Episode #12 "Milk Run"

Ferrariman

• 8 months later...

For the life of me I couldn't remember seeing this episode by it's title. As it began to unfold, I realized I saw it maybe twice. After it ended, with a tear in my eye, I knew this one rated a 10 in my book. This is another episode where Crockett shows himself to be a man of his word & a real stand-up guy. The sleaze laywer Sloane, told the naive kids, Sonny would use them & then throw them in jail. Sonny had the charges dropped as he promised them. There are some light moments with Sonny looking at the girl's legs at the airport, crashing into the luggage cart & Tubbs laughing at him,Sonny throwing his hot dog in Sloane's sports car. He offered to buy Rico a hot dog & Rico said he was a vegetarian. Funniest line : Rico: "How are you gonna get through the night with one those mystery meat tubes in your stomach?" Sonny: " You're right, give me two." Castillo says his famous "Keep me posted.", line. What really impressed me was the teamwork & camaraderie & equal time between C & T in this one.They seem like real partners & buddies. Unforgettable scene: Crockett sitting on the floor of the airport gift shop with Eddie Rivers' blood all over his white jacket & Tubbs saying "Let's get the car" & Crockett says: "yeah" but doesn't get up & starts to break down with grief. Very sad, but powerful! Yeah, I give it a 10!

• Like 3

The three episode weak spell we experienced after The Great McCarthy comes to an end with this terrific episode. Firstly, gotta love the opening at the airport . ZZTop's'Legs' great song, Crockett and Tubbs scaring Louis and Eddie out of their proposed plans and then an excellent chase through the airport with a nice Hammer tune. Great intro. I also love the scene at the Dade County Courthouse where Crockett talks with the slimey lawyer. Great location obviously and some good lines, especially about the teenyboppers coming down with their life savings. I also liked the stakeout scene with Crockett and Tubbs thinking Eddie was scared all the way back home but at the same time he and Louis were at the airport going through with their plans. Very good guest stars in this ep. Evan Handler, Eric Bogosian, John Kapelos and Al Shannon were also just right for their parts. And is it just me or is John Leguizamo a background extra at the punk movie theatre? Looks like Calderone Junior was stalking Tubbs early on. Also, good exposure for Switek and Zito in this episode but this is also another one without Gina and Trudy. And another thing, the boxing in this episode is a precusor to Down For The Count. Some great shots of Ocean Drive and South Beach in this episode. I really liked the shots of Crockett and Tubbs driving down Ocean Drive. We get a good view of the Revere Hotel beside the Versace house. Versace had it demolished so he could put in a garden on the site. I also love the use of the Senator Hotel in this episode. That hotel was also demolished a few years after this episode and a car park now occupies the site. I suppose you have to bow to progress. Eddie made it back to Miami in one piece but I thought it was a bit of a stretch how he wouldn't be searched thoroughly by the airport authorities upon returning from a drug country but we can overlook that. There's a great scene with Eddie in custody after he gets busted. "You committed a felony. Now either play ball or do the time". Crockett really felt for Eddie. He knows he's just a dumb kid who screwed up once and made a bad mistake. He's not inherently bad and Crockett wants to help him. The sequence where the cops watch over the rip-off deal is very tense. I absolutely love Jan's tune 'Rain', one of my favourite tunes of his and it's used to great effect in this episode. We also get brief bursts of 'Crockett's Theme' which is always great. The climax at the airport is great. They think they're home free but the shooter has other ideas. Eddie gets wasted. The devestation of Crockett was palpable.You could sense the pain in his voice. The closing shot was so powerful yet understated. This episode served as a good warning to potential smugglers of the risks they face. A wonderful episode that gets better every time you see it. Probably my favourite episode of S1 and a top 10 favourite of mine.10/10

Guest neworder

Solid episode, great intro, nice United classic 747 landing right at the beginning. This episode has a decent storyline, emotional at the end. Crockett sports some decent clothes in this ep, looking very slick for the majority of it. Some great lines to;"are we going anywhere in particular, or are we just contributing to the ozone layer" being one from Tubbs thats quite amusing. Good interogation scene with crockett acting moody with that stupid kid. Blah blah, great episode. 9/10

10/10. Milk Run is one of my favourites ever. I consider it a sort of pilot because it's the very first ep I watched entirely and that got me hooked to the show.Milk Run made me understand that Crockett was more than just a pretty face, a cool car and fashionable clothes; it revealed his human nature, his feelings for Eddie were seen throughout the entire story, especially when he promises Eddie that he will be safe.Crockett's behaviour towards Eddie and Louis is quite fascinating, going from sarcastic (at the airport, when he tells Rico about the two experienced dealers, or the torture methods) to extremely concerned for their safety in the deal scene at the Senator, with 'Rain' in the background.The final scene is in a class of its own, in a word: perfect.When Crockett is sitting on the floor my mind always rewinds the ep’s main events, I can feel Crockett’s desperation because he couldn’t keep his word and this adds even more intensity to his breakdown.Strangely enough, I’m writing my very first ep review about Milk Run … what a coincidence!

• Like 1

Milk RunBy far, one of my fav raves, to quote someone close to my heart. I've already mentioned the Jan Hammer "Rain" scene with Rico and Sonny looking out at the Miami street while it pours outside. And the airport scene with Sonny in tears on the floor is a MV defining moment. But Rico's reaction to that tragedy speaks volumes for me. He sees Sonny struggling and he sits next to his friend, his partner, trying to find the words to comfort him. He fails and decides he'll just "be there". The music builds, and the camera pulls back as we take in the tragedy of it all. Sonny had criticized the lawyer for lying to Eddie. He promises Eddie that if he cooperated, he would be taken care of. The kid belived him and he is blown away. The helplessness Crockett feels as he sits on the floor, is palpable. I almost wanted to cry with him. What a powerful TV moment that scene was!! 10 out of 10 for me!MJ

• Like 2

I give this episode a 7. The action content was a bit lacking, and the supense throughout the ep was mid level, but I found the ending was touching.

Funnily enough I just sat down a couple of days ago and thought "I must do that review of Milk Run on the Vice forum". As I turned on the tv, Evan Handler's bald head popped up in some film that immediately came on screen.I loved this episode as well. Despite it's depressing and nihilistic ending, what I liked about this episode was that it was quite upbeat, and humerous in places. This was in contrast to the previous episode, "Little Prince", which for me was much darker.One of my favourite scenes was the conversation at the table near the beginning of the episode. What made me laugh was the irony of how Louis was just talking about how he and Eddie were riding a lucky streak, and how they were going to ride it to the stars. Then immediately, Crockett and Tubbs come along, immediately ruining their lucky streak. Louis and Eddie's faces were a picture. I loved the subseqent chase, immediately after Tubbs was seen sliding about all over in a pool of pink goo. Somebody told me (it might have been DanJ), that some of the chase sequence was actually shot in a shopping mall, rather than Miami International airport.I loved the bit where Crockett throws his hotdog in the back of Sloan's car. I retraced the steps of the subsequent "a 55 gallon drum being conveniently delivered in the middle of the night" conversation between Crockett and Tubbs during my Miami trip in 2006. That was a Sunday afternoon, and the whole area was completely deserted. I couldn't help repeating the dialogue to myself whilst retracing their steps. That was almost a religious experience for a die hard Vicer such as myself!One thing that struck me was, when Eddie was getting cold feet and Louis was trying to reassure him that nothing was going to go wrong, if he was so confident that nothing was going to go wrong then why didn't HE go to Bogota instead of Eddie. Easy to say there's nothing to worry about when it's not your a** on the line!Moya's cousin in Bogota made me laugh. Think he was getting high on his own supply, due to the fact that he kept laughing and his speech was barely comprehensible. "It's like a beautiful woman. If you're not careful, then she'll take you by the aaarrrrgghh.... argghhhh?". Loved "Hit me with your best shot". It reflected the upbeat feel of the episode. I noticed the guy who played Diego Moya also appeared in "Borrasca" and "Buddies".Thought the final scene displayed the best acting we'd seen from Don up to that point. I have to say that Don doesn't usually do sadness very well (although he improved on this by Nash Bridges), but that was first class acting. Crockett's emotion was made all the more poignant by the fact that he promised Eddie twice that hed get him out of this situation in one piece, a promise he failed to make good on.8 out of 10.

Overall a very good episode with Don Johnson giving one of his finest Crockett performances in the gut-wrenching finale. Excellent use of ZZ Top's "Legs" in the opening (to note for those seeking music from Vice the version used is the eight-minute Dance mix). An episode which pulls no punches depicting the ugliest parts of the drug trade and its effect on the people trying to stop it. 9/10

Edited by agent 47
New review due to Blu-ray viewing.

• Administrators

a 10 ***** in my book.back in the eighties drugs were as existent as alkohol in german discotheques. i remember that we discussed the possibility of making quick money several times. and - like little miss d. already posted - it's still a true story .. still today after 20 years nothing has really changed concerning this topic.it's an episode with great interaction between cockett and tubbs. i always have to laugh when i watch the scene at the beginning when sonny and rico play their game with the two boys at the airport. i also like their conversation in the car later.i also love sonnys flying hotdog which take seat in sloanes car. sonny seems to have a preference for disposing food on the backseats of expensive convertibles. i remember him throwing a chicken on the backseat of leons car in the pilot. also tubbs is in perfect condition -> his jump into the daytona is really stylish.there are only two things i'm annoyed with:first the smoking bad guy was never a smoker in real life. he holds the lighter like a ... nonsmoker.second the smugglers were obviously technically well equipped but they behaved like amateurs. if you know you're working with chemicals like acetone and ether you wouldn't have entered the house with a burning cigarette, would you ? *BOOOM*the fact that sonny promised eddie to bring him save home after he convinced the boy to work together with vice increases the episodes tragic. sonny is not able to keep his word! a deep respect for dj's play!

• 4 months later...

Crockett tells Castillo he sent Mann and Teranova as surveillance to the gym.Could this be a nod to the Boss Mann Michael?

saw this the other day again after a long time and very much liked it...i had initially given it a 7, but now i think it should be a 9/10.

• 1 month later...

I have watched this episode a few times and it just doesn't rate that high in my book. A couple of young punks trying to get into the drug business without any real criminal ties i.e. street gang ties or a reputation as legitimate buyers give me a break. Then Eddie going to South America by himself and making a connection with a supplier without being killed in the process. A real drug dealer or supplier would pick up on a naive person such as Eddie with the result being that they kill him, take his money and keep the drugs. This epsisode rates a 5 at best.

• 3 months later...

Watched again - and a big improvement over the previous three episodes - "Little Prince" . "Give a Little.." & "Glades". The episodes from here on in and are top notch ("Golden Triangle" etc).This was a good episode with nice JH music .7.5/10:)

• 1 month later...

classic mann endingone of the great endings...."yeah lets go get the car"...sonny at his emotional best...fyi rain was my blackberry alarm for 2 years...waking me up every day...but i must say that now thanks to dadrian wilson...i know wake up to phil the shill...thanks man...

• 4 months later...

Just watched this episode today. Been a year or more since I last saw it. Gets better each time. Great interaction between all characters. Like a lot of the episodes, I love the small bits of humour with Zito and Switec.10 points for me.

• 1 month later...

I know several really like this episode...but to be honest this one doesn't really "do" much for me. I did like the scenes where Sonny sticks up for the kids and smears the crooked lawyer. But, other than that the rest to me was kind of sad, depressing, and even boring. I gave it a 5.

• 1 month later...

Another one of my favorite eppys from the 1st season.Great opening scene at the airport, can't go wrong with some ZZ Top.Went a bit "ABC Afterschool Special" at times, but i liked how Sonny fought to get these kids a break.Also has one of the saddest endings of a MV episode.Finally "Rain" is another one of my favorite scores by Jan Hammer.