Episode #91 "Hostile Takeover"

Ferrariman

• 2 years later...
  • Administrators

Another 10 for me in the trilogy or quadrilogy depending on how you look at it. Seeing Sonny as the bad guy was great.

• Like 3

I give it a 10.So many TV shows have the obligatory "see the hero go over to the dark side and come back" premise, but DJ did it exceptionally well as Burnett. It was only a matter of time before the illusion of his cover name became reality, if only for a little while. (Even if it meant trying to kill Tubbs twice!) :eek: Plus, MV set the standard for what we know today as the multi-episode character arc.

• Like 2

I give it a 10.So many TV shows have the obligatory "see the hero go over to the dark side and come back" premise' date=' but DJ did it exceptionally well as Burnett. It was only a matter of time before the illusion of his cover name became reality, if only for a little while. (Even if it meant trying to kill Tubbs twice!) :eek: Plus, MV set the standard for what we know today as the multi-episode character arc.[/quote'] And Michael Mann's Crime Story.

Now we enter season 5. I'm a big fan of this season. It was a return to form and consistency for the show after the mostly lacklustre fourth season. Season 5 got off to a great start with this episode. Mirror Image was such a strong ep, one of the best infact, that the other Burnett eps fall somewhat short of it. But Hostile Takeover is still a very top notch ep. DJ did a good job directing it.Fantastic opener. Great song ('Underneath the Radar'), aerial shots of Miami, action and cool intro to Burnett. Great stuff.Burnett has really come up the world since we last saw him. He's ruthless, efficient, smart. I especially like when he gave those men the itinery. "Each and every one of you will be millionaires within two years". And the whole trilogy is very Scarface, which is cool.Debra Feuer is certainly a highlight of the Burnett trilogy. She's one of the hottest ladies who was ever on Vice. Here she plays a character very similar to the one she played in To Live and Die In LA (classic). I especially like the scene with the song 'Walk and Talk Like Angels'. Very nice scene and great song.I actually like El Gato because he is so much like Ricardo Diaz from Vice City. Rockstar had to have based Diaz on El Gato. Victor Argo was good as always but, if I'm honest, I'm not really that keen on Matt Frewer. I just didn't buy him as a villain, and such a cold blooded one at that.Very tense ending with Rico confronting Sonny again. It looked like Rico had gotten through to him but then, BANG! We'll have to wait for the next ep to see what happened. I like the location too, at the lighthouse in Bill Baggs State Park in Key Biscayne. The last time it was on the show was way back in season one in Calderone's Return.Overall, an excellent episode. 9/10

• Like 2

Guest neworder

I concur with Tommy Vercetti with his opinion of Season 5 being a return to form for Miami Vice after the mixed bag of S4 and Hostile Takeover starts the season well. That said I find this to be the weakest of the quadrilogy, my biggest issue being El Gato who's in this episode too much, and irritates big style. That said this episode is still very good, nice insight into the business of drug dealing. Burnett is smooth and the supporting cast (Obviously excluding El Gato) are strong. Tim Truman's first stint at composing is good but nothing special at this stage. Intro sequence with Underworld's Underneath the Radar track is the highlight of the episode, great song, great scene. 8/10

I really like "Hostile Takeover". It was really dark episode, Don was great as Burnett. Intro sequence from this EP is one of the best scene from MV.9/10

• Like 2

Posted: February 20 2008 With the Burnett Trilogy, the "Vice" style is back! "Hostile Takeover" starts out panning a train moving through the Florida night. Then we are at Carrera's wife's Birthday party & the camera work was so close I felt like one of the dancers. Then El Gatto's boys shoot & kill some of the revelers & Burnett takes one of the shooters out. Nice opening! We see beautiful homes & beachfront property, just like in the early MV episodes, only darker, to match Sonny's evil side. DJ really looks & acts cool in this episode. My wife even said he looks good in black suits. I do like him better as a cop, undercover, than a criminal, but he does have chiarisma! As Rico tells Castillo, "Sonny's not Sonny anymore." We are left hanging again as Sonny has flashbacks of Rico & him as cops & then he says, "You're Tubbs"- camera shows exterior of lighthouse & 3 shots ring out! Wow, how can next week come any faster to see what happened? I liked "Mirror Image" better, but I am really caught up in the whole series of episodes & must give this a 9/10, rating.

• Like 1

That intro with the train at night was simply awesome...As the rest of this ep was...I give it a 9. I've been looking forward to season five as there's ep's I have never saw before and am excited to see them one by one...I know for a fact I NEVER saw the last four eps and the ending, so this i gonna be new for me. Bring it on!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:....Mike

I like this ep in the way it was filmed, the music, the style and DJ his acting is very good this ep.The story is great and the cliffhanger at the end of the ep couldn't get any better.I do not like the way El gato is portrayed. To Much overacting.The mind games Burnett played with father and son are well thought trough and executed. A 9 from meBut deep in my heart I just want the old Sonny back, I mis him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Season Five got off to a rip-roaring start with this fantastic episode and perhaps best season opener since The Prodigal Son. Despite the Christopher Lambert ponytail Don Johnson is excellent as playing a ruthless homicidal drug dealer who is actually a cop with amnesia. His performance here is some of the best since the character building he did in season one. Also Jon Polito brings it all to the screen with the wonderfully psycho and flamboyant villain El Gato. Those outfits will never go out of style. Still a full 10/10 for me.

Edited by agent 47
New review due to Blu-ray viewing.

I can watch ,what i believe is all 5, all of the time,starting with "forgive us our debts" and ending with "redemption in blood"....Epic and unbelievably timeless to say the least... Dark and dangerous..10 all the way..!

"Walk and Talk Like Angels" (when Celeste dances by pool at night) by Toni Childs....so wonderful !!! My favorite episode so far

...1 shoe lands in the water and the other lands on the other side of the pool....

El Gato is really out of his league in this episode....can't even imagine guy's a mob

The first of strangely flamboyant and often comical villains in the final season ... a far cry from the Scarface approach the show was originally trying to take.

• 1 year later...

I love this episode (with the exception of the over the top antics of El Gato). Don Johnson did a great job of directing. It has great energy, visuals, menace. Debra Feuer is outstanding--probably the best leading lady Sonny ever had. How I wish the producers had carried this storyline through the entire season with Sonny eventually bringing down the Carerra's from the inside, turning state's evidence and disappearing into Witness Protection. That, for me, would have been a great ending to the series.

• Like 1

I love this episode (with the exception of the over the top antics of El Gato). Don Johnson did a great job of directing. It has great energy' date=' visuals, menace. Debra Feuer is outstanding--probably the best leading lady Sonny ever had. How I wish the producers had carried this storyline through the entire season with Sonny eventually bringing down the Carerra's from the inside, turning state's evidence and disappearing into Witness Protection. That, for me, would have been a great ending to the series.[/quote']It was done well - a far cry from the pastel look of public sniggerings of Season 1 - 2 this feels like late 80s.:D

• 4 months later...

BBBI decided I wanted to watch a Burnett episode and picked this one out of all of them.Burnett is so ruthless in this one interested only in the business and making money.Of course I like bad boys and specially Burnett.Its so nice to see Don Johnson out of his element we are so use to him playing the good cop Sonny Crockett finally we see his alter ego Sonny Burnett at work.I love this episode.I specially like when they go meet the drivers and pilots with the lambo SUV and music in the background very :cool:.I rated it a ten in my book.

• Like 1