AMAZING,THE BEST JAN HAMMER "BUDDIES" INSTRUMENTAL EVER!!!

S0NNY

I just wanted to share this instrumental cover of  "Buddies" episode, that i found not along ago by accident. This cover is so amazing, guitar work is so brilliant, synth and energy simply nails it. It is as all done by Bart Graft who titled this track as "Jan". The track comes from Bart Graft's album called "Miami", released just recently. Jan Hammer would be amazed, you can't top this really.  Here is the link, enjoy and tell me what you think!!  

Edited by S0NNY
  • Like 4

Wow! This sounds AMAZING!

Welcome to the site. Great first post!!

I would call this more of an "interpretation" than a "cover", as the bass notes, chord structure, etc. are quite a deviation from Jan's version. A brilliant track, nonetheless. Thanks again for sharing. Hope this guy does more MV stuff!

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 3

he definitely took it from "buddies", but Jan's version was erratic, improvisation on the spot, so this guy i think took it, arranged it to sound more formularic, but the base riff and mood are from that "episode". Yeah he is fantastic. I found it by accident, i was listening to all of his albums, and one album, called "miami" had this track "jan", and i was   "hmmm, where have i heared this pattern before?"  ..hahahaha 

• Like 1

Yes from Buddies! Absolutely agree there! Jan did kinda throw that one together. Sure wish he would have released it just like from the episode, though--so raw and edgey--fit the situation perfectly!

I wish I had time to remake my cover. I could really out-do myself! :) 

Edited by Dadrian

he used real guitars on that one, i listened to his albums , he's a pro on guitar. i play a bit myself, but he is a hands down pro.  If you listen to all the parts of that instrumental during the episode and if you record and those pieces together youll get a sketch of what Jan created for that episode, only that  instrumental was divided into parts and played for separate scenes. I can even hear the guitar bridge section that Bart used in his version. He didnt copy that long intro  and kind of made a short commercial single version of it with his interpretation,  but definitely used the bridge section heard in the episode:)  Glad you liked it:) 

If anyone is interested, you can download this "Jan" track or even the whole album legally from Bart Graft's bandcamp site, here is the link if anyone is interested. The album is called "Miami",  Album instrumentals are improvisations of some movies/series, and i liked them all, maybe you will  too, good album, enjoy:)   https://bartgraft.bandcamp.com/album/miami

Edited by S0NNY

11 hours ago, Matt5 said:

can you buy the individual track ? great album cover too :D

Press on "buy now", then a dialog window will open, there you can enter "0" if you want it for free, and will be given a link for the whole album. But if you want you can enter any amount you wish if you want to donate him:)  

7 hours ago, S0NNY said:

Press on "buy now", then a dialog window will open, there you can enter "0" if you want it for free, and will be given a link for the whole album. But if you want you can enter any amount you wish if you want to donate him:)  

Great info thanks !:D

On 12/5/2016 at 1:30 AM, S0NNY said:

he used real guitars on that one, i listened to his albums , he's a pro on guitar. i play a bit myself, but he is a hands down pro.  If you listen to all the parts of that instrumental during the episode and if you record and those pieces together youll get a sketch of what Jan created for that episode, only that  instrumental was divided into parts and played for separate scenes. I can even hear the guitar bridge section that Bart used in his version. He didnt copy that long intro  and kind of made a short commercial single version of it with his interpretation,  but definitely used the bridge section heard in the episode:)  Glad you liked it:) 

The whole album is very Miami Vice-esque / Jan Hammer . Where can we find more info on Bart?! :done::D

I'm suprised with licensing he could use C&T on cover .

The building looks familiar too - its not the Jackie Gleeson Theatre but at first glance thought it was :D

On 12/7/2016 at 2:34 PM, S0NNY said:

Glad you liked it Tony :) When i found this site i had already had Bart's albums for quite some time, so when i came here i said i must share it with you guys :)    Here you can check out his other albums:) He makes 80s style synth movie like music:) https://bartgraft.bandcamp.com/music

Downloaded track ! so pleased with "Jan" :D

• Like 3

Hi everyone! 

Glad you all enjoyed the track, thanks a million! I recorded it as a tribute to the "Buddies" theme, and after hearing Dadrian Wilson's incredible version on YouTube I wanted to have a go at recording it myself. Decided to strip it down a bit and make it more guitar-focused.

I have better recording software now, so I'm thinking of doing another version with the same instruments Jan Hammer had used.

Some of the gear used to record this:
 - Yamaha CS-80 (Arturia VST)
 - Battery 4 acoustic kit
 - Guitar Rig 5 (Yamaha Pacifica)
 - Kontakt bass with Fender Jazz for the high-end.

Oh, and I also covered another of Jan's tunes. This can be heard on  S01E04 "The Hit List" 

Anyway, like the "Buddies" theme, I formed it into a longer track. Link: https://bartgraft.bandcamp.com/track/chase-on-brickell

Cheers!

Edited by Bart Graft
  • Like 3