Episodes 56 & 57 - Down ForThe Count (Pts 1 & 2)

miamijimf

Posted: 06 May 2007 at 10:27pm by airtommyLarry Zito's Apartment 734 10th Street Miami Beach This is just two blocks south of Gina's place. http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=n8x1d389nt5t&style=o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=9381154&sp=Point.n8x2pz89ntdz_Zito%27s%20Place%20734%2010th%20St.%20Miami%20Beach%2C%20FL___&encType=1Posted: 07 May 2007 at 8:27am by airtommyVirrick Arena - Opening Scene Charthouse Drive & S. Bayshore Drive Coconut Grove 33. Coast Guard Hangar During World War I, Dinner Key was the site of one of the nation’s first Naval Air Stations. At the end of the war, the station closed but the key’s military presence did not end. In 1932, the U.S. Coast Guard Air Station Miami was commissioned at Dinner Key and became one of the nation’s busiest search and rescue operations. It was particularly active during the early years of the Cuban exodus. The base moved to Opa-locka in 1965 and the City of Miami acquired the property. It was later known as the “Virrick Gym” because the late Elizabeth Virrick, founder of Coconut Grove Cares, organized a boxing program there for young men. See Village By The Bay by Arva Moore Parks:http://www.gmcvb.com/miamiheritage/images/C-HD%20Village%20by%20the%20Bay.pdfIt's been reported that this building is gone, but I am wondering if perhaps it has just been remodeled. Posted: 07 May 2007 at 8:54am by airtommyGiulinni's Condo This is in Bal Harbour just south of Haulover Cut. Eingefügtes BildAnd here is the pool that we see as Giulinni threatens the henchman: Eingefügtes BildPosted: 07 May 2007 at 7:37pm by Tom71other locations of this ep are: 1. 1415 North View Drive (Guzman´s House). I believe that the scene with Don King was also shot in this house (given the look and the furniture of the kitchen this scene takes place in) 2. Miami Beach Post office 1300 Washington Ave, Miami Beach (Crockett gets Zito´s mail) Posted: 07 May 2007 at 8:12pm by Matt5More Locations of Part 2 are : CHASE - Starts on Biscayne Bvld going past Braman Bmw continues on Biscayne Bvld/Ne 22/23 St's heading towards Downtown( past Bacardi Building - visible in b/g ). The Car Chase then switches to Downtown streets - North Miami Ave/SE1st and 2nd Streets then S Miami Ave ( under the Macy's underpass) . The Car jump scene is on S Miami Ave Bridge. End Scene (Boat) - Watson Island. Mall - unknown I believe. Airtommy - looking at Live Birds Eye, I would agree, I very much doubt Virrick Arena is gone just remodelled into the Coastguard Hangar ( No33) . In fact surely that large car park in front of the Hangar is where C&T, Z&S pulled up at the beg of part one. Sure looks like it to me - also I believe the entrance to Virrick and the Coastguard hanger (front) is also located in the same spot. The size of the hangar, exterior design and the car park all matches up imo. Posted: 07 May 2007 at 10:17pm by airtommyOriginally posted by tom711415 North View Drive (Guzman´s House). I believe that the scene with Don King was also shot in this house (given the look and the furniture of the kitchen this scene takes place in)Interesting idea! I'll have to study this.

This is good stuff, miamijimf. Thanks for keeping the location threads going. I for one would love to see this take off on this site as it did "over there".

Posted: 07 May 2007 at 5:07pm by Tom71AFAIk the mall used was in Fort Lauderdale. Someone who was there at the time of shooting posted this in a thread a few weeks ago.Posted: 07 May 2007 at 5:13pm by Matt5really . interesting . Galleria? as in "Phil the Shill"? Posted: 07 May 2007 at 5:50pm by Tom71no, I just found it in the episode section: allegedly it was the Town and Country Mall in Kendall.Posted: 07 May 2007 at 6:03pm by Matt5rumor has it - according to the postee that mall is on the way out. Still good to locate the mall however, if it is indeed the Kendall Mall . Thanks. Posted: 07 May 2007 at 6:57pm by airtommyThe scene near the end with the jetskier and the payphone call - was that Bayside? If so, Bayside has changed a little bit. Posted: 08 May 2007 at 2:28am by Tom71airtommy: that pier seems to be the Dania pier that was also used in "Red tape" and "Lombard" Posted: 08 May 2007 at 2:44am by airtommyWow, I didn't think to look at Dania. I was looking at Miami Beach, Coconut Grove, etc. Too bad there's no bird's eye view for Dania. Chase There are two dead ends in that area. I wasn't sure in which one Crockett gets trapped. Finally, I noticed the building behind him has a circular window and I found a match. He was on SW 1st Ave with SW 7th St behind him. X = Crockett trapped in dead end Circle = Building w/ circular windows White Arrow = Crockett playing chicken Black Arrow = Bad guy playing chicken Eingefügtes BildAt 23:47, the cars are heading westbound on SE 2nd Street and they turn left onto S Miami Avenue. Posted: 08 May 2007 at 7:45am by DanJAirtommy, can you give me the time stamp on exactly where you saw the building pictured below? I just looked at that entire scene and although I recognized the area I didn't see the round windows of the Fram Art Center.Eingefügtes BildBTW if you look carefully, the above building can be seen in the first part of MV '06.A friendly request: As we continue this discussion, whenever possible could we clarify if we are talking about Pt. 1 or Pt. 2?And the airfield where Gina & Trudy drop off the code book in Pt. 2 - Opa Locka Airport? And what kinda car is that they pull up in?Part 2 @ 35:05 - C&T pull up to Gulinni's building. Airtommy has established the location of the highrise, but nevertheless this looks like the front of the Alexander to me. In the next cut (35:16) where we see a camera shot looking up the side of the building, that looks like Turnberry Isle to me. Actually it looks like recycled footage from the teaser of "Golden Triangle Pt. 1." What do y'all think?RECYCLED ACTORS DEPARTMENTThere's a bunch of 'em here. To wit:Sordoni is played by Antone Coroni, whom we first saw in MV way back in S1's "Heart Of Darkness" as the air conditioner repairman in the teaser snuff film scene. He later appeared as one of the corrupt South Beach cops in "Whatever Works."Guzman is played by the same guy who played the dope dealer in "Yankee Dollar" who couldn't stop laughing and ate with his fingers.Finally, Giulinni is the same actor that played DeMarco in "One Eyed Jack"Did I miss anyone? Posted: 08 May 2007 at 11:00am by Matt5Originally posted by DanJIn the next cut (35:16) where we see a camera shot looking up the side of the building, that looks like Turnberry Isle to me. Actually it looks like recycled footage from the teaser of "Golden Triangle Pt. 1." What do y'all think? Yup that's def that's the hotel in Turnberry Isle Marina as an exterior shot - probrably recycled - certainly the same camera angle Posted: 08 May 2007 at 1:29pm by airtommyYes, I do recall there were some switcheroos involving Giulinni's condo, and I did make a note about the "Score" condo. I'll study it tonight. Chase (Pt. 2) - Nice shot of the Frame Art Center! You see the round windows around 24:50 and then again at 25:09. At 24:50, on the right side of the screen you can see an awning extending out from the corner of a building. This awning is visible on my sat pic. You can see this awning more clearly at 25:24 for a few frames. This highlights a major blooper in the chase sequence, as Crockett is suddenly coming northbound (the wrong way!) on SW 1st Ave crossing 7th St, as if he had been trapped somewhere south of 7th St. My gut tells me that in 10 years this little maze of side streets will be gone, replaced by one large building. Posted: 08 May 2007 at 6:37pm by airtommy(Part 2) OK, I just skimmed through all the scenes. All the interior scenes were filmed in the same Bal Harbour condo as noted above. When C&T pull into the condo garage at 35:04, that is also at the same condo. Why they threw in the Turnberry Isle clip at 35:16 is a mystery. Posted: 08 May 2007 at 6:45pm by airtommyOriginally posted by tom71no, I just found it in the episode section: allegedly it was the Town and Country Mall in Kendall.No doubt in my mind that he's correct. Look at 43:51 when Crockett & Tubbs and Switek drive up to the mall entrance. It matches perfectly with this: http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=n8fbx48910zg&style=o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=9673436&sp=Point.n8fc8r89118s_8505%20Mills%20Dr%2C%20Miami%2C%20FL%2033183%2C%20United%20States___&encType=1Now look around that area and tell me what else looks familiar. Posted: 09 May 2007 at 2:35am by Tom71Originally posted by airtommyNow look around that area and tell me anything else looks familiar. If this is a hint that another location is near, I couldn´t find it and there is, of course, no inside view of the mall from Bird´s Eye. Posted: 09 May 2007 at 6:03am by DanJAirtommy, your link above shows me nothing. It pops up a window asking to type "What" and "Where" I want to search.

Posted: 09 May 2007 at 2:13pm by miamijimfDanJ, This link works for me. My guess is you have to have MS Virtual Earth on your computer. Its free. I think the download location is http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?pocId=&freetext=virtual%20earth&DisplayLang=en.Posted: 09 May 2007 at 8:40pm by airtommyI don't have MS Virtual Earth, so that isn't necessary. Maybe it only works in IE and maybe DanJ isn't using IE? Just a guess. Anyway, the mall address is 8505 Mills Drive 33183. Posted: 18 May 2007 at 6:42am by airtommyOriginally posted by airtommylink Now look around that area and tell me what else looks familiar. Nobody has figured this out?!?!?!?!?!?Posted: 18 May 2007 at 4:41pm by SOFLAJEREMYAre you talking about the "lake" where the jet skiers were.??Posted: 18 May 2007 at 8:36pm by airtommyYes!!! Posted: 21 January 2008 at 6:06pm by Matt5Ref the photos originally posted by airtommy earlier in this thread:Giulinni's Condo This is in Bal Harbour just south of Haulover Cut and the pool where we see Giulinni threatening the henchman: There are two pictures of the above, courtesy of Kingofvicecity , on the Miami Vice Travel section of .org under the "here's some photos of Miami" thread.

The mall shootout at the end of Down For The Count 2 was at the Town and County Center in Kendall. It is my sad duty to inform you that it has been demolished. I was there last November and I got this photo of it. You'll notice the lake where the jetskier was and where Sordoni was on the phone to Guillini and no mall behind it. The one in the distance is a different mall.Eingefügtes BildThis really sucks as it was a great location from my favourite episode (tied with Death & The Lady). Now it's gone to Vice location heaven with OCB and the Senator Hotel.

Ref the unknown location of the Mortuary in the beginning of Down for the Count pt2.I can't find the mortuary in S. Fla. I also searched churches and cemetaries. I think it's probably stock footage which Vice used on rare occasions. Notice that no cast member or extra appears in this outside shot. There is no clue where the inside shots were filmed- could be a studio. from an email by DanJ 28 Mar 09I have no idea where that mortuary might be. Other interesting locations:The nighttime pursuit of C&T in the Testarrosa was filmed in downtown Miami. They start somewhere along Biscayne Blvd and 20th street, as indicated by the Bacardi building and the Braman auto dealership that used to be at around Biscayne and 19th (I went shopping for my first car with my parents at this dealership - we ended up buying a Toyota Corolla from Kendall Toyota instead.). They then zip and wind through the streets of downtown, and the chase finishes on the Miami Avenue bridge. You can see the International Place tower in the background on the bridge scenes (This alone is THE tipoff as to where they are, as this is the only place where you can see the building that clearly.), and at one point near the very end you see some writing on a wall indicating the Big Fish sandwich shop.The Alexander hotel is used in several scenes. One scene shows the Testarosa pulling up the front entrance, then a cut to a stock clip of NOT the side of the Alexander, but the Turnberry Isle building as seen in Golden Triangle - wow! Then they cut to an interior which I believe is once again at the Alexander. In an earlier scene you can see the pool deck from the balcony, about five floors up - compare that view of the deck with the view of a pool deck from Definitely Miami, where Ted Nugent's character is on the balcony, looks out and exclaims, "It's definitely Miami!" By this point in MV's history they had production offices in the Alexander, I believe actually on the 5th floor but I could be mistaken.C&T's last visit to Guzman's home reveals an interesting view of Biscayne Bay. You can see Mt. Sinai in the distance behind the Julia Tuttle Causeway, and once or twice as the camera follows the actors you can see a church steeple out of the upper right quadrant of the picture. This is not the mortuary from the opening, but it IS the church from the beginning of Viking Bikers From Hell. This should effectively help us place where that house was located.Guzman's jewelry store in the "Bayfront Mall" was actually the Town & Country Mall in Kendall. A scene where a girl is jet-skiing in a pond or lake was filmed here (I think you can actually see a banner that reads Town & Country Mall.). That body of water is still there, but the main building of the Town & Country mall is gone today (Another landmark gone forever.). I used to go regularly to Charcoal's in that mall back in the day, and in the final shootout you can see their sign. Switek chases Guzman up a curved stairway - I used to take those stairs up to Charcoal's all the time. Ah, memories of youthful days gone by...The gym was most likely a set at Greenwich, but wishful thinking on my part wants it to be the 5th Street Gym on Miami Beach. I just don't know, because I never went inside the 5th Street gym.Sorry I wasn't much help with the mortuary, but hopefully I made up with all the other data. Let me know if anyone manages to locate the mortuary.DJP.S. I couldn't figure out the coffee shop toward the end of the episode where Switek sits at the counter alone. Further scrutiny of that scene might reveal its location...P.P.S. Zito's place has been identified as being on Miami Beach. I believe this is the only episode that shows Zito's residence.from an email by DanJ 28 Mar 09Jim,You're welcome to quote my dissertation.An update: I discussed this episode with a friend right after I emailed you, and he believes the gym scenes were filmed at the Van Wyck Gym in Coconut Grove. He tells me he used to go roller skating in the Grove back in the late '70's and they used skate past the Van Wyck gym all the time. As such, he recognized the gym in the episode from memory.Also, I pinpointed Guzman's house. It is on Sunset Island, on North View Drive just past Lake Avenue, on the north side of the island. If you Live Earth it, look for a pool shaped like a + sign, a c-shaped boat dock and a gazebo structure next to the boat dock. NOTE: This house is directly across the street from the house seen in the beginiing of Home Invaders, where the bikini girl in the skates comes out and ties her shoe laces. You may recall that in that episode we clearly see street signs indicating Lake Avenue and North View Drive.DJ

Guillini's place was the Tifany Condo in Bal Harbor. I posted two photos of it on page 7 of my Miami pictures thread in the travel section

• 3 years later...
I have published part 2 on my location site. Part two used the most reused footage of any episode up to that point. It reused footage from Killshot,Part 1, Stone's war and even footage from Laverne and Shirley. Enjoy.

I have published part 2 on my location site. Part two used the most reused footage of any episode up to that point. It reused footage from Killshot' date='Part 1, Stone's war and even footage from Laverne and Shirley. Enjoy.[/color']

Nice work SoflaJeremy - interesting about reused footage !:D

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Down For the Count Pt 2 - dead end during chase . :D [ATTACH=CONFIG]7697[/ATTACH]

Watched the two episodes "Down for the Count " (Pts 1 & 2 ) last nite - great episodes . Part 2 moves a lot quicker and is a particularly great episode. Brill locations also - I visited and took shots of many of these in Februry and will upload a few shortly .  :D  :)  :fireworks:

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

Man, I just spent half a week mapping out that night-time chase scene!  Even though it was obvious where they were generally (Braman area, downtown, Big Fish area), the specific locations of all the cuts were really tough to find.

Tommy Vercetti and DanJ both said the mall is gone.  But when I look on satellite view, I still see the mall.  Here is the website:  http://www.thepalmsshops.com/ Was a new mall built in its place perhaps?

The mall shootout at the end of Down For The Count 2 was at the Town and County Center in Kendall. It is my sad duty to inform you that it has been demolished. I was there last November and I got this photo of it. You'll notice the lake where the jetskier was and where Sordoni was on the phone to Guillini and no mall behind it. The one in the distance is a different mall.Miami08009.jpgThis really sucks as it was a great location from my favourite episode (tied with Death & The Lady). Now it's gone to Vice location heaven with OCB and the Senator Hotel.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Getting into a really trivial matter ...

During the chase scene, we see them go by a building labeled "Abrams Fabrics". I had this all figured out but then I see on C Glide's site he lists the address at 1789 Biscayne, which is south of 18th, but I had this building pegged as north of 18th.  So I thought I was wrong about this clip's location, including the previous turn. Finally after quite a bit of Googling I found the problem:  Abrams Fabrics moved one block!

On the left is Abrams' old store at 1825 and on the right is Abrams' newer store at 1789.  You have to really turn up the contrast on your monitor to read the sign.

Abrams_Fabrics.png

The 1825 building has been demolished.  The 1789 building is still there, though it is a car wash instead of Abrams Fabrics.  To see two more pics, click either one of these links and scroll to the very bottom:

http://www.miamivicelocations3.org/page23.html

http://www.sffl.comcastbiz.net/page137.html

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

I was watching these great episodes last nite and I noticed that just before the car chase the Ferrari is shown on West Avenue/15th Street in Miami Beach heading North before turning east on 15th Terrace. Im not sure if this was recycled from "Stone's War" - exact same stretch used but the Ferrari was not driving so slow in those scenes casually turning into 15th Terrace - those scenes were chase scenes. May have been shot for "Stone's War" and not used.:dance2::dance2:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@25.7883454,-80.1424326,3a,75y,148.46h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sP3Ii_gyxW-x14Y253Is13w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

The next frame of the "Down for the Count" chase scene jumps to Biscayne Bvld in Downtown Miami

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

Interesting.  I just watched both scenes and I agree with you.  They never make a right turn off of West Avenue in "Stone's War", not at any speed.  I agree that this clip was likely filmed for "Stone's War" but not used.  I searched CGlide's website for all instances of "West Avenue", and it seems that this clip was never used in any other episode.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, airtommy said:

Interesting.  I just watched both scenes and I agree with you.  They never make a right turn off of West Avenue in "Stone's War", not at any speed.  I agree that this clip was likely filmed for "Stone's War" but not used.  I searched CGlide's website for all instances of "West Avenue", and it seems that this clip was never used in any other episode.

Exactly airtommy this is a new location  ! I watched this episode last night and they never drove that slow in "Stone's War" and just noticed the casual turn on 15th Terrace from 15th Street in "Down for the Count" ( Part 2)

:dance2::)

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1