www,miami-vice.org

S0NNY

Can anyone please tell me what happened to www.miami-vice.org  site that was many years ago?  I remember i was so happy when i found that site like back in 2004 or something, i became a member and enjoyed it for some time but then it disappeared, So time went on, and for the last like 10 years i didnt even know this site existed,  I joined this site like two days ago.  I noticed some familiar nicknames from way back since www.miami-vice.org  site.  Can you guys tell me what happened with that site and why it disappeared? and is this site in any relation to that old site or is this site created by completely new people?  Thank you;)

• Administrators

Before my time, but I think this is the same community. There was miami-vice.org, and then towards miami-vice.org's end, everybody moved to miamivice.info. This is the miamivice.info site which changed names to miamiviceonline.com.

I might be wrong about miami-vice.org, and someone from that time can correct me. But that's what I've read, if I'm not mistaken.

• Administrators

Well, it's a loooooong story but I'll give you the short version.  The bottom line is that Randolph (the .org site owner) disappeared for quite some time leaving me as the only moderator. Rick Bravo, the cameraman and self proclaimed super-star turned rabid. He started belittling members, refusing to answer questions and showing his growing hate for Don Johnson and anyone who asked about him.  The site became divided between Rick and his small group of evil followers and anyone who was against him.  I eventually booted Rick and his group and things calmed down for a while. Eventually Randolph re-appeared and announced that he was handing over the site to martijn and Tifany. (don't know if you remember them) They were .org's version of dumb and dumber. However, at the time, there were rumors that the bills had not been paid and the future of .org was in doubt. It was at this time that miamijimf (bless his soul!) had met Chris (the former owner of this site) Chris ran the German Vice site .info and wanted to add an English language version. They asked me if I would be interested in running it and with .org's future in jeopardy, I said yes. Shortly after the site was up and running I was booted from my moderator position on .org. This set off a site war to end all wars and by the end of the Thanksgiving weekend in 2007 90% of the .org members had made the jump to this site. .org eventually died a slow death from lack of interest and martijn finally pulled the plug.  One interesting fact that few members know is that we have since acquired the domain .org so anyone who happens to search miami-vice.org is automatically directed to this site! There are a few topics here somewhere that will give you more details. If I can find them, I will post the links.

Whew!  I did say this was the short version didn't I?

• Like 10

You did an excellent job of explaining the facts without dwelling on the pain.

The important thing is some of the original members of .org are here and are posting happily with new members without the strife that we had on .org. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Just of pure curiosity, i found that you can still look at that .org site using internet history tool called "way back machine", it saves global internet data for long time. So i googled  "way back machine", and the in it  i searched for miami-vice.org, and bingoarrow-10x10.png, there you see a calendar and you can pick any year and any day to see how the site looked and even read forums to a certain extent.  Calendar shows that site died out around 2007-2008, youre correct.  

Anyways wow, this was an interesting story, Ferrariman. I like listening to stories, it was long for me, you can go on im all ears ))  I remember you form the old days, i remember that there was such martijn, yes. I dont remember whether he was dumb or not, maybe in the end he was showing signs for that flare: ))) i take your word for it haha :)) I also Remember Rick the cameraman, i remember he had his own little site with photos from sets and stuff . It was like 10-14 years ago or something. But during the last days of that old site i was rarely visiting, i had little time, So i was not aware that Rick Bravo was heckling other people, wow. Was he so envious of Don Johnson for some reason that he hated people asking about him? There must be a reason for hatred. Either he was jealous of Don or maybe Don pissed him off while on set sometimes, cos Don wasnt exactly mr nice guy too as we all know.   By the way, by getting the .org domain , were you able to somehow move the old forum posts to this site? or had it all been deleted in that domain already?  

P.S. im so happy i found you guys again, i felt really pissed that such a great site disappeared. I didint think i was gonna find another such site let alone with old members ahhaha. Fantastic !!  

Edited by S0NNY
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony D. said:

You did an excellent job of explaining the facts without dwelling on the pain.

The important thing is some of the original members of .org are here and are posting happily with new members without the strife that we had on .org. :thumbsup:

Yes like us Tony !:D:fireworks:

• Like 2

• Administrators
10 hours ago, S0NNY said:

...By the way, by getting the .org domain , were you able to somehow move the old forum posts to this site? or had it all been deleted in that domain already? ...

No, I purchased the .org domain about six months ago when it became available after Martijn didn't renew and it came up for grabs. The site was not part of the bargain. 

I was on .org too back then. What was your username on .org?

Welcome!

• Like 1

i dont remember my actual nickname,was too long ago.  i wast posting anything almost, but i always read posts by you and others and enjoyed the old site. I was collecting the music form the series and i exchanged some music with the fans.   happy i found this one, So far i remember nicknames from the past such as ferrariman, cooper&burnett, tonyD, and of course martijn :))

• Administrators
19 hours ago, S0NNY said:

So i was not aware that Rick Bravo was heckling other people, wow. Was he so envious of Don Johnson for some reason that he hated people asking about him? There must be a reason for hatred. Either he was jealous of Don or maybe Don pissed him off while on set sometimes, cos Don wasnt exactly mr nice guy too as we all know.  

Rick's father was one of the main cameramen on seasons 1 & 2.  There were rumors that DJ had his father fired from the show so maybe that's the reason.  It was a shame because  he brought so much to the site. At first he answered everyone's questions about the show and DJ and it was great to get the facts from someone who was actually there but then for some reason he just lost it. I would log in everyday just to see what argument I had to break up.  I had a private discussion with Rick via PMs about his behavior and he told me, flat out, if you feel I should be banned then ban me, no hard feelings. Right after I banned him he reverted to form. Rejoined the site under another name just to badmouth me about the whole thing.

Maybe the "way back" machine can find your old username?

• Like 1

• Administrators

Some good reading here. You can kindof piece together what it was like back then.  Just a little background. You will see the name Srobak mentioned a lot. He was one of the worst offenders when it came to bullying. After I was booted, Martijn and Tifany had made him a moderator on .org, BIG mistake! Instead of trying to lure members back he took pleasure in banning and deleting members if they didn't see things his way. As you will see, just the mention of our new site would have you marked as a traitor and banned. I guess you could say that Srobak was my arch enemy. He has self admittedly been kicked off of more websites than I can remember.  I like to quote Clint Eastwood when I say he's a legend in his own mind!

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/1029-censorship/

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/7953-the-fat-lady-has-sung/#comment-7953

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/7990-org-memories/#comment-7990

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/7863-srobak/#comment-7863

2 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Rick's father was one of the main cameramen on seasons 1 & 2.  There were rumors that DJ had his father fired from the show so maybe that's the reason.  It was a shame because  he brought so much to the site. At first he answered everyone's questions about the show and DJ and it was great to get the facts from someone who was actually there but then for some reason he just lost it. I would log in everyday just to see what argument I had to break up.  I had a private discussion with Rick via PMs about his behavior and he told me, flat out, if you feel I should be banned then ban me, no hard feelings. Right after I banned him he reverted to form. Rejoined the site under another name just to badmouth me about the whole thing.

Yes I remember he got quite nasty a real shame :thumbsdown:

3 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

He has self admittedly been kicked off of more websites than I can remember.  I like to quote Clint Eastwood when I say he's a legend in his own mind!

lol...kind of like that C.T. clown from the following thread, who I subsequently learned had also been booted from other sites for his belligerent behavior.

On 12/6/2016 at 2:06 PM, Ferrariman said:

well i wouldn't be surprised if Don wasn't always happy with camera set up and stuff and often got pissed off with the cameraman, i know he often demanded close ups and reshoot and nd stuff, was very in love with himself:)) But whatever happened just happened, it is still no excuse to pick on vice fans, this is plain stupid. Something must have ticked him off in his mind at least..

On 12/6/2016 at 2:37 PM, Ferrariman said:

Some good reading here. You can kindof piece together what it was like back then.  Just a little background. You will see the name Srobak mentioned a lot. He was one of the worst offenders when it came to bullying. After I was booted, Martijn and Tifany had made him a moderator on .org, BIG mistake! Instead of trying to lure members back he took pleasure in banning and deleting members if they didn't see things his way. As you will see, just the mention of our new site would have you marked as a traitor and banned. I guess you could say that Srobak was my arch enemy. He has self admittedly been kicked off of more websites than I can remember.  I like to quote Clint Eastwood when I say he's a legend in his own mind!

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/1029-censorship/

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/7953-the-fat-lady-has-sung/#comment-7953

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/7990-org-memories/#comment-7990

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/7863-srobak/#comment-7863

ok thanks ferrariman, im gonna read through it all, to see what the case is:))  ill read and tell you what i think  .   By the way, did you see this post of mine? i found a catchy J"Buddies" episode cover-improvisation instrumental by one good artist:)  

• 1 month later...

I do have bad memories from also another unpleasant time on the miami-vice.org site, but that has nothing to do, as far as I do remember, with its end... I'm talking about some time in the early '00s, when we were victims of a hoax, a guy saying he was a Universal representative, so he stated that we were forbidden to discuss or even post anything about possible future releases of Miami Vice on DVD. No posts, no discussions, no petitions, nothing. Universal was not easy to reach (this haven't changed over the years!), so we could not afford to doubt it. Back them, most of us were anxious about the possibility that Miami Vice would never reach the digital era: so we were able to discuss everything but (arguably) the main subject. That must have taken place in 2002-2003 max, as in 2004 S1 DVD was announced, and in February 2005 it reached the stores.

Very nice people were interested in the miami-vice.org, but unfortunately, and this I just can't understand why, the site could also attract pretty messed-up people. It could be a very turbulent place, so even in good times, there was always the possibility of a saloon fight to start somewhere out of the blue. After .org got big, and before the Dumb and Dumber sad "finale", If it weren't for Ferrariman, I don't think there would be so many good years in there.

Edited by ivoryjones
  • Like 2

• Administrators

Yes Ivory, that was late in 2003.  Here's more info direct from the TVShowsOnDvd  website!  Click the lower link to read how the Vice DVDs went from a taboo topic to an actual reality! We have Gord Lacey to thank for going above and beyond to get to the bottom of that lunacy!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Miami-Vice/900 

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/shownews/Miami-Vice/2770

• Like 4

Wow!!! Thanks, Ferrariman! Visiting those links beamed me up to that time... Back then, we were all uncertain about  a complete Miami Vice being released on DVD or not, or being released without its original music. It's funny what 14 years can do (14 years! I can't believe it!)... We had the DVDs, the Blu-Rays, all of them with the original music, and we've survived the lunatics.

i checked in so sporadically i must have missed the drama. although for a while there before the dvds came out there was a lot of posting there.

I will have to check out some of these links.  

It was like some kind of bizzaro-world and some parts are getting fuzzy, but not the fact that 'net trolls and jerks were running amok. 

FM was always a fair and good-natured moderator and member, so it was repugnant to see people like RB and srobak turning on him and, trolling other people, like Sonny's EJ who organized the first convention. I don't know peoples' personal opinions about her but she tried really hard to make a good gathering.  

Anyway, people jumped ship from org and and the breaking point was incredible to watch.  FM was banned?!  

And - why?  How was that just, or any sort of improvement?  Epic threads.

The "new and improved" org site was just a joke. srobak finally got his dream to move up in the ranks from troll to site admin,  and yeah, give a thug a badge and watch how self-righteous he becomes.  Funny but disturbing.

Thanks for mentioning the Universal scam, that was just way out there.   

FM you should tell the story about Pierre Philippe sometime, for a good laugh.  

Edited by cageyJG
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, cageyJG said:

FM you should tell the story about Pierre Philippe sometime, for a good laugh.  

I do remember this one was a huge annoyance!

• Administrators

Oh man!  When I first became moderator on .org PP (as he was commonly referred to ) was a royal pain in the you know what! A real thorn in my side. Whether he was a real fan or not he was just a truly annoying person.  He bothered many of our members with his useless blathering and it almost always turned into an argument.  At the time, even though I was the site moderator, I didn't have the authority to ban members. We would have to wait until Randolph, the site owner, showed up. The thing is, he would ban the guy and ten minutes later he would re-register!  And Randolph, at best would show up sometimes days or weeks later only to ban him again and have him re-register again!   .org didn't have all the neat tricks that today's site offers. With what we have today, plus multiple admins, trolls don't stand a chance.  

I do remember one funny story about Pierre. One time Randolph somehow changed something so that whenever Pierre tried to login to .org he was directed to the Disneyland website!

I honestly don't remember what became of Pierre. Several years ago I received an e-mail. He claimed he was Pierre and that he had been on our site all along. Perhaps he finally learned his lesson?

• Like 2

Without reading all the past history and drama entailed, I just want to say thank you, for keeping this site alive and well. I have seen other fan sites (for bands) crash and burn due to a few bad spirits, I appreciate this place and all of you. Have a great week, everyone!

• Like 3

• Administrators

Thanks!  Just from reading the stories and info in this topic you can see that this site and it's previous incarnation (.org) has literally been through the ringer over the years. With everything from trolls to fake Universal lawyers, absent site owners and one insane cameraman we have somehow managed to survive through it all and we're not going anywhere anytime soon!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Thanks!  Just from reading the stories and info in this topic you can see that this site and it's previous incarnation (.org) has literally been through the ringer over the years. With everything from trolls to fake Universal lawyers, absent site owners and one insane cameraman we have somehow managed to survive through it all and we're not going anywhere anytime soon!

Yes, at leat we got you Ferrariman:) At least something from the .org days: ))  Too bad we cant have that jukebox we had at .org back in the days:)  that would be really great. We could listen to our favorite tracks, even see track of the week, track of the year :)))     by the way, what happened to that jukebox? Lawyers came along and gave you a message to cut it down:))?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, S0NNY said:

Yes, at leat we got you Ferrariman:) At least something from the .org days: ))  Too bad we cant have that jukebox we had at .org back in the days:)  that would be really great. We could listen to our favorite tracks, even see track of the week, track of the year :)))     by the way, what happened to that jukebox? Lawyers came along and gave you a message to cut it down:))?

I feel ya.

I recommend this

and this