Episode #12 "Milk Run"

Ferrariman

15 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

I don't get it. I never read Archie, but I know Archie Bunker from "All in the Family." "Stifle yourself, meathead!"

Sorry I should have mentioned "The Good Collar". Sonny connected with Eddie in the same way he did with Archie's and his death was even more heartbreak for him. 

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Sad 1

On 2/26/2022 at 8:52 AM, RedDragon86 said:

Sorry I should have mentioned "The Good Collar". Sonny connected with Eddie in the same way he did with Archie's and his death was even more heartbreak for him. 

Oh, damn, I thought you were talking about Archie comics for some reason. :sick:

I agree, “The Good Collar” is definitely similar to “Milk Run.” Sonny tries to help a “kid” (more like young man) and it ends in tragedy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndrewRemington said:

Oh, damn, I thought you were talking about Archie comics for some reason. :sick:

“Beyond sick!” :) 

• Haha 2

I agree with ViceFanMan's earlier post, that "the not-happy ending" is a tool that tv series started to use heavily just around the time Vice and Magnum had become very popular shows...and that if that particular tool is OVERLY-used, it steers the show into agloomy or grimy overall attitude.  
Even if they weren't always standout, episodes like Milk Run (and Good Collar) served a vital job of setting the Miami "Vice-attitude" for our show, early in the first two seasons where nailing down a show's personality for the audience can be crucial.  

I feel as if Vice's attitude was that we're not hero cops like Hunter or TJ Hooker, etc, who win in nearly every episode and simply frown at the funeral for the fallen cop who didn't make it through the episode's victory with us, or drink a little sympathetic beer over the snitch that got killed in the middle of our victory.  
Vice's attitude was that our city is NEVER gonna look at us as heroes coming to the rescue at their festive coke parties, and we're likely gonna lose as many times as we have victories in our episodes, but that it's NOT that we'll ever feel like we're slowly drowning (not like the procedural Law and Order or SVU shows sometimes felt)... our Miami Vice purpose is to  constantly tread the water, to stop the city from overly filling up with dirt.  
To get that attitude just right, you have to give due credit to the tech team through the first three seasons.  The later "Miami's getting morally dark and bummed-out" mood of the last two seasons is one of the things we tend to complain they were getting wrong as the show went on. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

First MV episode aired in 1985.

Love the intro scene with ZZ top'Legs' in the background :p.

Eddie and Louis seemed to me sort of Badger and Skinny Pete TV precursors.

The sleazy lawyer Sloan i thought was the same actor as the lawyer assisting Sally Alvarado two episodes prior.

The ending was in true MV style and must have been gut wrenching for early - mid 80s TV audience. Even on re-watch decades later it still gives you goosebumps. That slow motion scene is TV masterpiece. You hardly see this nowadays.

On the other hand, Tubbs pursuing then shooting Montoya was very satisfying to watch.

Edited by sdiegolo78
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Good episode, good story, one hell of an ending. I'm only starting to watch MV again as a 30-something (having gotten into it as a teenager, nearly 20-year-old). I find Crockett nearly unlikable in this one due to how quickly and frequently he flies off the handle, with Tubbs having to play the blue to his red. At least it gave us one of many memorable memes from the series' run. :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Swevicus said:

Good episode, good story, one hell of an ending. I'm only starting to watch MV again as a 30-something (having gotten into it as a teenager, nearly 20-year-old). I find Crockett nearly unlikable in this one due to how quickly and frequently he flies off the handle, with Tubbs having to play the blue to his red. At least it gave us one of many memorable memes from the series' run. :) 

I watched this one again just last night. It's hard for me to watch, but that's because of the tragic nature...but that also makes this one memorable, because of the realism. This one wasn't just the bad guys get shot & taken out at the end...it involved kids facing the consequences of their choices the hard way as well. But, I think that is one of the reasons Crockett was more emotional in this one. He wanted to try and get through to these hot-shot teens that thought they knew & could handle all. Sonny knew they had no clue! Also, he was infuriated at Sloan, the sleazy crooked lawyer...who had lied to the kids about him. I actually understood Crockett losing-it sometimes in this one, and the ending is one of the very few (if possibly only) times Sonny almost cries.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
On 6/19/2023 at 12:22 PM, johnnyfarragut said:

Thank you for posting — a fine piece.

Key locations include the Doral based Miami Free zone (now gone), Miami International Airport and The Senator Hotel in Miami Beach. In the Florida Keys there is a Senator beach bar which was open till last year but sadly went bust.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I failed to mention this episode in my post in "Final Remarks" for season 1.  I guess because the first season of Vice is so great that a few excellent eps like this one fell through the crack when I was summing it all up.  

I noticed a poster for Verhoeven's The Fourth Man outside Angela's movie theater.  I can just imagine the "punks" digging that body-horror movie at midnight showings!  I also like the bit where Sonny tells a shaved-headed young woman to "get a haircut" and she laughs rather than feeling affronted, lol.

A touching detail I picked up on this watch.  In the aftermath of the airport gift shop tragedy, Sonny remains seated on the floor, stunned by the turn of events.  Tubbs tells him, "let's get the car," but seeing how upset Crockett is, he sits down next to him in sympathy. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Help:

Does anybody have the version of “Feliz Cumbe” that was used in the episode? It’s right after C&T have their initial encounter with Sloan and Crockett orders 2 tubes of mystery meat. :) 

The hit recording was Fernandito Villalona in 1982, but the version in the episode is quite different—basically instrumental. 

Edited by Dadrian

On 1/17/2024 at 11:05 AM, Dadrian said:

Help:

Does anybody have the version of “Feliz Cumbe” that was used in the episode? It’s right after C&T have their initial encounter with Sloan and Crockett orders 2 tubes of mystery meat. :) 

The hit recording was Fernandito Villalona in 1982, but the version in the episode is quite different—basically instrumental. 

Could it be the Karaoke version?

6 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Could it be the Karaoke version?

Thanks but it isn’t. Notice the instruments as the scene cuts to the stakeout sometime. It’s almost like some kind synthesizer solo or something. I don’t think there are any vocals at all, but I could be wrong. It’s probably some very obscure 7” vinyl that will never surface haha. 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Thanks but it isn’t. Notice the instruments as the scene cuts to the stakeout sometime. It’s almost like some kind synthesizer solo or something. I don’t think there are any vocals at all, but I could be wrong. It’s probably some very obscure 7” vinyl that will never surface haha. 

Do you think it was possible that Jan mixed or edited  it, or would he not be allowed to do that?

I know he played around with the "Wooloomooloo" song by Jean-Michel Jarre in "The Glades" and added sounds from it in for "Dutch Oven" but that might have been different.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Do you think it was possible that Jan mixed or edited  it, or would he not be allowed to do that?

I know he played around with the "Wooloomooloo" song by Jean-Michel Jarre in "The Glades" and added sounds from it in for "Dutch Oven" but that might have been different.

Yeah, not the case here. 

• Like 1