Problems With the Blu-Ray Release!

Ferrariman

5 hours ago, ivoryjones said:

Sonny-Burnett, Mill Creek at the last minute has included "Mirror Image" in the replacement program, and the replacement disc of it (at least mine) seems to be perfect. People who received the replacement discs have received so far discs S1D1 (for "Heart of Darkness" substitution of 5.1 audio), S1D4 (for "The Home Invaders" and "Nobody Lives Forever" inclusion of 5.1 audio, and for "Evan" substitution of 5.1 audio) and S4D4 (for "Mirror Image" inclusion of 2.0 Stereo audio).

So, at the moment, as far as I know, buyers who feel like doing it might consider contacting Mill Creek about the "Definitely Miami" issue on S2D3. Stereo (2.0) audio gets muted for 10 seconds, starting on 42'41''.

Many will say it's not a big deal. I understand the point, I really do. But I just can't stand to have the "Cry" iconic sequence of that episode destroyed by such an amateurish job. To me, this is just as serious as having the "In the Air Tonight" of the pilot screwed up.

Thanks for clarifying, Ivory. To me at least this audio muting is a big deal, as that happens to be my favorite episode. And as you said, it's an iconic scene.

I'll fire off an email with the issue you flagged. Hopefully others in  here will as well.

All in all I think Mill Creek at least has acted honorably in issuing replacements, albeit with a minimalist release (no extras and flimsy packaging). But the price was right.

Now if we could only get a price cut on the Nash Bridges Blu-ray release....

• Like 1

Any errors need fixing. The series should be perfect or why should people want to buy it when the DVDs all have error free sound? These are supposed to be a step forward on the A/V, so there needs to not be a single step back, for my money at least.

• Like 1

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, bodie said:

Any errors need fixing. The series should be perfect or why should people want to buy it when the DVDs all have error free sound? These are supposed to be a step forward on the A/V, so there needs to not be a single step back, for my money at least.

Because only a handful of episodes have issues, and the video quality is amazing.

I watched Cool Runnin', The Hit List, Calderone's Demise, One Eyed Jack, and No Exit and they're all flawless. Making me happy with a purchase, despite the few defects on a few episodes.

1 hour ago, bodie said:

39 minutes ago, James said:

Because only a handful of episodes have issues, and the video quality is amazing.

These two posts are the argument I have with myself every time I almost order a set. It's like I have a little Crockett on one shoulder and a little Burnett on the other! :) 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 3

Of course. It's like I said a few posts back, if you know it will bug the heck out of you, don't go there. If you can live with it, do. My irritation with this issue is not directed at anyone here; it's at a situation which is like being given your dream car after waiting ten years (how long I've wanted MV on Blu-ray), only to then find the tyres have slow punctures, there's something wrong with the engine, there's a squeak in the seat and one of the panels is rusting. Many people could drive happy with that... me, I see it as so near, but yet so far ;)

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

These two posts are the argument I have with myself every time I almost order a set. It's like I have a little Crockett on one shoulder and a little Burnett on the other! :) 

Lol. Same thing with me, but in the end I decided to jump in with both feet and see it for myself. And the fact that my parents surprised me a Blu Ray player for my birthday and I never actually bought the DVD's kind of helped my decision lol. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dadrian said:

lol....go with Burnett. It's better to be bad.  :p

• Like 1

• Administrators
14 hours ago, James said:

I watched Cool Runnin', The Hit List, Calderone's Demise, One Eyed Jack, and No Exit and they're all flawless. Making me happy with a purchase, despite the few defects on a few episodes.

Are the episodes actually listed as "Hit List" and "Calderone's Demise" or did they stick with "The Return of Calderone"?  I've always hated that!

9 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

...or did they stick with "The Return of Calderone"?  I've always hated that!

Which release said that? I haven't noticed. 

29 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

Are the episodes actually listed as "Hit List" and "Calderone's Demise" or did they stick with "The Return of Calderone"?  I've always hated that!

I was also hoping to finally see an official release with "Hit List" and "Calderone's Demise", Ferrariman! Unfortunately, not this time!

One thing that I enjoyed was seeing the Universal logo closing the episodes. I hated that the official DVDs cut that out.

I wonder also why the commercial bumpers are always out of the question... My brother has a Twilight Zone set (the classic series) and the episodes have commercial bumpers (at least the ones I was able to watch).

Edited by ivoryjones

19 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Which release said that? I haven't noticed. 

That's a special version that NBC broadcast in May 24, 1985. It turns the 2 parts into a 90-minute movie. That's the one with the parachute pants dialogue, the Castillo-era pink glow opening (but with Gregory Sierra credits instead!), the more violent death of Calderone and also alternative takes when Tubbs tells Angelina that her father was a criminal.

To me, the paradise release would have both versions, "Hit List" + "Calderone's Demise" and "The Return of Calderone". Maybe one day, when history and criticism gives Miami Vice the right status!   

• Like 2

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

Mine from Mill Creek say:

Calderone's Return: Part 1

Calderone's Return: Part 2

I can confirm that Fabulous Films says the same. (Obviously, since they're the same masters)

Ok, the mutes in The Great McCarthy are somewhat annoying. It's like the sound guy forgot to finish it and some pieces of dialogue are left out. If every line of script is it's own piece of audio, he or she just forgot to add a few in there. If it was just the once while Rico was meeting McCarthy (with Crockett having fun on the boat), then I'd let it slide, but about 10 minutes later it happened again, more than once on Crockett's lines. Probably about 2-3 times from memory. I didn't take notes of the times this time. But like I said - It's only a few lines, so if you can tolerate a 2 second mute every now and then... 

It's a shame because the whole episode had perfect sound, there's no echoing or anything, that issue is unique to Heart of Darkness. I think Universal just released an unfinished project in this case.

So that means, so far only two episodes in Season 1 have these sound issues. What about Brother's Keeper?

I would love to watch Miami Vice with great picture quality, but now reading about those errors in "Great McCarthy" kind of makes me doubt... :)

• Like 1

• Administrators

Still waiting for all the problems to be ironed out before I buy mine.  Are all of these little glitches corrected with the replacement discs they're offering?

• Administrators
48 minutes ago, summer84 said:

So that means, so far only two episodes in Season 1 have these sound issues. What about Brother's Keeper?

I would love to watch Miami Vice with great picture quality, but now reading about those errors in "Great McCarthy" kind of makes me doubt... :)

Brothers Keeper, Cool Runnin', Calderone's Return Parts 1 & 2, One Eyed Jack, and No Exit are all flawless, and I'm not expecting any more issues in season 1. If I come across any,  I'll post them here of course.

Can't wait until I get up to season 2, I heard the video quality gets even better. And I've already experienced these HD masters of season 1 through Hulu Plus' releases.

On 1/24/2017 at 9:47 AM, Ferrariman said:

Still waiting for all the problems to be ironed out before I buy mine.  Are all of these little glitches corrected with the replacement discs they're offering?

Mill Creek is yet to include "Definitely Miami" in the Replacement Program (other issues, from other episodes, were fixed). I'm not sure that's going to happen, as it is "just" a 10-second mute on Stereo audio, and the 5.1 audio is fine.  It hurts the "Cry" scene, I'm sure you won't like it... But apparently not enough buyers cared to contact Mill Creek...

We can't rule out other issues coming up at the moment. I'm watching S3 now, but I'm only listening to 2.0 audio.

I'm very sad to hear Fabulous Films, as Mill Creek, is showing issues...

Edited by ivoryjones

• Administrators

It's Universals fault, not Fabulous Films or Mill Creek's. Universal shouldn't have given them out with those issues. It shouldn't have even gotten past quality control. 

How could the sound editor sit there, review their work and think "Yep, this is fine"? I hope whoever it was lost their job, because they obviously didn't care enough to do their job properly. Never in my life have I experienced anything with such obviously and terrible sound work, it's completely unprofessional, especially for a brand with the calibre of Universal Studios.

And how could the stereo track have a mute? Didn't they use the old stereo track?

I doubt it's as simple as that. Especially when Mill Creek DVDs of the same masters don't have some of the problems. I think it's a more complicated issue that probably only arose when encoding these losslessly for Blu-ray, rather than being burned in to the masters themselves. End of the day, the 5.1 is an upconvert of the stereo original, so there should be nothing wrong with any of the stereo tracks, and yet there is. So I think it's down to encoding for Blu-ray rather than what Universal are holding, but I could be wrong. And yes I do know that Mill Creek have pointed the finger at Universal (and Fabulous are just bumbling after Mill Creek asking them what they managed to get fixed), but they've not mentioned the disparity between their own Mill Creek DVDs of these masters and their Blu-rays.

Edited by bodie

The "cheapest" alternative available for purchase of the Miami Vice Blu-ray box set is now sold out on zavvi.com                    

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/miami-vice-the-complete-series/11365402.html

I must say, I was surprised, cause it's still rather expensive. Or I'm guessing maybe there were a limited amount in stock being the reason for that the discs got sold so fast? 

The current price on amazon is £139.48. Amazon.co.uk is slowly beginning to reduce the price. And I also hope that Fabulous Films fixes all the audio issues like it was mentioned by someone on the Blu-ray forum, that they were working on...

It looks like I'll be waiting a long time for this release. :D

Edited by summer84

• Administrators
On 01/02/2017 at 0:33 AM, summer84 said:

The "cheapest" alternative available for purchase of the Miami Vice Blu-ray box set is now sold out on zavvi.com                    

I must say, I was surprised, cause it's still rather expensive. Or I'm guessing maybe there were a limited amount in stock being the reason for that the discs got sold so fast? 

The current price on amazon is £139.48. Amazon.co.uk is slowly beginning to reduce the price. And I also hope that Fabulous Films fixes all the audio issues like it was mentioned by someone on the Blu-ray forum, that they were working on...

Wow, it's $40 cheaper on Zavvi than what I got mine for. Amazon's down to $10 cheaper than I paid for mine. I got mine from a third party store which was cheaper than Amazon at the time of purchase.

A good time to take a "Leap of Faith" on the Blu Ray. The audio issues aren't that big of a deal IMO, it's only a few episodes. All the other episodes have been flawless so far, I watched The Maze last night and looked and sounded great. Like I said with my clever pun - It's a leap of faith.

On 1/31/2017 at 3:33 PM, summer84 said:

2 hours ago, James said:

Wow, it's $40 cheaper on Zavvi than what I got mine for. Amazon's down to $10 cheaper than I paid for mine. I got mine from a third party store which was cheaper than Amazon at the time of purchase.

A good time to take a "Leap of Faith" on the Blu Ray. The audio issues aren't that big of a deal IMO, it's only a few episodes. All the other episodes have been flawless so far, I watched The Maze last night and looked and sounded great. Like I said with my clever pun - It's a leap of faith.

Guys, watch here, the best price very, very cheap, i have been seeing this seller for quite a while, they offer the best price you would ever find. I will buy it from the also  www.ebay.com/itm/Miami-Vice-Complete-80s-TV-Series-Seasons-1-2-3-4-5-BluRay-Box-Set-NEW-/322249560213?hash=item4b07921095:g:I~AAAOSw9IpXybrq

• Administrators
2 hours ago, S0NNY said:

Guys, watch here, the best price very, very cheap, i have been seeing this seller for quite a while, they offer the best price you would ever find. I will buy it from the also  www.ebay.com/itm/Miami-Vice-Complete-80s-TV-Series-Seasons-1-2-3-4-5-BluRay-Box-Set-NEW-/322249560213?hash=item4b07921095:g:I~AAAOSw9IpXybrq

That's for the Mill Creek (US/Region 1) release, Summer84 and I were talking about the Fabulous Films version. 

In my opinion, the picture for Fabulous Films looks a lot better than Mill Creek also. Better colours. 

Oh and guys! - One thing I forgot to mention is the ordering of seaosn 5 on the Fabulous Films release - The cut episodes are in the order they later aired in, so they're AFTER Freefall. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:57 PM, Sonny-Burnett said:

So, at the moment, as far as I know, buyers who feel like doing it might consider contacting Mill Creek about the "Definitely Miami" issue on S2D3. Stereo (2.0) audio gets muted for 10 seconds, starting on 42'41''.

Speaking of Mill Creek, they have still not yet responded to my email about this issue from just under 2 weeks ago, and in the past they were fairly prompt In responding to the original replacement disc issues. I mentioned to them that I know others have also reported this to them.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

13 hours ago, James said:

I found out yesterday, that there is this website, which gives a good overview of how the prices have changed through a period of time for Fabulous Films Blu-ray release of Miami Vice. I thought you had bought yours from Amazon. I didn't know there also was a third party store, until I saw this link with price history: http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Miami-Vice-Complete-Don-Johnson/product/B01MFC5GBK?context=browse I couldn't figure out, which online store that is?

Great to know, that most of the episodes on Season 1 are flawless and I'm expecting the last five are going to be as well. :thumbsup:

And yeah you're right it is kind of a "Leap of Faith" decision. I almost got tempted to buy the set, when I read that, but it's just still too expensive for me. :)

Would love to see some screenshots! And how are the night scenes picture quality?

Edited by summer84