Doubt about 3rd Season opening sequence changes on NBC

ivoryjones

As you know, the 3rd Season opening changes didn't happen at once, as there were logo changes (white glow), the new Ferrari insertion (Testarossa) etc, cast changes (John Diehl). Then, at a particular point, Miami Vice had it's final version of the opening, which kept being used until the end of Season 5. For what I do remember, the official DVDs and Blu-Rays didn't show these little by little changes just the way NBC did.

I have doubts about 2 episodes, "Stone's War" and "El Viejo", as I don't have the first NBC broadcasts of those two, but early repeats (things could change from first broadcast to reruns on those days, the best example of that is "Hit List"/"Calderone's Demise" becoming "The Return Of Calderone", then "Calderone's Return part I/II")

Here are some pictures mapping the changes on Season 3 (if someone could add a line on "Stone's War" and "El Viejo" first NBC broadcasts, I'd appreciate it).

Ep 45, "When Irish Eyes Are Crying": white glow and footage from "Calderone's Demise" for the first time on opening.

045-when%20irish%20eyes%20are%20cryingnb

045-when%20irish%20eyes%20are%20cryingnb

Ep 46, "Stone's War": inserted footage from "Florence Italy", but this come from a September 11, 1987 NBC rerun. Maybe first broadcast didn't have it yet. Any help on this appreciated.

046-stones%20warnbca3_zpsdqow60pu.png

Ep 47, "Killshot": just like "When Irish Eyes are Crying" 

Ep 48, "Walk-Alone": inserted footage from "Killshot" (the Testarossa footage)

048-walk-alonenbca7_zpsc5zp3sbc.png

Ep 49, "The Good Collar": inserted footage from "Florence Italy" (but there was a goof, film was reversed).

Was it inserted footage or REinserted? It depends on the first broadcast of Stone's War (any help on this appreciated), as the rerun of it from 1987 already had it.

The next episode ("Shadow in the Dark") will correct it, so that correction suggests to me that the correct insertion of that on "Stone's War" was a rerun change, not a first broadcast change... But that's just speculation. Anyone knows anything about this?

049-the%20good%20collarnbca4_zps7xrg72nb

Ep 50, "Shadow in the Dark": "Florence Italy" footage corrected. So maybe the correct appearance of it on "Stone's War" is because it was a rerun?

050-shadow%20in%20the%20darknbca4_zpscfy

Ep 51, "El Viejo": just like "Shadow in the Dark", but it is a NBC Rerun from March 6, 1987. So it had "Florence Italy" footage, Testarossa footage, Calderone's Demise footage, regardless the fact it's still a Daytona era episode!

My doubt here is whether the first run of "El Viejo" had the Testarossa or not on opening. I would expect it would still have a opening not showing the Testarossa, but anyway the first broadcast of "El Viejo" happened when the Testarossa was already a publicly known "part" of the show (any help on this appreciated).

Ep 56, "Down for the Count": still John Diehl on cast, of course

056-down%20for%20the%20countnbca7_zpshzi

Ep 57, "Down for the Count part II": still John Diehl on cast (I've seen versions of it over the years that didn't have its name, but NBC's first broadcast have it)

057-down%20for%20the%20count%20part%20II

Ep 58, "Cuba Libre": John Diehl's name out, but Saundra Santiago's name still on the Testarossa

058-cuba%20librenbca6_zpscbsb1xwn.png

058-cuba%20librenbca7_zpsdbfajfwm.png

Ep 59, "Duty and Honor": Saundra Santiago's name changes position and that's the final version of Miami Vice opening until the last episode of Season 5

059-duty%20and%20honornbca6_zps4xlaxtqt.

So there are a few things to set straight: how were the openings of Miami Vice on the first broadcasts of "Stone's War" and "El Viejo" ?

Edited by ivoryjones
  • Like 1

To be fair, John Diehl was still in the flashback at the beginning of the second part of "Down For The Count", and the end credits of part 2 also show stills of him from the first two and a half seasons. I just checked ;)

Also, not really related to this thread, but they were a bit lazy with the artwork on my UK-release box set DVD labels... :p season two photograph on the season one DVD, not sure about season 2, but then definitely an early season one press photograph for the season three label, season four again looking 1985/85ish, and God knows why then suddenly on the season 5 label they are using a season 3 picture... whoever did this was not a loyal fan of the show... :)

20170101_220614-small.jpg

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1