Original episodes vs TV Cut edit

S0NNY

I noticed a really long time ago that some tv channels across the world someitmes broadcat episodes which are edited, some episodes lack scenes.  For instance in "hostile takeover" episode there is a scene where Burnett and Cliff King are shooting a rocket launcher and Cliff King says "this is better than shooting squirrels"    But i noticed that this scene is usually omitted when they broadcast miami vice on some channels , no matter what country, even on satellite tv i saw this episode without that scene.   What do guys think, do channels edit episodes personally for some reason or what? cos its very strange.  Maybe some of you noticed other scenes in other episodes missing when you catch vice on tv?    

Edited by S0NNY

• 3 weeks later...
On December 7, 2016 at 10:08 AM, S0NNY said:

I noticed a really long time ago that some tv channels across the world someitmes broadcat episodes which are edited, some episodes lack scenes.  For instance in "hostile takeover" episode there is a scene where Burnett and Cliff King are shooting a rocket launcher and Cliff King says "this is better than shooting squirrels"    But i noticed that this scene is usually omitted when they broadcast miami vice on some channels , no matter what country, even on satellite tv i saw this episode without that scene.   What do guys think, do channels edit episodes personally for some reason or what? cos its very strange.  Maybe some of you noticed other scenes in other episodes missing when you catch vice on tv?    

Yes, different channels do edit the episodes differently.  I remember that TNN had different edits than VH-1.  The worst edit of all time was when they cut out the Argentinian assassin's appearance on a park bench on Lincoln Road right after Sonny and the crew arrest Linus Oliver.

They just want to shorten them so they can squeeze in more commercials.  "It's the lure of easy money, it's got a very strong appeal."  :radio:

• Like 1

Fun fact: Here in Germany, the scene from "Evan" where Crockett visits a neo-Nazi arms dealer was cut out completely. Even when it first aired on ARD in 1987. And ARD tended to be very gentle with edits.

unbenannt.jpg

Showing anything Nazi themed on TV was a very touchy issue in Germany.

Also, for no apparent reason (but maybe to cut running time down to 45 minutes, which was the show's time slot), the whole scene from "Lombard" where Lombard sits at the dinner table with Crockett and Tubbs at the safe house, and where they are later playing cards, was missing in the ARD version.

unbenannt2.jpg

EDIT : Also, the opening scene from "Yankee Dollar" at the OCB where the vice squad is getting ready to go home was cut completely, and the episode starts at the beginning of "Par Avion". Possibly again to cut the episode down to 45 minutes.

I'm not sure about other episodes, but these are the ones I remember. It kind of made it fun to watch the episodes uncut on DVD again, because even episodes that I had seen dozens of times on my VCR all of a sudden had "new" scenes in them.

The show was later aired on RTL, one of the major cable networks here. Needless to say, that didn't go well for the editing of most episodes. Also, RTL showed the episodes on daytime TV, which meant that many more violent scenes had to be cut as well. I watched the episodes a few times on RTL, but it was just painful.

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 2

Funny thing is that some cuts seem to come from the channels that have the rights to rerun the series, but some cuts seem to come from the "supplier"... I'm thinking now about the "There's no business like show business" cut from "Heart of Darkness" forever since perhaps the late '80s. Also, at least where I live, "The Prodigal Son" on cable was shown as a 2-parter. It was shown like that by 2 different channels, with half a decade of distance. In both cases, the first part ended with the scene in which the NYC cops argue with Crockett and Tubbs on the streets. Well, in both cases the line "If the supplier can't deliver, the Revillas' customers start to shiver/ You're a poet Rico/ And my Mama knows it" was cut!

• Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb ivoryjones:

Well, in both cases the line "If the supplier can't deliver, the Revillas' customers start to shiver/ You're a poet Rico/ And my Mama knows it" was cut!

That's odd. It's kind of an important dialoge too because it sets the stage for their next move.

• Like 1

In regards to MV’s recent airing on Centric. Centric had a specific time slot to fit in not only the entire episode, but individual scenes. They wanted to hit certain breaks at certain times for specific commercials.

I heard, but I am not 100% sure, that Centric showed episodes out of order, cut scenes and didn’t show certain episodes altogether and it upset Miami Vice's syndication folks and they eventually pulled the show or just didn’t re-up their contract.

Edited by king77

I know both the episodes that aired on the U.S. networks TV Land and TNN/Spike TV were cut significantly. I remember specifically Indian Wars on Spike missing the scene where Tubbs finds the traces of "cocaine" at the reservation after the swamp dump. Funny enough when the U.S. channel Sleuth got them they kept the episodes intact except for the two-parter for Brother's Keeper. I remember specifically in Brother's Keeper when Crockett and Eddie were riding to the deal with Corky they edited out Crockett's entire exchange with Corky after Corky tells them the deal has changed. Instead it just cuts to Eddie nodding after Corky explains the deal. I'm guessing it all depends on the amount of commercials a channel usually airs. Spike was somewhat moderate about it while I remember TV Land being a lot more excessive with it as they just LOVED their commercial breaks.