Favorite ep. of all time.

timm525

14 minutes ago, apocalypse said:

Death And the Lady / Forgive Us Our Debts / Out where the buses don't run.

I simply can't say which one is the best. Those three are my absolute all time favorites.

OWTBDR &  D&TL (using easier acronyms ;)) are definitely two of my favorites!! I also love the 2-part “Hit List” & “Calderone’s Demise” (later retitled “Calderone’s Return” Pts. 1&2 for syndication), “Smuggler’s Blues, “Definitely Miami”, “Little Miss Dangerous”, etc... There’s so many!! :dance2:

However, there’s something about OWTBDR that just resonates with me every time. The plot (one of two episodes based on actual cases...I’m sure loosely based ;)), acting/performances, music, depth of character, etc...it was just superb! It was also listed as one of TV’s best 101 episodes, in TV Guide in 1997.

However, I love the 2-part “Calderone Returns” I mentioned above...and those together are probably my all-time favorite...but “Buses” runs a darn close second! :clap:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, apocalypse said:

That whole ending with Brothers In Arms is TV history.

Absolutely...they couldn’t have chosen a better or more fitting song, very “haunting” and captivating! I have it downloaded to my phone. :radio:

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, apocalypse said:

That whole ending with Brothers In Arms is TV history.

The fact that they let the song run for its entire length is also both quite fitting and unusual, given how long the song is.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

One from each season:

1. Calderone's Return (second half) - a real fish-out-of-water story and it's nice to see just the two leads for a change (though I do wish the uncut version of Calderone's end was officially released).
  2. Out Where the Buses Don't Run - need I say more? :)
  3. Down for the Count (first half) - finally, albeit belatedly, Zito gets to strut his stuff.
  4. Mirror Image - face it, this was bound to happen sooner or later, and it's got one hell of a cliffhanger.
  5. Too Much, Too Late - NBC, you pansies - this is a damn good story and is basically a prologue to the "Freefall" finale.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Swevicus said:

One from each season:

1. Calderone's Return (second half) - a real fish-out-of-water story and it's nice to see just the two leads for a change (though I do wish the uncut version of Calderone's end was officially released)

The "Hit List" & "Calderone's Demise" 2-parter (later retitled "Calderone's Return" Pts. 1&2 for syndication) are probably my favorite episodes! What uncut scene or version of this are you referring to?

From what I understand, either on its first airing (as "Calderone's Demise") or on its first repeat (when both episodes were combined together into a single film - a similar situation would arise with "Down for the Count" a few years later), an extended version of Calderone getting gunned down was shown, which is several seconds longer. Since then, all future showings and video releases have used the standard quick and short version.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Swevicus said:

From what I understand, either on its first airing (as "Calderone's Demise") or on its first repeat (when both episodes were combined together into a single film - a similar situation would arise with "Down for the Count" a few years later), an extended version of Calderone getting gunned down was shown, which is several seconds longer. Since then, all future showings and video releases have used the standard quick and short version.

Yeah, later that same season NBC took both parts ("Hit List" & "Calderone's Demise")  and combined them into a special NBC Sunday night TV movie (still uncut/unedited) called "The Return of Calderone". For some reason later in syndication/reruns, they were split back out to 2 parts, but retitled to "Calderone's Return". I happen to have an original NBC airing, and I compared the death of Calderone on it to the DVDs and Blu-rays. I actually have not noticed this specific scene before, but you're right...in the original airing/version there's a few more seconds of Crockett firing & taking out Calderone, compared to home media & streaming! They must have chosen that scene to, barely--but still, trim down for reruns & their timing purposes. In all honesty it's not hardly anything you would notice immediately, nor does it really affect the episode & death of Calderone, at all...but still, it is a slight cut/edit, and alteration from the original version. Thanks for bringing this to my attention...as many times as I've watched those episodes, and they're probably my favorite/s, you'd think I'd of picked up on that! :funky:

• Like 1