things were posted here about the UK set before it was released.

9 hours ago, FerrariDaytonaSpyder said:

And this info comes from the updated release?

There is no updated UK release, Fabulous are looking into what corrected materials Mill Creek in the US are getting.

1 hour ago, James said:

Oh great... I'm really looking forward to receiving mine sometime next week. 

If this stuff matters to you and you don't want to risk being stuck with an expensive flawed product, I'd send it back unopened for a refund until such time as a fully correct run of episodes is available.

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 hours ago, bodie said:

If this stuff matters to you and you don't want to risk being stuck with an expensive flawed product, I'd send it back unopened for a refund until such time as a fully correct run of episodes is available.

But then I'll have an un-used Bluray player. An un-used birthday present. 

I'll just keep MV anyway, and do an extensive review for others.

Loads of other things on Blu-ray that have not been handled this poorly that you could enjoy instead of course. And Blu-ray players also play DVDs, so I bet it wouldn't be unused for long.

But my point is, once you open the shrink wrap, it's yours and you are at the mercy of if Fabulous issue any corrections. So if that's likely to bother you, I'd seriously consider if you want to go there.

It's why I've not bought it and why I've not imported the Mill Creek, as they will not send replacements outside of the US, so either way I'd be stuck with a flawed release that would bug the heck out of me. YMMV.

• Administrators

I went ahead and compared Brothers Keeper on Mill Creek with the Fabulous Films one. 

Mill Creek definitely looks slightly better picture wise. Fabulous Films added more colour and contract. I feel like they added a bit too much contrast which is making the picture look odd. It has some extra film grain, which I assume is from the contrast because it looks more digitalized film grain rather than analogue film grain from the film itself, because from my experience - adding more contrast can make some defects more obvious. But it's something I'd do when I watch on VLC Media Player, I always add more colour and slightly more contrast.  I just feel like they added a bit too much contrast to it, but the colour levels are spot on. 

Or perhaps Mill Creek done something to remove some grain and this is proper film grain. Hard to tell. I just feel like Mill Creek's version looks more natural.

As far as sound goes - I haven't gotten around to viewing the affected episodes yet. I'll update you all as I come accross any.

Though I'm still happy with my purchase because it still looks better than the old DVD's. We'll just have to live with it until the next big format comes along and Universal re-re-master it. Or maybe Universal will decide to release their own box set with all the audio issues fixed, unlikely though. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Heart of Darkness - Audio echoing in the intro scene. Fine for a few minutes after title sequence, then more echoing until 15:00. Starts again at 21:30 and stops 24:20 after the cut-away. Starts again... Around 30:00, but only off-sync slightly. 

13 minutes ago, James said:

Heart of Darkness - Audio echoing in the intro scene. Fine for a few minutes after title sequence, then more echoing until 15:00. Starts again at 21:30 and stops 24:20 after the cut-away 

Is this problem in both 5.1 and 2.0 audio tracks?

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Is this problem in both 5.1 and 2.0 audio tracks?

Fabulous Films only have the 5.1 track. I think stereo was fine on Mill Creek.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, James said:

Though I'm still happy with my purchase because it still looks better than the old DVD's. We'll just have to live with it until the next big format comes along and Universal re-re-master it. Or maybe Universal will decide to release their own box set with all the audio issues fixed, unlikely though. 

According to the reply I got from Fabulous Films, when I asked about the audio issues, where I also mentioned the "Heart of Darkness" episode and if it would be looked into and fixed: Quoting "For Season 1, all episodes (except the pilot) were created as a pseudo 5.1 mix from the original mono master (and thus have identical information across the L/C/R channels).  Some degree of sync issues / slipping appear to exist in these remixes and they are not perfect by any means. These remixes were all done about 10 or so years ago and were created and approved by NBC on a limited budget.  There are no current remixes being done for any episodes of Miami Vice."

39 minutes ago, James said:

Heart of Darkness - Audio echoing in the intro scene. Fine for a few minutes after title sequence, then more echoing until 15:00. Starts again at 21:30 and stops 24:20 after the cut-away. Starts again... Around 30:00, but only off-sync slightly. 

Are these audio issues tolerable or too distracting to ignore?

• Like 1

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, summer84 said:

According to the reply I got from Fabulous Films, when I asked about the audio issues, where I also mentioned the "Heart of Darkness" episode and if it would be looked into and fixed: Quoting "For Season 1, all episodes (except the pilot) were created as a pseudo 5.1 mix from the original mono master (and thus have identical information across the L/C/R channels).  Some degree of sync issues / slipping appear to exist in these remixes and they are not perfect by any means. These remixes were all done about 10 or so years ago and were created and approved by NBC on a limited budget.  There are no current remixes being done for any episodes of Miami Vice."

Are these audio issues tolerable or too distracting to ignore?

Ah that makes sense. Thanks for the info.

The intro scene is very obvious, however the issues later on are slight, might not even be noticeable on a surround sound system.

Whether it's watchable - I'll give it a 5/10. I could tolerate it, but I'm sure there are people out there who wouldn't.

Don't know why they bothered remixing the audio in the first place.

• Like 1

It's how it was for the DVDs in the UK, no stereo mixes there either, and that was from Universal themselves. It and the HD scanning is just to try and keep these series saleable by being up to current standards. But the effort falls flat when errors are introduced during the upgrade process.

Just now, James said:

Here's the menu for Fabulous Films, if anyone's interested.

20170119_004357.jpg?dl=1

Is that a still of Crockett with his eyes closed ? Or do they run a running video of that scene with music in the menu section ?!

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Is that a still of Crockett with his eyes closed ? Or do they run a running video of that scene with music in the menu section ?!

It's a video. I just happened to take the photo at that moment. :p 

• Like 1

Just now, James said:

It's a video. I just happened to take the photo at that moment. :p 

Ha ha thankyou for clarifying :D

With this blu ray release you can't be sure !?

Does anyone have a short list of the issues with the Mill Creek release that they STILL have not yet addressed? If someone can summarize them into a short bullet list we can all email them and request they make/issue further replacement discs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

Does anyone have a short list of the issues with the Mill Creek release that they STILL have not yet addressed? If someone can summarize them into a short bullet list we can all email them and request they make/issue further replacement discs.

Not addressed yet, up to the present moment there's only one remaining issue (more might come):

S2D3: "Definitely Miami", 10 seconds blank on 2.0 (Stereo) track, starting at 42'41''

I've already contacted Mill Creek specifically about this issue, but I've got no reply. I'm sure not enough people are complaining. Everyone that's bought the set and simply feels like emailing them a line about it will be of great help.

Thanks for getting into the subject!

• Administrators
2 hours ago, ivoryjones said:

Not addressed yet, up to the present moment there's only one remaining issue (more might come):

S2D3: "Definitely Miami", 10 seconds blank on 2.0 (Stereo) track, starting at 42'41''

I've already contacted Mill Creek specifically about this issue, but I've got no reply. I'm sure not enough people are complaining. Everyone that's bought the set and simply feels like emailing them a line about it will be of great help.

The 5.1 track is fine though, just the obvious switch for where they used to old audio track and cut away to a new/replaced Godly & Creme - Cry. Not perfect, but it's fine.

That's probably why they're not going to bother with it, because it isn't a big enough issue. 

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:52 PM, James said:

I went ahead and compared Brothers Keeper on Mill Creek with the Fabulous Films one. 

So James, do you mean you bought both  the Mill Creek and Fabulous Films releases?  Sorry but in rereading this entire thread just now I could not tell sometimes which version some are commenting about.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

3 hours ago, ivoryjones said:

Thanks ivory. After rereading this thread it seems there may be one more issue? 

Is it true that the reissued Mill Creek disc that includes Mirror Image has  completely muted Stereo 2.0 audio track?

If so then from what I read in here these appear to be the only 2 unaddressed issues for the Mill Creek discs.

Once we all agree I will put these 2 points into an email and send to: support@millcreekent.com

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

So James, do you mean you bought both  the Mill Creek and Fabulous Films releases?  Sorry but in rereading this entire thread just now I could not tell sometimes which version some are commenting about.

Nah, I downloaded the Mill Creek pilot to see how it looked. :)

On 1/20/2017 at 0:47 AM, Sonny-Burnett said:

Thanks ivory. After rereading this thread it seems there may be one more issue? 

Is it true that the reissued Mill Creek disc that includes Mirror Image has  completely muted Stereo 2.0 audio track?

If so then from what I read in here these appear to be the only 2 unaddressed issues for the Mill Creek discs.

Once we all agree I will put these 2 points into an email and send to: support@millcreekent.com

Sonny-Burnett, Mill Creek at the last minute has included "Mirror Image" in the replacement program, and the replacement disc of it (at least mine) seems to be perfect. People who received the replacement discs have received so far discs S1D1 (for "Heart of Darkness" substitution of 5.1 audio), S1D4 (for "The Home Invaders" and "Nobody Lives Forever" inclusion of 5.1 audio, and for "Evan" substitution of 5.1 audio) and S4D4 (for "Mirror Image" inclusion of 2.0 Stereo audio).

So, at the moment, as far as I know, buyers who feel like doing it might consider contacting Mill Creek about the "Definitely Miami" issue on S2D3. Stereo (2.0) audio gets muted for 10 seconds, starting on 42'41''.

Many will say it's not a big deal. I understand the point, I really do. But I just can't stand to have the "Cry" iconic sequence of that episode destroyed by such an amateurish job. To me, this is just as serious as having the "In the Air Tonight" of the pilot screwed up.

• Like 2