Jan Hammer and the Wavestation

Touch of Class

Unique piece of gear. Had one in the 1990s (rackmount version). Wave sequencing & vector synthesis combined. You could actually build sequences based upon waveform chains, which means you were able to create endlessly evolving sounds. Huge sonic capabilities, but extremely complex to master. Great for sonic landscapes and soundtracks, less for pop production.

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jerry B. said:

Unique piece of gear. Had one in the 1990s (rackmount version). Wave sequencing & vector synthesis combined. You could actually build sequences based upon waveform chains, which means you were able to create endlessly evolving sounds. Huge sonic capabilities, but extremely complex to master. Great for sonic landscapes and soundtracks, less for pop production.

It's a wonderful instrument, yes. Korg released it for iOS yesterday, if you'd like to revisit it.

Also relevant!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I hadn't seen this. Thanks!

I meant I hadn't seen the ad. 

5 hours ago, Touch of Class said:

It's a wonderful instrument, yes. Korg released it for iOS yesterday, if you'd like to revisit it.

Also relevant!

I hadn't seen about the iOS, either! Too cool. Thanks for the news! :thumbsup:

Was the factory bank of the Wavestation any good? I mean did it have cool patches like Jan's synths had from the 80s?
You gotta love those ads. Whoever artist endorses an instrument the promotional talk pretty much sounds the same. :D I bet Jan did't even use the Wavestation much. (Correct me if I'm wrong!?)

That cover of Crockett's Theme...sounds as if someone wanted to blend in Golden Triangle. Not sure if I like that.

Edited by Den Taylor

On 12/2/2016 at 10:04 PM, Den Taylor said:

Was the factory bank of the Wavestation any good? I mean did it have cool patches like Jan's synths had from the 80s?
You gotta love those ads. Whoever artist endorses an instrument the promotional talk pretty much sounds the same. :D I bet Jan did't even use the Wavestation much. (Correct me if I'm wrong!?)

That cover of Crockett's Theme...sounds as if someone wanted to blend in Golden Triangle. Not sure if I like that.

The Wavestation's factory patches are very good; polished and production-ready much like the M1. The clichés ring true: it's evocative of the '90s, and lends itself to soundtrack and sound-design work.

The Wavestation is all over Beyond the Mind's Eye, so if you listen to that, and then play the Wavestation, then the instrument would likely remind you of Jan's music! If you can find the soundtracks he did for films during the early '90s, then I'm sure the Wavestation will feature in those, as well. I'm certain that it would've ended up on Miami Vice had the show -- and Jan's involvement -- lasted longer. 

Jan seems pretty keen to endorse Korg products. In an interview with Sound on Sound, he says,

...I think the new digital synths prove that digital sounds can have as much warmth and presence as analogue sounds. Between the Korg Z1 and the Triton, the sounds are all there for me. I'll occasionally use samplers when working on film and TV music, especially if I need some crazy loops or grooves, but mostly I use my Korg synths.

• Like 3