Episode 39 - Little Miss Dangerous

miamijimf

Posted: 07 February 2008 at 11:36pm by miamijimfHere’s a question for you location hunters. Reference the scene when Jackie gets picked up on Ocean Drive and then proceeds to kill the guy and set his car on fire. I know the car burning/explosion scene is filmed on a lot across from the Betsy Ross Hotel but where on Ocean Drive is she filmed when she is first picked up by the “John?†I am looking for the block and the names of the hotel or hotels across the street. I think I know the spot and am looking for confirmation. To see several screen captures of the scene go to: http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/562396782uZdTOJ?vhost=entertainment Thanks,

Posted: 08 February 2008 at 5:27am by Matt5I always thought it was just past the Winterhaven on 14th Street - one block from Betsy Ross. Some of the Hotels seen are then on the same block as Betsy Ross!

Posted: 08 February 2008 at 9:51am by miamijimfThanks Matt5, that's a likely area. Where exactly along that block do you think it was filmed?

Posted: 08 February 2008 at 12:31pm by Matt5Just past opposite the Winterhaven/14th St is pretty much where that scene starts , then walking along past some of the smaller hotels.

]Posted: 10 February 2008 at 12:13am by airtommyIn your screencap pdvd_005, one of the buildings on the left says "Apartment Hotel". Is there a number just below that? In screencap pdvd_013, it's possible we see this railing behind the car (Ocean Dr. just north of 14th): http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=33139&ie=UTF8&ll=25.785795,-80.1296&spn=0.000655,0.002065&t=h&z=19&om=0&layer=c&cbll=25.785459,-80.129722&cbp=1,265.12650279398923,,1,5.866477882817365

Posted: 10 February 2008 at 9:09am by Matt5airtommy - that railing seems to match up , even though the building seems to have been extensively remodelled- the white railing seems to have remained the same. This building with the railing is actually next to the Winterhaven Hotel , just North of 14th St which puts us exactly where we thought we were with LMD's walk/pick up

Posted: 11 February 2008 at 11:00am by miamijimfThanks for the help guys. I just noticed they probably shot the scene out of sequence and then edited it to look like it all happened during a continuous South to North walk. If you watch the DVD you first see Jackie walking North just past the crosswalk on 14th Street. Eingefügtes BildClick For Larger ImageNext you see the pick up car approaching Eingefügtes BildClick For Larger ImageIn this above shot you can see what I think is now the Ocean Plaza Hotel and the Hotel to the left. These small Hotels are half a block North of 14th (depicted below). Eingefügtes BildYet when the John propositions her right before she gets in the car you see the stone fence of the building back South, closer to the Winterhaven Hotel and 14th Street that airtommy pointed out.Eingefügtes BildClick For Larger ImageWhat do you think?

Posted: 17 February 2008 at 1:39am by airtommyThe Ocean Plaza and other hotel look like pretty good matches. They've changed the windows and doors, but the windows and doors still have the same basic structure and are in the same place. This should be confirmed in person, I think.

Posted: 17 February 2008 at 7:28am by DanJIf Jeremy doesn't beat me to the punch, I will see if I can take GE3 out for a spin next week for a look at this scene.

Posted: 17 February 2008 at 5:49pm Originally posted by DanJ If Jeremy doesn't beat me to the punch, I will see if I can take GE3 out for a spin next week for a look at this scene. Originally posted by miamijimfDanJ, If you can find the time that would be neat. Look forward to the pics. I'm pretty sure the scene was not filmed in sequence South to North as I described in my post. Do you have a Beatles haircut yet?

Posted: 18 February 2008 at 7:39pm by Richie RichOriginally posted by miamijimfDanJ, If you can find the time that would be neat. Look forward to the pics. I'm pretty sure the scene was not filmed in sequence South to North as I described in my post. Do you have a Beatles haircut yet? I think he already does. It just isn't the "'64 Ed Sullivan Show" version (and I have no idea if that is the version he needs). Eingefügtes Bild

• 7 months later...

Posted: 18 August 2008 at 11:57pm by miamijimfBelieve it or not one LMD filming location is still a mystery. It's the driving night scene which shows Cat on his bike following Sonny to the Safe House. I may have found it but a lot does not match up. See http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/565515333QfCVRm?vhost=entertainment for LMD and Streetview caps and a map of the possible location. On screen cap 000 you can see a sign for the Charda Restaurant (a unique name). There was a restaurant called the "Goulash Charda Hungarian" at 2215 N Federal HWY Hollywood. The name has changed to "Villa Pannonia" and still serves Hungarian food. GE and VE are inconclusive and the block looks different in the Google Streetview cap but the highway and streetlights could be a match. The LMD clip doesn't really give you a good look at the restaurant. I'm not the best with GE and VE and a lot could have changed. We have seen blocks reconstructed before. I know they didn't film very often in Hollywood. What do you think? Thanks in advance,

Posted: 19 August 2008 at 12:12am by airtommyThanks for the screencaps, that will help me. I notice a "Do Not Enter" sign below the Charda sign. That might indicate a one-way street, and there are no one-way streets in that area. Also, I would be surprised if they went all the way up to Hollywood to film that scene. They didn't go up there too often, unlike Burn Notice. Looks like this will be a fun mystery!

Posted: 19 August 2008 at 12:16am by airtommyGoogle gave me this lead: Charda Hungarian Restaurant 13885 Biscayne Blvd http://dine.com/p/dine/info.cgi?RID=36138That's very near the studio, which makes it a good candidate. I find no other evidence of this restaurant, so it is probably gone now. Also, I think I see a sign reading "Franco's Pizza". The only such place I can find is at ‏1014 NE 163rd St, but that doesn't look right at all on satellite.

Posted: 19 August 2008 at 12:20am by miamijimfairtommy, I found the Charda on Biscayne also but that area looks even less like the clip. Thanks

Posted: 19 August 2008 at 12:39am by airtommyOn closer inspection, the Charda Restaurant on Biscayne looks like our winner. Look at the high-rise on the SE corner of Biscayne & NE 135th. You can see this high-rise in your photo #004. It's a perfect match (pattern of windows, etc.). 1. Perfect match of background building 2. Charda Restaurant was there 3. Near the studio Case closed. Eingefügtes Bild

Posted: 19 August 2008 at 8:04am by miamijimfairtommy, Congrats, you have done it again! Once I get a current pic of the area I will have another entry for my web page.

Posted: 26 August 2008 at 10:50pm by miamijimfHere is a screen capture showing Cat doing a wheelie in front of the Charda Hungarian restaurant on Biscayne Blvd. following Sonny to the Safe House. Eingefügtes BildNext is a photo I took last Friday of the same location. Eingefügtes BildBiscayne has been widened and the entire area has changed drastically. If you look carefully you can see the striped awning for the KFC. The Charda was in front of the KFC as confirmed by the address and the memory of a local resident. The two cross streets in both shots are NE 139th St and Highlands Dr. Thanks to airtommy for finding the location and DanJ for on-site assistance. DanJ probably took a photo on Friday that captures the original photo shoot location more accurately. I plan to post the photos on my web page

• 1 month later...

If you're interested in the filming locations for the Little Miss Dangerous episode check out my web page. It has photos of the original locations as well as shots of what they look like now. It represents the work of numerous location sleuths over the past several years and features the music of Fiona Flanagan who played Jackie, the homicidal prostitute. Click Here

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

On 25 June Dan, my friend Frank, and I searched unsuccessfully for this wall in the LMD episode:Eingefügtes BildWe searched several alleys, especially the one between Espanola Way and 14th Street that Jeremy thinks was used in all the alley scenes. A lot of buildings have been renovated and all the alleys look alike. The best clue is this shot showing Sonny driving into the alley before he gets held up by Cat:Eingefügtes BildIt may be mission impossible but I have been amazed by how many "impossible to find sites" have been located by this crew. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I am close to finding all the filming locations for this episode and I hate to quit anything I start.Also Matt5 was interested in the rooftop scene where Cat jumps over a low wall before coming down the stairs. We found the building and the stairs some time ago but the rooftop is still a question mark. The best bet is of course the same building. Here are some shots that Dan took on top of that building: Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildThe low wall matches but in the scene you see a high wall in the background that I didn't see on the site or on VE or GE. Could it be reconstruction? I would guess it is the same rooftop.

• 2 months later...

DanJ, Richie, Sue, and I found a previously unidentified filming spot in LMD- where the Cop pulls up in the alley and allows Sonny to break away from Cat who has a knife in his back. (about 0:41:33) DanJ brought a screen cap of the spot and we found the building. This is the screen cap of the cop pulling up:Eingefügtes BildHere is DanJ's on site photo of the building taken Friday night.Eingefügtes BildThe Police Car was actually filmed in an alley named Ocean Court just North of 14th Street between Ocean Drive and Collins Ave. We were looking for where Sonny was put up against a wall. Most likely Sonny was put up against a wall in the same alley a little South and diagonally across from the Police Car's location. If this was the wall it no longer exists because, as Sue pointed out, the building was replaced by the Versace Miami Beach Mansion. This is uncertain because you never see Sonny and the Cop in the same shot.

That a nice find, Jim and I am sure very close to the part where Cat has the knife to Sonny's back in this alley.:)One Question , Jim you mention it was 14th St and Ocean Crt which would put it somewhere behind The Winterhaven - but you mention the knife scene could have been filmed South near the Versace Mansion alley on 11th St/Ocean Crt but mention it was diagonal to the police car?