My Crockett-style clothing collection

TylerDurden389

Alright Vice guys. For the past few years I've been slowly building a collection of Crockett-inspired clothes, as well as working on how to style my hair like Ol' Don (made a thread here last year asking for advice). The good news is I found a way to comb my hair that *more or less* gets the Crockett look when they styled Don's hair in a more "squared" way (mostly season 2 style), rather than that "rounded style" most are more familiar with (season 1). I may even grow it out to season 4 length, but once I can do a ponytail I think it's time to grab the scissors lol.

As for the clothes, it took a lot of time (scouring ebay at least once a month), effort (figuring out what exactly my clothing sizes are), and of course money (mostly due to how much I've paid for everything thus far), but I have myself a decent little collection of clothes that I like to wear in various ways when I go out. Now, I don't go out trying to look exactly like it's still the 80's, but I do like to have a hint of that look in a more, contemporary way. No t-shirts, no slip-on shoes, and while I do have a pair of white dress pants, i never really wear them. I stick to khakis or gray or black dress pants. Shoes are always black or brown, though I'm still working on getting a pair of gray ones. I have a few more pairs of Aviator glasses, but they're in my car and it's too cold here in NY right now for me to run out and get them. I have a few pairs of Ray-bans as well. I like the Burnett style/Stallone's Cobra style with the blue colored shades.

I'll say this though, I have friends who do stand-up comedy here in NYC, and on a few occasions, some of these open mic-ers have called me out and made some sorta Vice or Scarface mention. So I know I'm doing something right, lol. I should also note that I have 2 more blazers on their way to my house right now. One is another gray, and another one is  sky blue (you can find it on ebay, it's a cheap price from a seller in China). Not sure if I'll ever muster the courage to wear the sky blue in public, but for the most part, if the weather permits I sometimes wear these blazers with jeans and sneakers. And who knows, if I do get to move to Florida someday (only 5 more months until I'll be allowed to put in for a transfer at my job), maybe then I'll consider doing the t-shirts with blazers look, as I feel it might be more acceptable there. I may even keep the jeans with blazer looks, ala season 5 style. I think it looks pretty cool as well.

Anyway, onto the pics.

20170110_213157.jpg

Light gray with dark gray stripes.

11-30-16 (2).jpg

11-30-16 (1).jpg

Now this one I know you guys will love. I nabbed this sucker without even thinking (it was super cheap AND it fits me perfectly). This one IS white, and it has little pink, yellow and teal stripes all over it. For this one I just had to wear my teal t-shirt for it, lol. I think in these 2 pics you can get a better view of my hair and how I try to style it like Don did.

01-10-17.jpg

This one is a personal favorite of mine. Wore it while doing some rounds today. Fits me like a glove, very comfortable, and a heavier material, so it's good for winter. Not sure if you can see, but it has very thin pink stripes. Yes, I know Don never wore "heavy" blazers (God, can you imagine wearing winter blazers in Miami of all places? lol), but I can only go with what I can find online that both fits me, and fits my budget lol. Shirt is light purple.

01-10-17(10).jpg

Gray blazer with sky blue shirt and gray pants. The blazer has a bit of a "shine" effect to it, which I love. Very "Crockett-esque" IMO.

01-10-17(9).jpg

Hard to tell due to lighting, but this blazer, along with all the whites, are actually off-white/cream colored. The shirt is teal. Pants are white.

01-10-17(7).jpg

This blazer costed me nearly 80 dollars. I watched it on ebay for months and finally gave in. It's got very light colored sky blue checker patterns on it. It's also a wool-blend, so it's very heavy, and very warm. Perfect for wearing this time of year. It's a little too tight though. Shirt is orange.

01-10-17(3).jpg

01-10-17(2).jpg

I know it's hard to tell due to lighting, but I can assure you guys, these are 4 different jackets in similar color, lol.

20170110_214124.jpg

Lastly, another gray with pink stripes, but this one is very light in material, so better for warm spring/fall nights (maybe even summer nights). Only thing I don't like about it is it has somewhat large shoulder pads. TBH, I'm not even sure if it's a man's jacket or a woman's (I'm a very short man, and finding clothes that fit well is very difficult. Hence why I buy online, and hence why it's taken me so long to build this collection), but there's one button on both sides, so I don't think anyone can tell one way or the other.

That's all for now. as I said, they'll be more in the future. I actually have some darker dress clothes as well (black pants, black blazer) but I figured for now just so the stuff that looks the most Crockett-like.

20170110_213157.jpg

11-30-16 (2).jpg

11-30-16 (1).jpg

01-10-17.jpg

01-10-17(10).jpg

01-10-17(9).jpg

01-10-17(7).jpg

01-10-17(3).jpg

01-10-17(2).jpg

20170110_214124.jpg

Edited by TylerDurden389
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hey everyone. I've bought some new threads since my last update and wanted to share some pics for you all.

1. This jacket has a great color to it. I think it has a total 80's feel to it. However, it's a little big on me, and it's double-breasted (a big no-no for short men like myself). So TBH I'm not sure if I'm gonna keep it. The pants are actually pinstriped but it can be hard to tell.

2. I didn't buy these together,. I bought the pants a while back, and the jacket more recently. I can't see myself actually wearing these together, but I'll probably wear one or other other with solids. This is another one that I'm on the fence about keeping.

3. This sky blue jacket is a real gem, but again, a little big on me. Then again, one critique most have about Don's suit in "Prodigal son" was that his suit was too big, right? lol. The pants are a very thin gray or brown pinstripe.

4. Now THIS jacket is a real keeper. It's actually a boys jacket, and it fits me like a glove. It's a very light gray color. The yellow pants I actually bought at the store. Not sure if Don ever wore yellow pants on the show, but they fit well so I'm keeping 'em.

5. Bought these white slacks at the store the same day as the yellow ones. They're a slight off-white color, and are very light in material. Perfect for the beach.

6. More pinstripe pants. They're a light blue color.

That's all for now. TBH guys, as I continue my job hunt to try and transfer to Florida (my parents live about an hour or so drive from Miami, so I'm looking to get somewhere close to them. North or South, I'll be happy either way) I'm having second thoughts about keeping the majority of these clothes. Having visited them in both March and October, I've gotten a good idea of what the weather is like over there. The truth of the matter is it's basically beach weather 7-8 months out of the year. So I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be if I'm dressed to the 9's like that. The good thing is, I'm more than likely gonna end up getting a job transfer more northern florida, so that might help, but at the same time I never actually go outside like this. I take these pics just to show them off for you guys. I actually have a lot of grays, blacks, khakis, and jeans that I wear with these clothes. Shoes are black and brown as well.

Lately I've been thinking of getting a lot of pastel colored shorts and polo shirts and seeing if I can rock those with the blazers (no t-shirts as I don't wanna get sweat stains on the collars), but again, I'm not really sure what my next move is. I do know that the Vice look is still semi-popular in Florida, as all the dept. stores I've gone to while visiting my folks all have A LOT of Crockett colored clothes (It's almost like stepping back into the 80's, seriously, lol). So at leas I have that going for me.

Lastly, sorry for the shorter hair, but after 5-6 months my hair starts to annoy me and I take a buzzer to them (especially in the summer). I had just gotten my hair to Don's late season 2 style as well, though a bit longer on top.

5-9-17(2).jpg

5-9-17.jpg

08-14-17(2).jpg

08-14-17(3).jpg

08-14-17(4).jpg

08-14-17.jpg

Oh, and here's a few blazers I've been watching on ebay. Thought I'd get your opinions on them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Stylish-Mens-Coat-Casual-Two-Button-Blazer-Suit-Dress-Jacket-Tops-Sakko/122375333347?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=422857450306&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Men-Blazer-Jacket-Coat-Hot-Stylish-Mens-Coat-Casual-Two-Button-Suit-White-Blazer/122122517695?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=421799569091&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Edited by TylerDurden389
  • Like 2

The white blazer in the eBay link is a nice one.  Your combos all look good except the pin stripe.  It's a bit much even worn separately and no disrespect intended at all.

Edited by IA-SteveB

1 hour ago, IA-SteveB said:

The white blazer in the eBay link is a nice one.  Your combos all look good except the pin stripe.  It's a bit much even worn separately and no disrespect intended at all.

None taken. I figured those would be the first to go, lol. Truth is I only bought them because I heard wearing vertical stripes make you look taller. Plus I got the idea from these early promo pics. But I guess the reason we never saw Don in these threads was because they decided not to go with the pinstripe look. Even Don's hair is parted different.

miami-vice.jpg

Edited by TylerDurden389

Nice!  Agree that the double-breasted jacket(s) would probably be too warm in Miami unless maybe it was January or February!

ETA:  I like both jackets you're looking at on eBay, but the gray one looks a bit like a cable-knit sweater fused onto some kind of lining to give it shape.  Might be hot.  Most of Don Johnson's jackets on the show seem to have been pretty loose, rather than fitted as the white eBay jacket is.  In the small pics it looks great, but in the larger close-ups it seems to fit very closely and have more construction/fitting, which kind of takes away from the Vice look (for me).   Again I like both of them but don't necessarily think they're Vice-y-looking.

Edited by vicegirl85

I get what you mean vicegirl. I think the style right now in the year 2017 is blazers that fit more like a tight longsleeve t-shirt that just happens to have lapels, lol. My brother has one that fits that way and he almost NEVER gets dressed up for anything, lol.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TylerDurden389 said:

I get what you mean vicegirl. I think the style right now in the year 2017 is blazers that fit more like a tight longsleeve t-shirt that just happens to have lapels, lol. My brother has one that fits that way and he almost NEVER gets dressed up for anything, lol.

I agree with that.  Everything these days seems to be "slim fit."  I can wear that stuff but it doesn't have the light, loose and breezy feel of Miami Vice.  Last time I was looking at white linen pants and pastel henleys at Dillards I remarked that they would look good at dinner and my girlfriend said "Make sure you drop off any leftovers."  She's not a Vice fan at all. :) 

• Haha 3

On 8/15/2017 at 10:14 AM, jenny said:

I found some 1980's Vintage pastel earrings on Ebay!       You know the ones with the cool geometric shapes?

I'm going to order some pairs!:thumbsup:

Hope you post a few pics of yourself wearing them. 

• 10 months later...

Been a little quiet here lately, and since my move to Florida doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon (circumstances both in and out of my control), I figured I'd do a little more showing off, lol. Been working on a more realistic clothing collection for whenever I do manage to get down there. My plan is to wear short-sleeve polo shirts and shorts with just the blazers and slip-ons. The pants and longsleeves I'll save for the cooler nights. I'm basically done with my shorts, but I still gotta work on the shirts (and I do still wanna get a powder blue blazer that actually fits, as the one I was wearing in the picture here is long gone. As well as a bunch more that simply didn't fit right). Also, I wore this blazer to an 80's synth music party weekend a month and a half ago and everyone LOVED it. Only clothing not pictured here is a gray pair of shorts that have the same pattern as the shorts I'm wearing in pic 2. Or my authentic vintage Miami Vice t-shirt from 1984 that I got on ebay for 5 bucks (the original owner cut off the sleeves for whatever reason).

Pic 1 - I found a blazer on ebay with that same pattern as these shorts and I'm probably gonna get it despite it may being a bit too big for me (thanks to the user here who posted the link!!). The vest is a little bulky on me and I'll save that for the really hot days. The shoes were from H&M for only $12.99 online.

Pic 2 - Had this shirt for a while and it fits me perfectly. The shorts are a kind of darker blue but somehow I can picture Don wearing them in seasons 1 and 2.

Pic 3 - White shorts that I just got the other day. A little tight around the waist but I'm trying to get back into the habit of exercising on a semi-regular basis again. The blazer I got on ebay for $15 (I've posted pics before). It fits me perfectly, I love it to death and hate that I can't wear it in public without getting funny looks from people. You'd think here in Brooklyn with all the hipsters dressed like the grunge-era 90's with their oversized flannel shirts and ripped-at-the-knees jeans, that no one would criticize me, but alas....

Pic 4 - Teal shorts and light blue polo. Not as light in shade of blue as I'd like, but I got it with 4 other polos, all in my size for only 17 bucks on ebay.

Pic 5 - Yellow shorts from Old Navy. Great store to shop at during the summer for all your Crockett needs. The white tanktop I'm wearing is one of those 'bodybuilder' tanktops that have no back to them. It was gotting hot in my room doing all these wardrobe changes, lol.

Pic 6 - Light blue H&M shorts. Another great store for your Crockett style needs.

Pic 7 - Light purple shorts from Old Navy.

Pic 8 - Orange/Salmon color shorts from H&M.

My plan now is to get myself some polos of the same colors and mix and match (I already have a gray polo and plenty of white tees).

IMG_20180717_140740994.jpg

IMG_20180717_140931240.jpg

IMG_20180717_141051571.jpg

IMG_20180717_141335784.jpg

IMG_20180717_141524906_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180717_141614999_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180717_141659197_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180717_141804256_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2018 at 4:13 PM, TylerDurden389 said:

Been a little quiet here lately, and since my move to Florida doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon (circumstances both in and out of my control), I figured I'd do a little more showing off, lol. Been working on a more realistic clothing collection for whenever I do manage to get down there. My plan is to wear short-sleeve polo shirts and shorts with just the blazers and slip-ons. The pants and longsleeves I'll save for the cooler nights. I'm basically done with my shorts, but I still gotta work on the shirts (and I do still wanna get a powder blue blazer that actually fits, as the one I was wearing in the picture here is long gone. As well as a bunch more that simply didn't fit right). Also, I wore this blazer to an 80's synth music party weekend a month and a half ago and everyone LOVED it. Only clothing not pictured here is a gray pair of shorts that have the same pattern as the shorts I'm wearing in pic 2. Or my authentic vintage Miami Vice t-shirt from 1984 that I got on ebay for 5 bucks (the original owner cut off the sleeves for whatever reason).

Pic 1 - I found a blazer on ebay with that same pattern as these shorts and I'm probably gonna get it despite it may being a bit too big for me (thanks to the user here who posted the link!!). The vest is a little bulky on me and I'll save that for the really hot days. The shoes were from H&M for only $12.99 online.

Pic 2 - Had this shirt for a while and it fits me perfectly. The shorts are a kind of darker blue but somehow I can picture Don wearing them in seasons 1 and 2.

Pic 3 - White shorts that I just got the other day. A little tight around the waist but I'm trying to get back into the habit of exercising on a semi-regular basis again. The blazer I got on ebay for $15 (I've posted pics before). It fits me perfectly, I love it to death and hate that I can't wear it in public without getting funny looks from people. You'd think here in Brooklyn with all the hipsters dressed like the grunge-era 90's with their oversized flannel shirts and ripped-at-the-knees jeans, that no one would criticize me, but alas....

Pic 4 - Teal shorts and light blue polo. Not as light in shade of blue as I'd like, but I got it with 4 other polos, all in my size for only 17 bucks on ebay.

Pic 5 - Yellow shorts from Old Navy. Great store to shop at during the summer for all your Crockett needs. The white tanktop I'm wearing is one of those 'bodybuilder' tanktops that have no back to them. It was gotting hot in my room doing all these wardrobe changes, lol.

Pic 6 - Light blue H&M shorts. Another great store for your Crockett style needs.

Pic 7 - Light purple shorts from Old Navy.

Pic 8 - Orange/Salmon color shorts from H&M.

My plan now is to get myself some polos of the same colors and mix and match (I already have a gray polo and plenty of white tees).

IMG_20180717_140740994.jpg

IMG_20180717_140931240.jpg

IMG_20180717_141051571.jpg

IMG_20180717_141335784.jpg

IMG_20180717_141524906_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180717_141614999_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180717_141659197_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180717_141804256_HDR.jpg

...You're going to wear shorts with blazers?

I mean, to each his own, but this is something I personally would never do. I steer clear of shorts except for when I'm say, doing something on the beach, on an exceptionally hot day, or if I'm just too lazy to be bothered.

I just feel it looks a little tacky, but then me wearing the full Vice getup is probably pretty kitsch too. I don't really care, I wear what I want. I got over the fear of what people would think. I've received nothing but compliments and people saying I looked like Sonny Crockett, or mentioning Miami Vice. You can definitely wear long pants, like linen dress pants, in the hot summer once you get used to it. Linen is already a very breathable material and as long as they fit well and have a little extra room, you won't get too hot in them. I even wore the look in Florida and Miami. I enjoyed it very much and it was pretty comfortable. As long as you're not wearing jeans, you'll be fine.

Anyway, whatever works for you man! I love when people aren't afraid to stand out in the crowd or put their own twist on things. By the way, where did you get that blazer with the patterns on it, and what brand if you don't mind my asking?

10 hours ago, pmconroy said:

...You're going to wear shorts with blazers?

i first thought the same. but then after rewatching OP's postings, for me it clearly appears than you can basically wear anything since you love what you're wearing. just have a look at french (and non french) haute couture fashion shows. sometimes it's just like if they were homeless parading. i think in term of fashion there's no constraint. i know sometimes, when the weather is a bit grey i wear an upper tracksuit with a short. so why not a blazer with a short. what i like in OP's posting it's that he doesn't try to copy 80s fashion, but he also tries to add his own touch. i really like that

Edited by jpm1

I'd only wear the blazer with shorts on the cooler nights during summer. Rest of the year I will wear pants, lol. Probably should've mentioned that earlier. I have like 5-6 pairs of pants to match the style as well (check earlier in the thread). Still gotta get a few more pairs of shoes though.

Yes I do try to somewhat contemporize the style. I like to think I wanna dress in Tubbs' style with Crockett's colors. I got the jacket on eBay for $15 and it's as light as a T-shirt. I'll check the brand when I get home from work and get back to you on that.

Edited by TylerDurden389
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TylerDurden389 said:

I'd only wear the blazer with shorts on the cooler nights during summer. Rest of the year I will wear pants, lol. Probably should've mentioned that earlier. I have like 5-6 pairs of pants to match the style as well (check earlier in the thread). Still gotta get a few more pairs of shoes though.

Yes I do try to somewhat contemporize the style. I like to think I wanna dress in Tubbs' style with Crockett's colors. I got the jacket on eBay for $15 and it's as light as a T-shirt. I'll check the brand when I get home from work and get back to you on that.

I see. Tubbs has a very formal, old-fashioned style. Personally I like Crockett's more laidback, "IDGAF what you think" sort of style. As you can see from my avatar, I follow his manner of dress, in fact that photo is almost an exact copy of his outfit from when they arrive in New York in The Prodigal Son. (The pants are a lavender color, they might look blue in the lighting.) But Tubbs has awesome style too, I think it looks much more serious and businesslike.

Also yeah thanks for that, I like the jacket. It's nearly impossible to find any jacket with patterns like that.

• Like 1

The Brand is called "TECH by Hegstan" (made in the USA). I spend A LOT of time scouring ebay for rare stuff like this so who knows if there's any more floating around out there.

4 hours ago, TylerDurden389 said:

The Brand is called "TECH by Hegstan" (made in the USA). I spend A LOT of time scouring ebay for rare stuff like this so who knows if there's any more floating around out there.

Hm. Yeah it is very difficult to find. That’s why I wish I could make my own fashion line, there just seems to be no market for it.

What’s in style today is slim fit, solid, neutral colors unfortunately, when it comes to menswear. The kind of stuff we look for is just not being made.

• Like 3

On 7/29/2018 at 8:46 PM, pmconroy said:

I see. Tubbs has a very formal, old-fashioned style. Personally I like Crockett's more laidback, "IDGAF what you think" sort of style. As you can see from my avatar, I follow his manner of dress, in fact that photo is almost an exact copy of his outfit from when they arrive in New York in The Prodigal Son. (The pants are a lavender color, they might look blue in the lighting.) But Tubbs has awesome style too, I think it looks much more serious and businesslike.

Also yeah thanks for that, I like the jacket. It's nearly impossible to find any jacket with patterns like that.

Crockett fashion is very innovating. creating 2 such innovating fashions was very difficult to achieve. that's why Tubbs is wearing more classic 'sure value' clothes. but Tubbs fashion is totally fictional for Miami. it's impossible to wear these things in Miami

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/miami/florida/united-states/usfl0316/2018/1

45 minutes ago, jpm1 said:

Crockett fashion is very innovating. creating 2 such innovating fashions was very difficult to achieve. that's why Tubbs is wearing more classic 'sure value' clothes. but Tubbs fashion is totally fictional for Miami. it's impossible to wear these things in Miami

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/miami/florida/united-states/usfl0316/2018/1

Not in November - February when they did a lot of shooting jpm.

• 2 months later...

Sup everyone. A small update. Still no luck on transferring to Florida (I'm pretty much of the mindset of "If it happens, it happens" at this point) but I'm keeping my spirits up. I've gone to a few music shows in the past few weeks where they play the 80's inspired synth music that some of us here are already aware of. Despite everyone being dressed in all black, my Crockett look goes over with people really well. I ran into a few people that I've met before, as well as met some people I only know on Facebook who recognized me (Given my white contrast to the all black clothes everyone else wears at these shows, I certainly stood out, lol) who came up to introduce themselves, and even a few people I didn't know that complimented me on my look. So that was cool.

I recently got a new blazer that I figured I'd share with you guys. It's a little tight, so I gotta work on losing a few pounds, lol. Also, I recently realized that my giant tropical sunset poster makes a great backdrop and I could smack myself in the head for not using it a lot sooner for all the other pics I've taken here. The 2nd picture I took in the dark and did a close up to try and make it look like I'm actually there. Someday...someday.

IMG_20181025_180341498.jpg

IMG_20181025_180708620.jpg

Edited by TylerDurden389
  • Like 3