Two Cops are better than One - Unreleased Track from Miami Vice?

Den Taylor

I found this on youtube a while ago....
according to the French description mangled through google translator this is an unpublished Miami Vice tune by Jan Hammer.

Well, it does sounds a lot like it...
But you know how these people can be on youtube.
So can anybody tell me if this is
a) really Jan Hammer?
b) really from Miami Vice? (if so, why wasn't it used or released?)
c) from one of his other works or soundtracks?
d) just a tune from a Hammer fan? (if so, good work!)

Either way, I certainly enjoy listening to it. :radio: What about you?

p.s.: If this song has already been posted, my apologies - a search didn't give me any results.

Edited by Den Taylor
spelling mistake
  • Like 3

• Administrators

It has a Jan Hammerish sound to it but the more I listen, the more I would say it's someone trying to copy his style.   If it is him, the one thing I know for sure is it is not from Miami Vice. Jan has scored several movies but I still don't recognize it. Not a bad tune but In my opinion it actually sounds like an amateur copying his style.

Dadrian, what do you think?

1 hour ago, Ferrariman said:

It has a Jan Hammerish sound to it but the more I listen, the more I would say it's someone trying to copy his style.   If it is him, the one thing I know for sure is it is not from Miami Vice. Jan has scored several movies but I still don't recognize it. Not a bad tune but In my opinion it actually sounds like an amateur copying his style.

Dadrian, what do you think?

:) 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dadrian said:

:) 

Agreed - this sounds like a copy but a good one :D

Also, there are some synth patches there that don't sound typical of Jan Hammer to me, at least as far as I know his music. The first lead synth for instance (around 0'16"), there's some sort of low oscillation on it (I think it's not a low vibrato but a low PWM) that is too noticeable for Jan's style. To be fair, I do recall something like that in "Little Prince" (the melody associated to Jorgenson Jr., first heard in the interrogation room scene), but I would still say it's pretty exceptional. Moreover, that brass patch used for accompanying chords around 0'40'', I wouldn't say Jan would never use that, but it also sounds a little unfamiliar to me. And I think it's a track somewhat exceptionally extended.

Well, my guess it's not Jan's. If it is, then maybe it's something from the "Drive" era (or later), that one a particular album that I enjoy but can't succeed at falling in love with it.

• Like 1

Definitely in the style of Jan Hammer, but that FM/guitar lead in the middle of the track sounds too muddled to resemble anything from the series, in my experience. I'm sure Jan liked to mix the DX-7 a bit higher. Also, the composition is too conventional! A good attempt, yes, but it ain't no Jan Hammer. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I agree. What probably gives it away the most ist the length. Jan would have cut that down to 3 minutes or so. And probably would have used a bit more percussion...and a tad more variety/ unconventional arrangements. But still an enjoyable track. :)

Its kind of beyond me why someone would pretend to be Jan Hammer instead of taking the credit with their own name and writing something like "Jan Hammer style". I'm sure this happens to other artists on youtube too and I'm wondering how they usually react to someting like this. On the one hand they probably feel flattered but on the other hand annoyed? Especially if the track was poor...

Zitat

Well, my guess it's not Jan's. If it is, then maybe it's something from the "Drive" era (or later), that one a particular album that I enjoy but can't succeed at falling in love with it.

Nah, the drums and percussion during the drive era are too different. But I agree with your statement "can't succeed at falling in love with it." I have a hard time digging it myself....mainly because of those drums. But a few tracks I really like.

Edited by Den Taylor
grammar