OCB Front

ivoryjones

I was always sure that "Gold Coast Shipping Co." was the OCB facade. It makes sense, of course, they are in Miami.

But now with the Blu-Rays, every time I see it, It makes me wonder whether it is "Gold" or "Bold"...

Could it not be "Gold" ???? Images below come from "One Way Ticket"

036-one%20way%20ticketmill%20creek%20bd_

Edited by ivoryjones

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2016 at 10:44 AM, ivoryjones said:

I was always sure that "Gold Coast Shipping Co." was the OCB facade. It makes sense, of course, they are in Miami.

But now with the Blu-Rays, every time I see it, It makes me wonder whether it is "Gold" or "Bold"...

Ha ha ! It does look like Bold Coast ! 

How are you finding the blu ray quality?! :D

• Like 1

• Administrators

Must be the angle. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be Bold Coast. However, the L doesn't even look like an L. Bord Coast? lol

Nah, I'm 99% sure that it's Gold Coast. It has to be.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Ha ha ! It does look like Bold Coast ! 

How are you finding the blu ray quality?! :D

Matt5, I must confess I'm very impressed with the blu ray quality so far (I'm on last disc of Season 2 right now). If someone does not care that much about faithfulness to the original Miami Vice look in the '80s and does not mind an audio issue here and there, I'd say he/she should go for it without hesitation. Personally, I regret Universal/Mill Creek (probably Universal in the particular case) would not care about restoring the prints colors back to the way they looked in the '80s. That's my main issue. I regret, for instance, the Miami Vice logos had the tones screwed-up and that, of course, reflects as well in the actual episode scenes.

• Administrators
41 minutes ago, ivoryjones said:

Matt5, I must confess I'm very impressed with the blu ray quality so far (I'm on last disc of Season 2 right now). If someone does not care that much about faithfulness to the original Miami Vice look in the '80s and does not mind an audio issue here and there, I'd say he/she should go for it without hesitation. Personally, I regret Universal/Mill Creek (probably Universal in the particular case) would not care about restoring the prints colors back to the way they looked in the '80s. That's my main issue. I regret, for instance, the Miami Vice logos had the tones screwed-up and that, of course, reflects as well in the actual episode scenes.

I agree that the picture quality is decent. My main problem is the audio glitches. Because I'm in region 2 I have to spend $200 for the box set, I don't want to spend that money only to find out the audio is messed up. I might wait a bit longer, though thus far I've only heard about Heart of Darkness having an issue - Hopefully that's the only one, then it wouldn't be such a big deal. It isn't really an episode I watch often anyway. 

Are the audio glitches as big a deal as people make them out to be on the 5.1 track? Are they mood killers?

17 hours ago, James said:

Are the audio glitches as big a deal as people make them out to be on the 5.1 track? Are they mood killers?

Most of the time, I've been using the 2.0 audio, but every now and then I check bits of the 5.1. As I have no 5.1 system, whenever I choose 5.1, what I get is an automatic downmix to 2.0, normally different to my ears than the "native" 2.0. Well, the only thing that really annoyed me regarding the 5.1 was "Heart Of Darkness", enough to get my attention from the ep itself. But I would bet it's not that disturbing if you have a 5.1 system running. Also, I didn't like at all the way that ep looked on Blu-Ray. It seemed too pale/brownish to my taste. I don't remember getting that from other, previous sources.

• Like 1

On December 11, 2016 at 5:44 AM, ivoryjones said:

It sure could be "Bold" from those pics, but it's definitely "Gold".  The original name of the pilot was "Gold Coast".

• Like 1

9 hours ago, airtommy said:

It sure could be "Bold" from those pics, but it's definitely "Gold".  The original name of the pilot was "Gold Coast".

Considering this, I have no remaining doubts on the subject. Perhaps the way the sunlight hit the facade messed the "G" a bit. Funny is that the Blu-Ray created an issue because it had better image than previous versions. One (at least I) could not read much of that facade before it, now with the Blu-Ray it is possible, but not good enough yet. Maybe if one day Miami Vice is released in 4K (LOL).

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a better shot from "Trust Fund Pirates". Not that there were remaining doubts about the subject, but here's the image, undoubtedly "Gold Cost Shipping Co."

043-trust%20fund%20piratesmill%20creek%2

• Like 4

On 06/01/2017 at 2:29 AM, ivoryjones said:

I've got a better shot from "Trust Fund Pirates". Not that there were remaining doubts about the subject, but here's the image, undoubtedly "Gold Cost Shipping Co."

043-trust%20fund%20piratesmill%20creek%2

Yes much better! 

Funny is that apparently they've changed it on "Stone's War" on the night take. Here's a pic from the ep:

046-stones%20warmill%20creek%20bd_22.07_

I can't read it. It's something like this:

MIAMI

SHIPQ???? - CORP.

It's "Miami Shipyards Corp", which was the real-life company on that property.  I guess that they forgot to put up the "Gold Coast Shipping" prop for this shot.  I gathered all the OCB info and threads in the first post of this thread:

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/12681-miscellaneous-miami-discussions/

Something that might interest you:  This same clip is reused in Indian Wars, but with a different tint.

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 3