Those little Vice moments which keep you going...

CharlieGlide

I know I'm not the only one who gets a near sense of deja vu when something in present time makes you feel like you're having a real Miami Vice moment such as one you may have had in the '80s. I relish these moments when it seems like the gods of Crockett & Tubbs send a lightening bolt down to me knowing I might need a wink and a nod.

One of these moments came for me leading up to Christmas. I got laid out with a terrible cold but needed and wanted to go out and get my girlfriend a nice gift. I ended up at one of her favorite but high-end clothing boutiques selling real up-to-the-moment fashion, unique in style and cut.

The salesman was super enthusiastic and helpful. I promise he had the exact same voice and faux excitement as the hairdresser in "The Home Invaders" who sends the dog of to its Bataan Death March of a shampoo job.

I also had a good sense of the clothes shopping scene in "The Great McCarthey" ("Bourbon, Julio.") and of course, the shopping montage in "Phil the Shil." It was a whirlwind of activity as the sales dude lifts and swayed dresses and jackets off of shelves and racks. Cirque de Soleil with clothes.

But the real surprise came as I was checking out. The store was playing a mix of semi-techno remixes mostly of songs I had never heard before. That is, until I handed over my card and "Twist in My Sobriety" comes on. It sounded so damn good remixed. I couldn't believe it. I tried to shazaam it to see who remixed it but in settling the bill, I couldn't get it going fast enough.

Maybe it was just meant to be that moment. A definite Christmastime treat.

• Like 7

ok, I confess; my other car is an old little convertible that's almost 20 years old. Nothing fancy. And last summer, I went fishing now and then at a lake here in the area.

Everytime I was driving to the lake, I had the top down and was listening to "Girls with Guns" by Tommy Shaw... :)

I also frequently put on "In The Air Tonight" in it, when it's a warm summer night and I've got the top down... I think one time, I had a guy next to me at a red light who was about my age and who seemed to get the reference... ;) he was smiling and giving me a "thumbs up" through his open window.

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 6

Great story Daytona74. I would do the same thing if I were a fisherman. And if I had a convertible.  I've always liked that Tommy Shaw tune, even when it came out. The top down with In the Air Tonight is everything. How cool that you got a thumbs up, as you should've.

Fishing is one of the most soothing activities I can think of... nothing gets you away from your everyday life like spending a few hours sitting on a lake shore, being out in nature and hoping you'll take home some dinner that day... :thumbsup:

True to "Glades", I thought about recreating the scene so that I would have had the fishing rods sticking up from behind the seats... but then somebody advised me that you can't just have pointy bits sticking out from your car like that... traffic safety and all that...

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1

I do the top down night driving with 'In the Air Tonight' a lot myself too during summer months in my 'poor man's Daytona'. Other than that, I also get that certain feeling while sitting on the deck of my sailboat in the marina or walking home through downtown streets late at night alone, with a cigarette in my mouth (that's when my brain starts playing 'You belong to the City')

glades.jpg

• Like 1

That's a nice ride you've got there, daytona365... :thumbsup:

Mine is a 1998 MG F. It's a two seater with green paint and cream leather seats.

I might sell it in a year or two though. All going to plan, I will then trade it in for a "black and tan" early 2000s MG TF Oxford Edition. With the idea in mind to have a "poor man's Daytona" as well... :)

These cars were never sold in the U.S.. They are mid engined compact convertibles with a 1.8-liter 16V four-cylinder transverse engine, ranging from 115 to 160hp. Which may not sound like an awful lot, but they're small lightweight cars, and with the right tune up, you will outrun many bigger and heavier cars. 0-60 on my humble 120 hp car is just over 7 seconds, thanks to a wider throttle body and a few other things.

I used to smoke too, a long time ago, and I actually remember being drawn to Lucky Strike because that was Crockett's preferred brand (as you can see in the shot in Hit List where he drops his Lucky Strike soft pack and that one guy picks it up). For whatever reason, soft packs are difficult to get here in Europe, so when I did get my hands on one occasionally, it made it all the more "vice" like to me... :)

The fact that I quit smoking has a lot to do with being able to aford a second car in the first place... :)

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1

the MX-5 / Miata has been with me for over twenty years now. I don't think I will ever sell it, I have too many fond memories tied to it. And I'm not a regular smoker myself anymore, but there are occasions that call for a smoke, also sometimes to actively create a 'Vice' moment :-)

As you mentioned the scene from 'Glades', what's missing in the shot of my car is the fishing rod and Tubbs in the passenger seat...

glades.jpg

glades 2.jpg

Edited by daytona365

Well I've only got telescopic fishing rods anyway, because they're easier to put in a suitcase when you're going on vacation. Airlines charge you well over 50 bucks these days per flight, not per trip, if you take "additional sports equipment" on board that isn't in your suitcase.

So having them stick out from my car only would have been to recreate the "Glades" scene, not for practical reasons...

Also, I think in the episode "Glades", those rods don't look like they're one-piece; they look like they're something like 7 or 8 ft. Rods of that length, if they're not telescopic ones or big game rods for marlin, shark, or larger tuna (which probably don't live in the Everglades :)), usually come in segments of around 3 ft each. There are one-piece rods of that length too, but they were never very common. You typically only use them for big heavy fish, because segment joints become a possible point of failure when you're trying to pull in a fish that's about the same size as you... :p

So there would usually be no need for you to transport a rod that way, sticking up from your back seat, and they probably would have fit in the trunk of a C3 Corvette with no problem in their disassembled state. So this was most likely purely a decision "for looks", made by the director. ;)

Are there any other anglers on this forum by any chance?

Edited by Daytona74

@Daytona74, I forgot to thank you for complimenting on my car, so...thank you! The MG-F is also a very nice ride, unfortunately you hardly ever get to see any of them anymore on the road. They were quite popular in Europe at the end of the 90's, quite strange that most of them have disappeared.

You're welcome ;)

I'm not sure where you live (Britain? The U.S.?), but from what you hear, there's still lots of them on the roads in the UK. The car was a big success there and even briefly outsold the Miata/MX5 at some point. But you also see them now and then still in mainland Europe. They're affordable cars nowadays. A decent LHD one with 60k miles starts at around $2,000 and you get about 30 to 35 miles to the gallon.

There are actually people in Canada who have started importing them to North America. You can apparently import a foreign car to Canada if it is more than 15 years old, and by now, that includes any year the MG F was made. But you won't get to register any of them in the U.S., because they don't conform to U.S. DOT vehicle specs, and U.S. customs seems to be generally a lot more fussy about importing cars. So if you ever see one in the U.S., take a picture, because you might not see one again anytime soon... ;)

Edited by Daytona74

I remember reading on CGlide's location page for this episode that the fishing rods change during the drive.

[edit] here it is:  http://www.miamivicelocations.org/page24.html

"Goof: This cut leaves me wondering who switched their fishing poles? In the first shot they did not have any poles in the car but you could say they had not picked them up yet. Then we see them driving along with what looks like trolling rods that are clearly white. We see these rods in several shots. Now for the first time we see them with what appear to be casting rods that are clearly not white but a dark brown or black. They are also no longer behind Crockett’s seat but in the middle of the car."

• 1 month later...

I've just recently experienced a 'Vice Moment' that to some extent lets me understand part of the challenges that our Vice cops were facing with having to switch between different lifestyles

I went on a business trip abroad for two weeks, having intense negotiations during the days, enjoying the comfort of a nice hotel, 'rubbing elbows with the distinguished people' (Sonny Crockett) each night at good restaurants, small-talked with beautiful ladies, bar-crawled and club-hopped sometimes until four in the morning, so you might say I had a fairly entertaining time. This is where I think even if you're normally not the type, you can easlily get into sort of a flow-mode, not worrying about anything, and someone will always pick up the tab.

Then you go back home to your normal life and all of a sudden find yourself in a totally different picture again, bringing out the garbage, cheering up the wife who had to take care of everything herself while you've been away, crotchety kids, paying the bills and all the other stuff you deal with on a regular basis.

And I have to admit that I struggled for a short moment to adjust back to it. It took me a few days before I completely fit into that skin again.   

• Like 5

4 hours ago, daytona365 said:

I've just recently experienced a 'Vice Moment' that to some extent lets me understand part of the challenges that our Vice cops were facing with having to switch between different lifestyles

I went on a business trip abroad for two weeks, having intense negotiations during the days, enjoying the comfort of a nice hotel, 'rubbing elbows with the distinguished people' (Sonny Crockett) each night at good restaurants, small-talked with beautiful ladies, bar-crawled and club-hopped sometimes until four in the morning, so you might say I had a fairly entertaining time. This is where I think even if you're normally not the type, you can easlily get into sort of a flow-mode, not worrying about anything, and someone will always pick up the tab.

Then you go back home to your normal life and all of a sudden find yourself in a totally different picture again, bringing out the garbage, cheering up the wife who had to take care of everything herself while you've been away, crotchety kids, paying the bills and all the other stuff you deal with on a regular basis.

And I have to admit that I struggled for a short moment to adjust back to it. It took me a few days before I completely fit into that skin again.   

I guess it takes awhile to realize that you have responsibilities again, and can't leave things undone or have someone else do it anymore. Not for long, anyway.

• 4 months later...

We have had a few very balmy days here in central Europe, and the other day, I was driving with my convertible through a leafy suburb and I was very frustratedly looking for a particular address (no sat nav in that 19-year-old convertible, and I loathe Google Maps). And at some point, I felt that the moment was calling for "You Can't Turn Back" by Red Rider :cool:

There may be no palm trees growing in this climate, but it was probably as close as I was ever gonna get to reenacting that scene from Tale of the Goat :p

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 2

Hope you didn't find Tubbs lying unconscious in an empty pool when you finally got there! :eek: 

• Like 1

no, but I kind of felt like pushing the people that I was paying a visit to into an empty pool for providing such vague directions... :)

On that note, since we've discussed cars in this thread before, I am occasionally toying with the thought of trading my British Racing Green '98 MG Model F in for a black and tan '2001 to '2004 MG TF (the Model F's successor). At the moment, they are kind of nearing the bottom of their resale value curve.

A black and tan TF would look a bit like this:

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=246345098

Or like this, if you try picturing it not in dark green as in the picture, but in black:

3226081md_mgtf_oxfordse_02.jpg

(or is it actually black? I'm not sure on my TFT screen here... this is the Oxford Limited Edition model, and it came in British Racing Green and Black Pearl)

A man can dream... a man can dream... :)

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

no, but I kind of felt like pushing the people that I was paying a visit to into an empty pool for providing such vague directions... :)

On that note, since we've discussed cars in this thread before, I am occasionally toying with the thought of trading my British Racing Green '98 MG Model F in for a black and tan '2001 to '2004 MG TF (the Model F's successor). At the moment, they are kind of nearing the bottom of their resale value curve.

A black and tan TF would look a bit like this:

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=246345098

Or like this, if you try picturing it not in dark green as in the picture, but in black:

3226081md_mgtf_oxfordse_02.jpg

(or is it actually black? I'm not sure on my TFT screen here... this is the Oxford Limited Edition model, and it came in British Racing Green and Black Pearl)

A man can dream... a man can dream... :)

Beautiful automobile.........looks black on my screen.

• Like 1

I think so anyway... ;)

They were never sold in the U.S.. MG's parent company Rover developed the F and TF on a shoestring budget, which is evident because they used countless Rover stock parts, and bringing out a DOT approved North American version probably would have blown their budget. You now have people in Canada importing them from Europe, because Canadian law permits the import and registration of cars older than 15 years which weren't originally Canadian DOT-approved. But the U.S. Department of Transportation still refuses registration of an F or TF to U.S. residents for road use.

Personally, I would prefer a black and tan TF to an actual McBurnie Daytona. Not just because the Daytonas now cost you an arm and a leg compared to what they were about six or eight years ago, but because you get outstanding fuel efficiency by comparison (35-40 mpg, easy). And you simply have a much newer car, for almost a tenth of what a decent Daytona will cost you nowadays.

Edited by Daytona74