Sign in to follow this  
Ferrariman

Episode #91 "Hostile Takeover"

Matt5

I love this episode very different to four years earlier - but excellent :D

BlackJack

Nice episode but I can't take the Burnett trilogy seriously. Amnesia plots belong in Dynasty. However, this is the best of the 3 so I give a 7.5

Tommy Vercetti

This is just a great ep. Badass Burnett, classic intro, great scenery and story and Celeste - oo la la. the only real downside of this ep is Miguel. I disliked that character and actor. Otherwise, fantastic ep. 9.5/10

• Like 1

ViceFanMan

Now we enter season 5...the final season, and the continuation of Crockett's "dark" decent into his deadly alter ego Sonny Burnett. I will be honest and say I liked "Mirror Image" a lot better than this one and "Redemption In Blood"...so the many who have rated this a 10, or even a 9, in my opinion are exaggerating just a bit. ;)The pastels were gone...no real cool colors much at all (perhaps a few lighting choices?). :evil: Crockett became very "dark" and demented very quickly, and had no trouble pitting people against each other so he could take over--nor did he have any problems killing others to get ahead...which did kind of bother me. :eek: I'm sorry, but Sonny crossed so many lines that in reality he could never be the same.I also did not like the characters of Miguel Carrera, El Gato, nor Cliff King. All of them were annoying and ridiculous...from Miguel having the "stupidest" hairdew ever (even in the 80's) and being a whiny-butt :rolleyes: ; El Gato being this fat, disgusting, sweaty, pig in ugly shiny clothes that made you want to throw up and probably hold your nose to block out the stench of B.O. :sick: ; and Cliff this moron, hay-seed, hick with stupid, back-woods sayings and was kind of whiny himself. :evil: But, I guess this was all on purpose, to let you know that at some point these characters would probably be killed. :)I will say that Don did a superb job of acting :clap: ...he was pretty ruthless and scary as Burnett, although I did not like his ponytail. ;) But, it was interesting to watch him try to live his life as a drug dealer...yet knowing something wasn't quite right and he starts having flashbacks. Of course his shooting Tubbs scene was pretty wild! I also really liked the character of Celeste! She was beautiful :happy: , and tried to be ruthless... but in reality was more like Burnett/Crockett. They both actually cared for each other and not just the money or power! It was interesting and captivating to watch! :glossy:The music was also good in this one, with Underneath the Radar by Underworld, and Walk & Talk Like Angels by Toni Childs. :radio: Sadly though, other than the starting theme, no more Jan Hammer. :cry: The filming locations were also pretty good...love the mansions/pools used for the Carreras, and the lighthouse! I don't know...good episode but it seemed kind of bizarre and somewhat dis-jointed too. However, overall though it's still captivating and interesting to watch. I gave it an 8.

Vincent Hanna

The Intro is one of my favourites of all time. Underneath the radar, The tracking shot of the train riding through the night air. We get an awesome introduction to EVIL burnett. The pony tail was a nice addition.This El Gato guy is one of the many cartoonish, as in absolutely terrible villains that the show had in S4 & 5..Just skip every scene that he's in.I like the scarface-esque vibe it has. Very cool.Each episode of the burnett saga gets better and better..Culminating with Redemption in Blood which is probably the last high point of the series.

• Like 1

ViceFanMan
The Intro is one of my favourites of all time. Underneath the radar' date=' The tracking shot of the train riding through the night air. We get an awesome introduction to EVIL burnett. The pony tail was a nice addition.This El Gato guy is one of the many cartoonish, as in absolutely terrible villains that the show had in S4 & 5..Just skip every scene that he's in.I like the scarface-esque vibe it has. Very cool.Each episode of the burnett saga gets better and better..Culminating with Redemption in Blood which is probably the last high point of the series.[/quote']The intro is pretty good...but I still can't stand the ponytail. :p Even in 1988 that's just gross to me. :)El Gato was not only "cartoonish" and over-the-top, he was nasty and disgusting! :sick: That fat pig was drenched in sweat half the time, and had to have stunk so freakin' bad! :eek:I don't know if I think each of the Burnett saga episodes gets better...to me it was the opposite. I really did enjoy "Mirror Image", but I didn't think this episode or "Redemption" were as good...each one was less cool than the last one. By the end of it all I'm so sick of the Burnett drama that I just want it to stop and we go back to Crockett and Tubbs. ;) It just started to get too bizarre. Like...what was the point of that weird scene of Burnett killing the homosexual guy in the sauna with the freaky looking blonde dude? :eek: That left me going what the "heck"?? :radar: I think the guy was supposed to be one of the shooters at Celeste's birthday part, but the whole scene was kind of whacked-out and didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. :confused:

Vice Immersion

In "Mirror Image", we witnessed how adaptable and shrewd Burnett was in survivng the the cutthroat criminal underworld, and it left us in suspense wondering where Burnett's destination would take him, in "Hostile Takeover", we begin to see the "location" of this desired destination and it reveals the extent of Burnett's manipulation in making things happen.

This episode seemed to emphasize the moral dissociation of Burnett that we didn't get to see with "Mirror Image".  In the Season 4 finale, it presented how Burnett could easily survive in this underworld, but with this Season 5 premiere, the episode displays that Burnett wants to be a ruthless conqueror, and be just as, or even more powerful, than his former superiors (drug empires). 

The moral dissociation becomes so strong that it implies that Burnett is irreedemably sociopathic when he's shown to have multiple layers of manipulation in having the Carreras against each other by using Celeste.  Even Celeste herself seems to show a bit of concern as to how far Burnett is really going when she stares at Burnett's apathic reaction after seeing Miguel sob uncontrollably after his father Oscar has just died, and when she questions about how worried she is that Burnett is becoming one of them after Oscar's funeral.  But the most significant, and lowest point, is the cliffhanger ending when even Burnett recollects who Rico truly is, through memory flashbacks, and still decides to shoot at Rico Tubbs.

As for El Gato's fashion and behavior.... yeah it has some flamboyance, but sometimes drug lords are like that since they have the money and power to behave like that.

Another great chapter in the "Sonny Burnett" arc, and the imagery used in the beginning, the musical score, and overall tone all reflected the darkness of Sonny Burnett's character!  The change in hairstyle and dark clothes again, strongly displayed how ruthless his character had become now.  This episode wanted to convey how ruthless and coldhearted Burnett was, and it accomplished it!  ...It adds to suspense as to how things are going to climax and resolve in this arc.

It just started to get too bizarre. Like...what was the point of that weird scene of Burnett killing the homosexual guy in the sauna with the freaky looking blonde dude? :eek: That left me going what the "heck"?? :radar: I think the guy was supposed to be one of the shooters at Celeste's birthday part, but the whole scene was kind of whacked-out and didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. :confused:

Burnett was killing the shooter who was at Celeste's party who ran away (or another one of El Gato's hitmen).  Burnett probably monitored the hitman's moves and saw that this private sauna was the perfect time to kill him (with very few witnesses) and killed the blond guy too, so that there would be no witnesses to testify that Burnett was the killer if Burnett was somehow taken into court in the future.  In addition, he wanted another issue to tear the Carreras even further apart by having Miguel undermine Oscar's authority.

Edited by Vice Immersion
  • Like 2

Remington

The final season. It truly is the flipside of S1. With this season MV really does come full circle. At the beginning of the series, Crockett and Tubbs are enthusiastic about their work and think they can make a difference. By the end of the series, the two of them are burnt out beyond recognition.

Anyway, Hostile Takeover,directed by DJ, is a superb premier. You can tell right away from the terrific opening. The train, the music, the crazy dresses, and Burnett with a ponytail.

The cinematography is really good in this episode.

I've noticed that the first 6 episodes have very warm photography which changes soon to really gloomy.

The filming locations were great.

Celeste was gorgeous. El Gato was annoying but I don't have much of a problem with him. Dont see the resemblance between he and his brother though lol. The rest of the villains are allright but don't hold a candle to Burnett.

Tim Truman makes a hell of a debut in this episode. His music is pretty badass.

The only flaws I think are the cartoonish nature of the villains. On a side not, I think they slightly overdid it on the black clothing for DJ. Mirror Image had the balance perfect.

Not quite as good as Mirror Image but pretty damn good.

9/10

• Like 1