Eddie J. Olmos NEW INTERVIEW

S0NNY

Hey!  I found a new interview with Eddie Olmos:) He is talking about getting cast on miami vice and about tense situations with Don Johnson:) Very interesting:) I am posting parts on of the interview here, enjoy:) 

Eddie about getting cast on Vice:

Eddie about first day on set with DJ:

Eddie about his character:

Eddie about Vice legacy:

Edited by S0NNY
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting thought, if Edward James Olmos had only played in a few episodes, and not as Lt. Castillo...

Could you have seen him as a drug dealer? He just seemed too perfect as a man of the law on the straight and narrow...

What was that episode called again where Castillo did mask as a drug dealer and drove that black exotic sports car?

Edited by Daytona74

(I want to say Indian Wars but it could be some other ep?^)

Eddie Olmos was perfect as Lt. Castillo, in fact he might be my favourite character on the show. The chemistry he had with C&Ts was incredible and his soft spoken nature was a brilliant counterpoint to C&T's (particularly Crockett's) hotheadedness. Plus his cheap black suits and badass moustache acted as a visual counterpoint to the flashy attires of C&Ts. The 3 of them together on screen just look right.

I do love the stereotypical Lt. in cop shows/movies where they shout down and belittles the main characters but Castillo commands just as much authority from a peircing stare and his unassuming nature. Plus his whole backstory in the Golden Triangle was awesome.

My favourite Castillo moment is the fight in Golden Triangle Pt. 1. For the first half of the season we see Castillo as this gentle authority figure and then he reveals himself to be a badass who can kick a trained killer's butt easily.

• Like 1

yeah you're right, that episode should be "Indian Wars".

It's part of the body of episodes that I haven't watched as many times as seasons one and two ;)

I think the chemistry between Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas on the one hand and Edward James Olmos on the other hand wasn't that great though; at least not in a positive sense. Edward James Olmos hints at tensions on the set in the interview above, and I think they really never quite became friends off camera. But in a way, they were able to use that lack of positive vibe to the show's favor, in that it perfectly underscores Castillo's position as their superior who is all about his work, and all about his detectives understanding that a job needs to be done. Somebody who will not have his authority challenged, if you know what I mean.

Just think of his line from "Evan":

"You expect understanding. So do I. Understand that work gets done."

• Like 2

Funny to hear he had difficulty with Johnson & not Thomas. Watching at the time, it seemed Castillo had very little relationship with Tubbs. Just the impression I got. He seemed closer to Crockett. Close isn't the right word. Rather I felt he viewed Crockett as almost a second in command under himself.