Crockett's Theme Versions?

S0NNY

Am 30.1.2017 um 05:15 schrieb Dadrian:

Only the original version(s) of Crx Theme work for me. I don't even like Jan's own revamp from 2004! I can appreciate the work and musicianship that goes into the remixes, but I can never enjoy them. 

I understand where you're coming from. I like both mixes and extended versions though because to me it's additional bonus like a dessert after an alredy excellent meal. And sometimes they have cool variations and additional layers in them that work quite well. What you're saying applies rather to cover versions for me. I usually enjoy the original only, but there are exceptions  - especially if the cover was made in the 80s :D or is very close to the original if the original isn't available (like with Dadrian's stuff ;-)).

• 3 weeks later...

I found this version on another forum:

According to the user opus_diaboli there:
"Well, as far as I know this is one of the original versions. During the time he made different versions of this track, using different synthesizers. But for the first release of this song I think you're right, he used a Memorymoog AFAIK."

"I just found out that in one of his versions a Korg T3 had been used, played by ... Jordan Rudess. :) So my M1 VST should be able to create this sound. But it's questionable whether I'm able to create it. I should spend some more time learning sound programming."

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=346593

Can you guys confirm this? That Jan used the memory moog for Crockett's theme is clear but I mean if this is really an earlier version of the song and if this is really a Korg.? The version sounds Jan Hammerish enough but it could also be a well made cover....in the end of the vid it says "made by Johannes Oma". But that could be just referring to the video. Either way, gotta love that arppergiator at the end, it goes faster a bit different than in the version we know. :D
Edited by Den Taylor

I'm 100% sure it's cover of Crockett's Theme, not Jan's work.

First version of Crockett's Theme appeared in Calderone's Demise and is on my YT Channel:

Edited by Crockettt
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/02/2017 at 0:57 PM, Dadrian said:

Not Jan. 

He used the MM for the lead, but it was Jupiter 8 for bass and pads. 

Yes I agree not JH:D

Am 21.2.2017 um 13:57 schrieb Dadrian:

Not Jan. 

He used the MM for the lead, but it was Jupiter 8 for bass and pads. 

Didn't he also use the Koto from the DX-7 for the lead? As a second layer I believe. And the Sarar sound is in there too...

• 4 months later...
On 30/01/2017 at 4:15 AM, Dadrian said:

Only the original version(s) of Crx Theme work for me. I don't even like Jan's own revamp from 2004! I can appreciate the work and musicianship that goes into the remixes, but I can never enjoy them. 

JHs revamped version in 2004 didn't work for me either - production sounded poor and not a patch on original :hippie:

14 hours ago, Matt5 said:

JHs revamped version in 2004 didn't work for me either - production sounded poor and not a patch on original :hippie:

I think those 2004 songs were an exercise for his (then) new Korg equipment and ProTools recording gear. Sometimes "fresh" and "new" don't stand the test of time. His analog synths and tape recorders are forever classic. 

On 14/07/2017 at 3:31 PM, Dadrian said:

I think those 2004 songs were an exercise for his (then) new Korg equipment and ProTools recording gear. Sometimes "fresh" and "new" don't stand the test of time. His analog synths and tape recorders are forever classic. 

Thanks for info Dadrian - I just didn't like it - somehow the 2004 versions seemed cheap compared to the originals from 1985 and 1986.

:hippie:

• Like 1

I will say the "guitar" solo on the 2004 "Crockett's Theme" was incredible! I would love to have heard that on the same gear he made the original with. I guess that proves he's still awesome. :thumbsup:

Maybe I could cover that someday if I rake $20K together one day to buy a Jupiter 8 and Memorymoog! :p

Also that "South Beach" song deserves the same treatment--solo KILLS on that one!!

Edited by Dadrian