Technical details regarding Tubbs officially moving from NYPD to metro Dade pd ocb?

icecoldfire

First of all I gotta say Miami Vice is the coolest frikkin TV show I have ever seen. 

Now back to my question. I understand that tubbs forged an inter agency memo to go after Calderone in Miami under his dead brothers identity. What I am a bit confused about and would really appreciate if someone could clarify the details regarding Tubbs leaving NYPD and joining mdpd ocb in Miami. 

when crockett found out about tubbs true identity he didnt report him to the authorities right? so how exactly did tubbs leave nypd and join mdpd ocb without facing any charges or punishment from the police/authorities?

• Administrators

It was never explained in the show, but I'd imagine that the NYPD probably would've found out afterwards, and suspended him. So, Miami were like "We'll take him", and put in a transfer.

• 2 months later...

Just came across this and I believe I have the answer. The ex was an attorney who worked for her dad’s company that had allot of clients in the entertainment industry from the 50’s thru the 90’s until he retired and she signed on as a partner back east . Many moons ago at a luncheon this exact question was asked of Greg Sierra, Lou in the show. I knew Greg from sitting adjacent to him at LA Kings games at the Forum in the 70’s and 80’s. Greg introduced me and my brother to Vice back in the day.

In any case, his feeling was that if they wrote it into the show it would have played out that Tubbs took a bereavement leave and forged the inter-agency memo. NYPD would have been blind to a forged memo, until/unless Metro Dade PD exposed him to NYPD. Which only Crockett and Gina knew Tubbs was working under his brother’s name.

Tubbs would have put in for a transfer to another jurisdiction when he came back from leave. Metro Dade PD would have accepted him for transfer. Based on the show, only Gina and Crockett ever knew of the fake name. Lou would have to have been told about the fake memo and he would have had to bury the fake memo and accept Ricardo Tubbs as opposed Raphael Tubbs.

One point Greg made back then that makes 100% sense. If it was the Castillo character in his place, that type of story line, accepting Tubbs when he forged the memo would have undermined Castillo’s character from the outset. He could have never been the 100% by the book LT. he was

He felt "Lou" would have been a more forgiving LT. if he didn't hate the weather in Miami.

Edited by king77
  • Like 4

Great story about Sierra's perspective on this, and the take on Castillo... and thanks for sharing. I recall Lou (Sierra) chastising Crockett with 'by the book Crockett' which always suggested to me he was more of a hardline Lt in enforcing policy, so he would have had a tough choice to make assuming Crockett or Gina informed him about Tubbs situation and the forged memo. And something of that importance would have been difficult to withhold from Lou, imo especially from Gina's perspective and because Lou eventually knew his name wasn't Raphael and he had already seen the interagency memo early on in the pilot (on the bridge I think with C&T). And when Tubbs once complained about his living situation (long drive to the office)  in another ep as he was vying for a raise, wasn't it Lou  who also responded something along the lines of how he had to leave NY, implying he knew about his bogus interagency memo and perhaps so did the NYPD? So Rodriguez at least had to know about the memo and the name switch, and somehow became ok with covering it up.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

I recall Lou (Sierra) chastising Crockett with 'by the book Crockett' which always suggested to me he was more of a hardline Lt in enforcing policy, so he would have had a tough choice to make assuming Crockett or Gina informed him about Tubbs situation and the forged memo. 

Not necessarily.  When he says "by the book", it could just be because he wants the case to stand up in court.  It isn't necessarily defined as part of his ethos, like they did with Castillo.

11 hours ago, airtommy said:

Not necessarily.  When he says "by the book", it could just be because he wants the case to stand up in court.  It isn't necessarily defined as part of his ethos, like they did with Castillo.

Could be and is subject to interpretation but I would argue little is known about Rodriguez in the series because of his brief appearance other than he has a 6+ year working relationship with Crockett.

In the exchange I'm referring to:

Lou: "haven't changed much from your old football days, have you Sonny?"

Sonny: "Listen Lou"

Lou (shouting): " No you listen. I haven't heard word one from you for a whole stinkin' week. No case reviews, no updates, no progress reports and no backups! "

Sonny: " the last time I requested a backup I nearly got shot to death by Bluto and Lee Harvey Oswald over there. And as for progress reports, I'd just as soon by radio time"

Lou: "Hey wait a minute, are you implying I got a bad cop in my department? "

Sonny: "All I know is every time I've gotten within 20 blocks of this Colombian I've had the pavement pulled right out from under me."

Lou (shouting): " By the Book. By the Book Sonny from here on or I swear, I'm pulling you off the street. "

Seems to me this has far less to do with making any case stand up in court but more so in Lou trying to enforce discipline and police protocol ( in keeping his superiors informed) with Sonny, who in the first ep seems to me as undisciplined ( 'no case reviews, no updates and no progress reports and no backups') and not always going "by the book" as Lou so aptly calls him out on.

• Like 1