The graceful Charlie Glide

mirrorimageegamirorrim

I have a strange observation and challenge for everyone.  Starting around 34:22 in "Yankee Dollar", you witness Charlie Glide performing a physical stunt that actually is quite hard to do though he makes it appear easy.  You've probably never even noticed it before.  Observe the position he is sitting in when Crockett kicks his chair out from underneath him.  Then, watch how he effortlessly stands up without any extra re-positioning of his arm or legs. It's remarkable actually.  I've tried to replicate this myself and have yet to do it like him.  Maybe I'm just too stiff or my leverages are not optimal.  Please, everybody who reads this, try to do this yourself and let me know if you can do it like him.

• Like 1

whelp... Ned Eisenberg was 28, 29 maybe when that episode was shot, and he looks quite wiry both in Lombard and Yankee Dollar... I probably could have done that at that age with a little practice... nowadays, my back kind of makes it a careless thing to attempt... :)

Edited by Daytona74

11 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

whelp... Ned Eisenberg was 28, 29 maybe when that episode was shot, and he looks quite wiry both in Lombard and Yankee Dollar... I probably could have done that at that age with a little practice... nowadays, my back kind of makes it a careless thing to attempt... :)

No problem, pal.  I suspect that the ability to do this depends on leverages determined by limb and torso length, and flexibility.  The former is something that cannot be changed but the latter can be improved through training.  I would love to hear if some of the whipper snappers on the site can do this. 

Edited by mirrorimageegamirorrim

This is a skill you'll have to learn if you want to wear haute couture. Ha! But it's not too difficult; you just have to plant your feet wide apart, and then push yourself up with your right arm, as Glide does.

• Like 1