Crockett's Theme Versions?

S0NNY

Have anyone noticed that Crockett's Theme on "Miami Vice II" soundtrack album and on "Escape From Television" album has a little difference?   if you listen closely, background rhythm cymbals are slightly different on both albums, or at least sound level for cymbals was redone on "Escape From TV" version. I m sure if you dont pay attention to small details, you wont even notice, but still, im curious if there is anyone who noticed a little difference between the albums:)?

• Like 2

Hey good ears! I have noticed several differences between those versions, too. 

The 12" mix vinyl is my favorite, though :thumbsup:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, S0NNY said:

Have anyone noticed that Crockett's Theme on "Miami Vice II" soundtrack album and on "Escape From Television" album has a little difference?   if you listen closely, background rhythm cymbals are slightly different on both albums, or at least sound level for cymbals was redone on "Escape From TV" version. I m sure if you dont pay attention to small details, you wont even notice, but still, im curious if there is anyone who noticed a little difference between the albums:)?

Yes I have noticed too !:D

1 minute ago, summer84 said:

Is this the other version, that was mentioned?

Yes the Escape from Television version from 1987 -  the Miami Vice II version from 1986 which was released as a single early in 1987 I believe is slightly different 

• Like 1

Yes there are definitely differences! Also because the other version is shorter in length.

Some of it at 2:35 - 3:35 from Crockett's Theme extended mix.

Edited by summer84

I can always tell which is which in the first 2 seconds because the kick drum has a different specific ambience in each version. 

• Like 1

OK, so it means that actually the first official released version of crockett's theme was that of "MIAMI VICE II" album   The version used in MTV video is from "Escape from TV" album

Edited by S0NNY

4 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I can always tell which is which in the first 2 seconds because the kick drum has a different specific ambience in each version. 

Thanks Dadrian....I never would have noticed the difference in the first few seconds because I never really listened to it that closely, before.

In the first theme, the drum beat goes...... da, da da .....da, da da   with pauses for the 1st few seconds,  whereas in the second version the drum beat immediately goes da da da da,  da da da da.

Even my wife heard the difference when I played them right after each other!

Also in the first version at 4:41 a clean electric guitar is playing chords without the fuzz until 5:00  which I don't hear in the Escape from TV version. There it should start at 2:44.

OK  i want to point something out. We are not talking about 12" or 7" or 9 mm . We are talking about the main three-minute SINGLE : one off the "Miami Vice II' album which is 3.26 min  and another from "Escape from TV" which is 3.31 min. The very first single version released to the world was in "Miami Vice II", so i consider it the original official version. Now in "Escape from TV' album, the single is almost identical, only the cymbals in the background differ slightly, but the track was used the same. For official MTV video they used the version from the "Escape" album, and it actually says in the title in the video that the song is form "Escape from TV" album.  For Jan Hammer's "the complete collection" they also used the version from "Escape from TV' again.  

Now here's another interesting question. Now everyone by now knows that they released the so called "Ultimate Collection" of all three soundtrack albums  I , II and III. But "Ultimate Collection"  albums are not remastered, those are exactly the same albums like the very first CDs, and in album "II" Crockett's theme once again is 3.26 as in the very first CD release, the same exact sound level and etc.   But here's surprise -  have anyone noticed that there are the "remastered" albums I II, III?   i have the remastered albums, and in "remastered" album number two  "II"  , Crockett's Theme is from "Escape From TV', it has exact same timing 3.31 min      

So for those who have the three original miami vice soundtrack albums I,II, III or Ultimate Collection albums, they are all exact same albums, non remastered.  But if anyone has "remastered" albums, you can hear the difference in loudness of the tracks and they replaced 3.26 min Crockett's theme with 3.31 min Crockett;s theme  which is used in "Escape from TV" and in Jan Hammer's "complete collection"   :)

Edited by S0NNY

3 hours ago, Tony D. said:

Wow, we've all been watching too much Miami Vice! :wuerg: 

Probably:)  But im into all sorts of music, and i have good ears:)

Edited by S0NNY
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I love the Ben Liebrand remix. :D Ben did a lot of awesome 80's mixes, check him out if you haven't yet.

The video says  2005 but the mix is actually from 1987. Maybe he redid a bit, I don't know.

• Like 1

Only the original version(s) of Crx Theme work for me. I don't even like Jan's own revamp from 2004! I can appreciate the work and musicianship that goes into the remixes, but I can never enjoy them. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Only the original version(s) of Crx Theme work for me. I don't even like Jan's own revamp from 2004! I can appreciate the work and musicianship that goes into the remixes, but I can never enjoy them. 

I'm on the same line as Dadrian...the original is the original, full stop. For me, the only version that can compete with it is the extended 12" version of the original. I remember I had it on vinyl back then...may be it's still somewhere in the attic, drawing dust.

Edited by daytona365

1 minute ago, daytona365 said:

the only version that can compete with it is the extended 12"

This is included in what I meant by "version(s)" :thumbsup:

• Like 1