Episodes 56 & 57 - Down ForThe Count (Pts 1 & 2)

miamijimf

I love these episodes - after rewatching recently   - the opening scene in Part 2 looks like an Art Deco Hotel on Ocean Drive ( interior)! Could be back of Park Central ?

Look below the floor/ windows  looks like it ?!:D:done:

IMG_0156.PNG

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, airtommy said:

That's a great idea!  I bet you're right.  That floor pattern is an important clue.  

Looks like they used a lobby of one of the Ocean Drive hotels ! That floor pattern is used in those buildings - it certainly doesn't look like a set or a church . 

In Season 3 already by this point they were using Ocean Drive hotels a lot ( Waldorf Towers, Park Central , The Victor , Leslie , Carlyle, Winterhaven etc etc)

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 13/01/2017 at 5:23 AM, Matt5 said:

I love these episodes - after rewatching recently   - the opening scene in Part 2 looks like an Art Deco Hotel on Ocean Drive ( interior)! Could be back of Park Central ?

IMG_0156.PNG

Definately a Miami Beach Art Deco hotel with that floor I would think. It’s not the Park Central or some of the other hotels on Ocean Drive as I checked last year.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

Some Blu Ray images of key locations seen in this two parter from the fall of 1986. 

F2D5B186-B9CE-4EF9-9880-F37C04C05D58.jpeg

52C8F1EC-8EBE-45FC-A838-854B069277D1.jpeg

BD0AE14B-B264-4F9D-A3FB-A7CD93EB5DD0.jpeg

4143C741-1424-4A25-B260-DE221F57103B.jpeg

99F0C707-DF28-4210-84CF-C6FD2BED4F41.jpeg

2089C06C-C9A1-4CF3-8608-5A67DB8A71BA.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

1415 North View Drive, Sunset Is, Miami Beach. 
Featured in Season 3s “Down for the Count” (Parts 1 & 2), Season 2s “Junk Love” and in Season 4s “God’s Work”. The Street was also seen in the Season 1 episodes “Give a Little, Take a Little” and “Home Invaders”. 

I thought I would add it to “Down for the Count” thread as it was featured more in these two episodes than the others.
I took these photos in 2017.

4C70FDA0-F447-445B-94FE-FC2D1C78F1C7.jpeg

BCA4EA74-DEEE-4E2E-AE42-B54FBBA24F12.jpeg

745AF28A-0574-488B-A44E-D0B9C83B7630.jpeg

E4FDB019-7944-4A97-822C-9F0A1A96674F.jpeg

B08F994B-7A0E-46B4-8308-8844F646FBEB.jpeg

E30EA310-A113-4C76-BD34-F35020E5067A.jpeg

D2BB63DD-9445-4D56-96AA-F80634AAB181.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2017 at 12:23 AM, Matt5 said:

IMG_0156.PNG

Outside the window is a tiny courtyard (or alley) with a tree:

Down1.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, airtommy said:

Outside the window is a tiny courtyard (or alley) with a tree:

Down1.png

I had a semi scout around on foot of some of the Ocean Drive hotels when I was last there and didn’t match the floor exactly. But that’s definately a courtyard and the floor is very in-keeping with the Art Deco hotels in Miami Beach.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Found location! (LA) The church in the opening credits of “Down For The Count” (part 2) is actually in the Westwood area of Los Angeles. The name of the church is the Westwood Hills Christian Church and is located at 10808 Le Conte Avenue. 

Obviously standard stock footage at this time (1986/87) but interestingly it’s on the same block as the Westwood Towers building (with the skyline stock footage shot from “Shadow in the Dark”). I stumbled upon it whilst staying in this area for a long period. 

83092EAD-72F8-43B4-9EAF-84816FDCCE23.jpeg

4F812D01-ED85-4A44-AEFA-A09A8D39CC11.jpeg

416C6F3D-1CBB-47FE-92B3-09231EED7132.jpeg

70AADD6D-DA1B-4573-B948-9E9C8DF57F79.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 8/26/2019 at 11:40 AM, Matt5 said:

Found location! (LA) The church in the opening credits of “Down For The Count” (part 2) is actually in the Westwood area of Los Angeles. The name of the church is the Westwood Hills Christian Church and is located at 10808 Le Conte Avenue. 

Obviously standard stock footage at this time (1986/87) but interestingly it’s on the same block as the Westwood Towers building (with the skyline stock footage shot from “Shadow in the Dark”). I stumbled upon it whilst staying in this area for a long period.

Amazing find! 

It's incredible that it's so close to the Shadow skyline shot.  It must have been the same camera crew that filmed both of these shots for some  studio's stock footage collection.

Here are the two locations marked on a map:  https://binged.it/2Hwjed0

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 3:14 AM, airtommy said:

Amazing find! 

It's incredible that it's so close to the Shadow skyline shot.  It must have been the same camera crew that filmed both of these shots for some  studio's stock footage collection.

Here are the two locations marked on a map:  https://binged.it/2Hwjed0

Thankyou kind of you, yes amazing about the proximity - I walked from the church to the Westwood Tower building in around 2 minutes. As you say obviously second unit stock footage for other 80s shows such as “Murder She Wrote”, “Dynasty” and “Matlock”.

• 8 months later...

Unknown location: Zito´s funeral (interior scenes, the exterior location is known - see above). 

Zito´s funeral was NOT the same location as the mortuary in "Everybody´s in Showbiz" (suspected to be filmed in the music school next to the Dade Bvd recreation center that was recently torn down due to expansion of the MB Convention center), as the floor, the window pane pattern (2 vs. 1 vertical dividers per window) and also the ornaments are not the same. We have the suspicion that the floor looks like a SoBe hotel, but that is not confirmed. My personal perception is that it might be a real mortuary, as the black floor pattern band explicitly encircles the place where the coffin is displayed. That would not be the case in a hotel decorated as a funeral home or at least this is a coincidence with very low likelihood ...

P.S. Checked all listed funeral homes/mortuaries. None listed in Miami beach, the three in downtown (2 at SW8th and Flagler) do not fit as they look completely different inside.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-31 um 17.32.51.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-31 um 17.31.45.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-31 um 17.26.38.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-31 um 17.24.52.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-31 um 17.26.11.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

I checked all hotels on Ocean Drive, Collins Ave and Washington Ave, but no match with the floor pattern of Zitos funeral. Also no hotel that matches the round window we see here (curved and six 2-pane windows) and the small garden or tree behind.

The best fit with floor pattern and color was with the Tides hotel, but only roughly.

The third clue would have been the ceiling stucco I marked in above pics. But as the other two did not match, I haven´t come that far.

That is one of the reasons I wanted to get into the Tides last Sunday. It use to have bay windows in the rear as seen in Hell Hath No Fury.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb C Glide:

That is one of the reasons I wanted to get into the Tides last Sunday. It use to have bay windows in the rear as seen in Hell Hath No Fury.

Really? In which scene did you spot it?

Yesterday I noticed two interesting details about the funeral:

1. There is a door to the outside visible on the far left of the frame.

2. Right of the coffin is the left edge of a room-high window that has the same number of segments than the curved window in the second pic. In essence, I suspect that off-screen is ANOTHER curved room high window (six windows with 12 by 2 segments each that forms approx. a 45 degree angle in total) with a door to the outside in between the  two curved windows.

Together with the sunlight through the 2 small rectangular windows behind the coffin this means that this room has two sides to the outside world and at least half a yard on the third side. 

This is a very unique room shape that should be visible from outside, especially since the yard seems to have the street corner of the neighbor building visible on the far upper left of the curved garden window. The green silhouette outside seems to be caused by a single tree or bush rather than by massive greenery, so we are talking about a small yard between two buildings blocks rather than about a real garden.

Are there any Art deco (the floor!) rooms of churches or public communities in Miami (Beach) that we should check? Maybe it´s not a MB hotel, as I haven´t seen anything like this in South Beach Hotels.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-08 um 15.04.39.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 1:16 AM, Tom said:

Really? In which scene did you spot it?

When they jump out the third floor window at the end. While investigating that is when I noticed that before the addition at the back there were at least two bay windows in the rear. Here is a screen capture, though smaller it does indicate it had bay windows, possibly larger ones before the remodel of the courtyard area.

3752177938_098.bmp

vor 3 Minuten schrieb C Glide:

When they jump out the third floor window at the end. While investigating that is when I noticed that before the addition at the back there were at least two bay windows in the rear. Here is a screen capture, though smaller it does indicate it had bay windows, possibly larger ones before the remodel of the courtyard area.

3752177938_098.bmp 1 MB · 1 download

Thanks, now I see it.
But this ain’t matching with DFTC2. The windows are different in number, size and angle and there is no door between them. This can be excluded as a possibility for Zitos funeral.

vor 4 Minuten schrieb C Glide:

Yes but there were other windows at the rear toward the center of the building where (below) the pool is now.

Usually the window style is the same within a building. I doubt that there were other windows that were different than the two we see in your above still.

On 5/31/2020 at 9:15 AM, Tom said:

Unknown location: Zito´s funeral (interior scenes, the exterior location is known - see above). 

Zito´s funeral was NOT the same location as the mortuary in "Everybody´s in Showbiz" (suspected to be filmed in the music school next to the Dade Bvd recreation center that was recently torn down due to expansion of the MB Convention center), as the floor, the window pane pattern (2 vs. 1 vertical dividers per window) and also the ornaments are not the same. We have the suspicion that the floor looks like a SoBe hotel, but that is not confirmed. My personal perception is that it might be a real mortuary, as the black floor pattern band explicitly encircles the place where the coffin is displayed. That would not be the case in a hotel decorated as a funeral home or at least this is a coincidence with very low likelihood ...

P.S. Checked all listed funeral homes/mortuaries. None listed in Miami beach, the three in downtown (2 at SW8th and Flagler) do not fit as they look completely different inside.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-31 um 17.32.51.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-31 um 17.31.45.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-31 um 17.26.38.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-31 um 17.24.52.png

Just my 2-cents, but normally the viewing room doesn't have a bunch of furniture for folks to sit around and stare at an open casket. Usually the seating is outside the room and people can go in and view, or not. And if it was, the casket would be at the end, not the side as it appears here.

3rd photo down with Switek has a floor outlet, not a common item in a viewing room.

4th picture down, the left side "window" is very bright but the larger right side isn't, looks like a light panel posing as a window. 3rd photo down we see the same cutout behind Gina and Trudy, but with no "windows". One has to assume these are the side to a long "rectangle" room

5th picture down we see a semicircle and a doorway so based on 4th picture, there is another semi-circle.

So at a minimum we have a 180-degree "entrance" to a rectangle shaped room. I don't see the casket being framed on a side wall. 

The floor is definately Art Deco which would be out of place for a funeral home.

Based on the building out the window, we could possibly looking out the back not the front. The front of the building could be flat.

• Like 1

vor 27 Minuten schrieb king77:

Just my 2-cents, but normally the viewing room doesn't have a bunch of furniture for folks to sit around and stare at an open casket. Usually the seating is outside the room and people can go in and view, or not. And if it was, the casket would be at the end, not the side as it appears here.

3rd photo down with Switek has a floor outlet, not a common item in a viewing room.

4th picture down, the left side "window" is very bright but the larger right side isn't, looks like a light panel posing as a window. 3rd photo down we see the same cutout behind Gina and Trudy, but with no "windows". One has to assume these are the side to a long "rectangle" room

5th picture down we see a semicircle and a doorway so based on 4th picture, there is another semi-circle.

So at a minimum we have a 180-degree "entrance" to a rectangle shaped room. I don't see the casket being framed on a side wall. 

The floor is definately Art Deco which would be out of place for a funeral home.

Based on the building out the window, we could possibly looking out the back not the front. The front of the building could be flat.

Very good points. The assumption with two semi circle windows I have made myself in a later post.

I assume it is an Art Deco (also the ceiling stucco is clear Art Deco) building but not a known South beach hotel as I have checked all of them up to 20th Street.

Edited by Tom

• 2 weeks later...

UNKNOWN LOCATION FOUND: ZITO´S FUNERAL SITE

@C Glide @daytona365 @airtommy @Matt5 @miamijimfIt was right in front of our eyes all the time! I stumbled across an old picture today in the Bought and paid for thread that hit me. It´s the building that Crockett chased Arroyo around.

lobby of the Collins Park Hotel, 2000 Park Avenue, Miami Beach

The hotel is under heavy renovation and will be hard to recognize afterwards. Luckily we have old pictures and enough evidence!

Key matches to make my case;

1. we have the two half curved full height windows with an entrance in between of an old Art Deco Hotel. The windows are 2x10 blocks each with a quite high base height (they start not on the ground but higher up.

2. the entrance door matches in distance to the two curved windows on both sides, as is the small window above the door.

3. the corner window that we see outside fully matches with the corner if we re-create the camera angle from inside the rotunda to the outside ) In order to do that I borrowed an old Goodle Earth view from airtommy from the BAPF Thread as the hotel is under heavy renovation right now). On the google View we can see that the hotel indeed has (had) rectangular corner windows

4. Vegetation and outer yard we see behind the window fits too

5. and now the biggest proof: the unique pattern of the Collins Park Hotel, which has a "2000" above the door as can be seen in old pictures and if we watch closely in the episode we see the last end of the reverted "2" i the right upper corner of the small window above the door!

6. UPDATE: I found an interior pic from 1987 shortly before the hotel was destroyed by fire (arson). All unique interior marks are there: the wall lights, the light panels, the stucco, the inlet rounds in the wall, even the curtain with the flowers that we see in the episode! They did a great job to decorate the lobby like a mortuary. I also attach an exterior pic from 1987 to show how it looked like when VICE filmed there in Oct 1986.

ENJOY!

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-22 um 00.07.44.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-22 um 00.08.50.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-21 um 23.46.54.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-22 um 00.30.30.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-21 um 23.52.32.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-22 um 00.50.14.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-22 um 00.13.20.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-21 um 23.50.54.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-22 um 01.17.48.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-22 um 02.07.25.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-22 um 02.08.19.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 4

vor 2 Minuten schrieb miamijimf:

Downright amazing! :thumbsup:

Thanks! I am happy that I found it. Now I know why I could not find this Art deco floor on Ocean Drive, Washington and Collins.

• Like 1