French Twist

miamijimf

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 2:18pm by Scottishdevil20 Hi All, I recently purchased "French Twist" script off Ebay and thought some people would like to see the location contact list that came with it. Cheers Kevin in Scotland "French Twist location1" "French Twist location2" "French Twist location3" Posted: 30 August 2006 at 7:03pm by Tom71thx for posting the sheets! Posted: 30 August 2006 at 7:56pm by Matt5thanks very much ! so Danielles Hotel lobby from the opening teaser is the Mayfair House Hotel in Cocunut Grove. Seems a lot of interior scenes were filmed in Cocunut Grove including the interior party scene also. Great info! Posted: 31 August 2006 at 8:35am by airtommyOriginally posted by MATT5so Danielles Hotel lobby from the opening teaser is the Mayfair House Hotel in Cocunut Grove. The opening teaser was at a medical center. Posted: 02 September 2006 at 10:14pm by Matt5Yeah youre right - it was at the medical centre - I meant the opening scene after the credits when the plane lands at MIA it cuts to Don waiting for Danielle @ the hotel lobby- this must be the Mayfair House Hotel Cocunut Grove.Posted: 13 September 2006 at 5:42am by SOFLAJEREMYEingefügtes BildSafe House in French TwistEingefügtes BildSafe House locationPosted: 13 September 2006 by airtommyWhen Crockett drives Danielle from the hotel to the safehouse (around 7:09), I believe that he is on SW 15th Ave, he crosses S. Miami Ave, and then he turns right on Brickell. Eingefügtes BildThe clues were that he turns from one boulevard (greenery in median) to another, and that the second blvd changes its angle right at the intersection. When the scene opens, you can see in the distance the expressway rising up, and you can see some bright lights there. That must be the I-95 going over the river, but I don't know what the lights are (maybe a construction site). 13 September 2006 at 8:11am by airtommy Bandi was at one hotel but Tubbs found him, so Bandi moved to another hotel. I guess they just used the same hotel for filming his balcony scene (with Dinner Key Marina in the background). It's odd that they would use one real hotel to film two fictitous hotels for Bandi, but then they use two real hotels to film one fictitious hotel for Danielle. Maybe the location sheets are wrong. But the thing I don't get in the location sheets is "int. hotel bar". There was no such scene. Maybe it was something that didn't make the final cut? Also, I can't find the "Miami Medical Center" on Google Earth. I know it's the Bay Vista Campus of FIU, but I don't see any of those blue things. Maybe it has been redesigned? Posted: 14 September 2006 at 3:22am by SOFLAJEREMYi will go there soon and check it out, I have the exact address Posted: 14 September 2006 at 3:23am BY SOFLAJEREMY btw you are exactly right about the driving scene the daytona knew that route well in the first season Posted: 16 September 2006 at 10:30am BY mATT5also looking at the Brickell Intersection where Crockett turns into I am sure this part of Brickell was used in "Hit List" end driving scene. Also used in "Yankee Dollar" teaser Posted: 16 September 2006 at 11:04am BY Tom71@airtommy: I guess "Int. Hotel Bar" is referring to the first scene when Crockett meets Danielle. In the episode she is standing at the reception, but this location was in fact the hotel bar. What baffles me is that the safe house looks totally different than in the episode. But maybe the just shot the interior scenes there and the exterior shots at FIU. P.S. second possibility is in fact that scenes were cut. I found several scenes in the production sheets that never made it into the final cut. P.P.S. te most important location info is the production sheet of each day-they write the exact address on it-, not the location list. The location list was provided by the location manager (e.g.Maria Chavez) before the first shooting day of each episode, but sometimes they changed the locations shortly before shooting or they even had to determine the location (then there is the abbrev. "tbd"=to be decided on the location sheets)! Posted: 17 September 2006 at 6:21am by airtommyOriginally posted by tom71I guess "Int. Hotel Bar" is referring to the first scene when Crockett meets Danielle. In the episode she is standing at the reception, but this location was in fact the hotel bar.But the first location on the sheets is "Int. Coffee Shop Lobby/Atrium", the Mayfair House Hotel. That's where they filmed her checking in. The "Int. Hotel Bar" is at a completely different address (Cats at Mayfair 3390 Mary St.) It must be like you say - a place that the location scout planned to use but then the director didn't use it (or a cut scene). Originally posted by tom71What baffles me is that the safe house looks totally different than in the episode. But maybe the just shot the interior scenes there and the exterior shots at FIU.I didn't see the safe house from the outside in the episode. What point in the episode are you talking about? Posted: 17 September 2006 at 6:22am by airtommyOriginally posted by MATT5also looking at the Brickell Intersection where Crockett turns into I am sure this part of Brickell was used in "Hit List" end driving scene. Also used in "Yankee Dollar" teaserYeah, I was thinking it almost looked like stock MV footage. I haven't studied those two scenes in detail yet (I know you guys have discussed them), so I wasn't sure. [edit] Yup, Tubbs goes through this intersection southbound on Brickell. And Crockett goes through it southbound in Yankee Dollar. Looks like they added the left-turn lane on northbound Brickell at this intersection after MV was filmed. Posted: 17 September 2006 at 5:21pm by SOFLAJEREMYThe only exterior part of the safe house you see in the episode is the porch when she sneeks out. That is visible on the right side of the house as you look from the street as in the above photo. Posted: 17 September 2006 at 10:23pm by Tom71I meant the scene Soflajeremy mentioned. Another scene I first associated with the safe house was when she was shot at by Bandi from the roof-but that scene was not playing at the safe house.

Posted: 25 December 2006 at 7:15am by DanJThe final foot chase begins in Jose Marti Park, but moves to the SW 1st Street Bridge. Once on the bridge, the chase is eastbound and we see the bridge as in the picture below. My picture is daytime but the episode is nighttime. In the episode you can see the neon rainbow lights of the Metrorail overpass in the background. This is the evidence that the chase is due east at this point. Eingefügtes BildThen the drawbridge goes up and something funny happens - suddenly the chase is westbound (This is important to note if you're sussing out the location - if you let yourself believe that the whole scene is eastbound you will have a tough time matching things up.)! Tubbs manages to make it to the other side but Crockett lags behind and ends up climbing the bridge in an effort to keep up with the chase.Eingefügtes BildDanielle comes up some stairs toward Tubbs. She's holding a gun in the air but is hiding a second gun. These are the steps she comes up, which are on the northwest side of the bridge:Eingefügtes BildCrockett looks over the top of the drawbridge, sees that Tubbs is in imminent danger, and fires on Danielle. Now here's what I find amusing: How the heck did Crockett get from the east drawbridge, which is fully raised by the time he gets to the top, to the west drawbridge where he sees Tubbs and Danielle below? Is he Spider-Man or something? Also, he's one heck of a sharpshooter to hit Danielle with one shot while hanging from the top of that drawbridge! Furthermore, wouldn't the recoil from his gun tend to throw him backward and off the bridge?

Posted: 02 March 2007 at 10:18pm by airtommy I just noticed that the old MV group incorrectly identified the drawbridge in the final scene as the bridge to the Port Of Miami. linkPosted: 02 March 2007 at 10:25pm by Matt5Yeah they did youre right - of course the disused drawbridge just by the Port Bridge( no Port bridge in 1985) was seen at the location of the nite boat party in "The Dutch Oven" The open disused drawbridge was open pretty much to how its seen today Posted: 03 March 2007 at 11:13pm by airtommyOriginally posted by MATT5the disused drawbridge just by the Port Bridge( no Port bridge in 1985) was seen at the location of the nite boat party in "The Dutch Oven"Thanks, I was studying that scene recently, trying to determine the location. I saw the drawbridge and I was thinking 2nd Ave (near OCB), but that didn't seem right. I'll have to look at this again. Posted: 26 May 2007 at 1:26pm by DanJFirst a note: Jose Marti Park is referred to as Jackson Park by Bandi, where he schedules the final meet at 10:00pm.Now, direct from Location Trivia, a scene from this ep which someone here had been looking for for quite some time:Case No. DanJ#0011 Eingefügtes BildOriginally posted by AirtommyI recently spent some time trying to figure this out (About the 3rd time I tried over the past year). Heck, I couldn't even find our old discussion of this scene.This is the Commercial Bank building that we see behind Tubbs in "French Twist" as he races to the hospital to find Cindy who snuck out while he was babysitting.Third time's the charm, pal!This footage was recycled, and twice at that, within another episode. In "Deliver Us From Evil" as Tubbs once again heads out in search of someone. The first instance we only see the Cadi pull out of the parking lot. The second instance we see the full clip, with the Cadi racing down Biscayne Boulevard towards 123rd street.NOTE: In "French Twist" they cut off the very end of the scene, as the camera follows the Cadi down Biscayne Boulevard. In "Deliver Us..." we get to see a bit more of the scene, revealing what looks like a Chinese restaurant at the end of the scene on the left side of the screen.ANOTHER NOTE: Speaking of Chinese restaurants, there are two visible in this particular footage. The first one is behind the Cadi a second or so after it starts racing down Biscayne Boulevard - it's name today is Wong's!The second can be seen in the longer version of this scene in "Deliver Us.." and the most I can make of the sign is "Golden..." This establishment was located at between 123rd and 124th street on the east side of Biscayne Boulevard.The latter restaurant is not to be mistaken with a Chinese restaurant further down Biscayne Boulevard at 80th street, which I understand was the location of Howie Wong's restaurant and the spot of the final shootout in "Golden Triangle."Posted: 26 May 2007 at 7:37pm by airtommyFor the record: Rico turns from a parking lot (currently Boston Market) onto Biscayne Blvd between NE 125th St and NE 126th St. Now that I know where this scene is, I noticed a clue that we missed. You can just barely make out a very distinctive building that Jeremy once showed us in location trivia. It can be seen on the right near the end of the extended clip, but not at the very end because it fades out.

Posted: 23 January 2008 at 5:30am by SOFLAJEREMYcase 201 name the ep and scene where you see this:Eingefügtes BildPosted: 24 January 2008 at 3:43am by airtommyOriginally posted by SOFLAJEREMYOriginally posted by FerrarimanCase 201 Another guess here. The first scene that comes to mind is the hospital room where Cindy's boyfriend was yelling to her from in "French Twist" just before Bandi takes a shot at her. YES this is also the exact wall that bandi rapells down after shooting. Posted: 25 October 2007 at 3:11am by SOFLAJEREMYcase 180 name the episode and scene where we see....80 points Eingefügtes BildPosted: 25 October 2007 at 7:51am by Tom71180 Villa Viscaya where thy shot the opening scenes in French Twist.

Posted: 18 July 2007 at 5:59am by airtommyCase 153 - Opening scene of French Twist - girl accidentally photographs a murder Eingefügtes BildI didn't recognize it visually. The first pic showed that it was elevated one or two stories off the ground, but the second pic showed it was a walkway, not a roof. That spurred me to think about a multilevel outdoor facility, and this scene came to mind. http://miamivice.info/screenshots/french01.jpgEingefügtes BildPosted: 13 September 2006 at 3:20am by SOFLAJEREMY
in the "French Twist" pic it has Rm 448 "Moon Suite" that must have been Danielles Hotel Room Number? The Mayfair @ Cocunut Grove and "A Hammock at Mayfair" are they in the same building as Ive got different addresses for both?. The French Twist Script location report came up in another post and it seems the early scene where DJ waits for Danielles character at the hotel that lobby scene was also the Mayfair Hotel @ Cocunut Grove i believe.[/quote Posted: 13 September 2006 at 3:16am by SOFLAJEREMY
in the "French Twist" pic it has Rm 448 "Moon Suite" that must have been Danielles Hotel Room Number? The Mayfair @ Cocunut Grove. Yes that was her room but it is moonglow suite room 448and a couple of extra pics of the mayfair Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildSadly I have to report that the mayfair inn has been closed to turn it into condos.

• 2 years later...

I have just published this episode on my location site. http://www.sffl.comcastbiz.net

Great work SoflaJeremy! :DThe Mayfair was highlighted a lot in this episode - I also really liked how they used Villa Regina too as Crockett's Marina - the only time in the series.

Great work SoflaJeremy! :DThe Mayfair was highlighted a lot in this episode - I also really liked how they used Villa Regina too as Crockett's Marina - the only time in the series.
Thank you' date=' it is great to get feedback letting me know what you think. This ep. is interesting one for me, my opinion of it has changed over time but the one thing that has not changed is that I never really liked the Danielle character. I kinda feel the Villa Regina Marina was symbolic of the change in the series between the first two seasons and the rest.[/color']

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I was trying to figure out where Tubbs meets the valet (while Bandi is on the phone with the Vice squad).

vlcsnap_2015_02_14_19h13m28s178.png

I looked all around Coconut Grove but kept striking out.  Then I suddenly thought - Hey, what about Brickell where they filmed the marina scenes in this ep?  Bingo!  It's Villa Regina at 1581 Brickell Avenue.  I see many references to Villa Regina being designed by Arquitectonica, but I don't find this building on their website so I'm not 100% sure if they did.

valet_area.jpg

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

In the hospital scene filmed at FIU, Bandi rappels down a wall after the attempted assassination.  I couldn't understand why this location was so hard to find, until I realized that they reversed the film!  He scales down the backside of the same stairway where the main action takes place.

vlcsnap_2015_02_14_19h25m14s70.png

vlcsnap_2015_02_14_19h25m25s102.png

Picture_2.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 7/2/2011 at 12:04 PM, C Glide said:

Then it cuts again to the outside of the car and we see they are westbound on the MacArthur Causeway from Watson Island headed toward mainland Miami.  However there is something wrong with this picture. As the camera follows the car we see the Coppertone sign in the background. We should be looking north but the Parkleigh House at 530 Biscayne Blvd., where the Coppertone sign was located is south of MacArthur Causeway. I have yet to figure this shot out. Perhaps it was both flipped and reversed.

(when Crockett drives Danielle from the hotel)

French_Twist6.png

• pink = Everglades Hotel (244 Biscayne Blvd)
  • blue = Coppertone sign (530 Biscayne Blvd)

The simplest explanation is that they were driving eastbound instead of westbound.  They are going away from mainland Miami toward Watson Island.  In that scenario, as the camera pans left it would point directly at downtown Miami. 

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, airtommy said:

French_Twist6.png

The simplest explanation is that they were driving eastbound instead of westbound.  They are going away from mainland Miami toward Watson Island.  In that scenario, as the camera pans left it would point directly at downtown Miami. 

Great scene - seems to make sense also :D

• 9 months later...
On 10/04/2016 at 6:17 AM, airtommy said:

French_Twist6.png

I looked at this location this Evening on the Macarthur Cswy tonite in Miami - the view from the Cswy from same angle in Cswy :done:

I have to go with this angle as I wasn't going to stand in the middle of a busy Causeway !! But Crockett drove over the centre of the bridge heading to Miami Beach just before hitting Watson Island

IMG_0690.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0714.PNG

IMG_0688.JPG

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...
59 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

The Mayfair Hotel in Coconut Grove - featured extensively in this Season 2 episode at Halloween a week or so ago. :hippie::dance2:

28B0166F-52D5-4C7B-BDA3-59CC32305207.jpeg

“How nice for you” :p:) 

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...

I visited this location last year, here are some photos - Bandi Rooftop (Mayfair Hotel rooftop, Coconut Grove).:hippie:

ABA0A790-EE2C-4B42-9766-8E949824C019.jpeg

AB92B8BC-F702-4541-BFF0-5F42F5A46F99.jpeg

683263F4-6943-4994-A7D7-C1819331DC4F.jpeg

• Like 5

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...

The opening credit “French Twist” shot was filmed from the Montparnasse Tower looking NW to the city. This was and is a famous panoramic viewpoint in Paris. The first picture is from Miami Vice.

08BE26AD-A62F-45F0-8899-5AEC92FEB7B6.jpeg

B2975F0D-6566-4E82-9E25-1F0B858CA181.jpeg

133C1DC4-A49F-4C6D-99F7-1146ECFAC3F6.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 4

• 4 months later...

The call filmed on the roof of the Mayfair Hotel in Coconut Grove featured heavily in this episode and 1989s “Jack of all Trades”.:cheers:

5CBED002-8071-4201-9111-BA6B8514AB70.jpeg

8E846AC2-B07A-48DC-AAC3-448B64D2FEDC.png

79394E34-9970-495D-B560-7092288E16C6.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...

A different perspective on the Villa Regina small marina we see for the only time in this February 1986 episode directed by Dick Miller.
Affording great views to The Palace Condominium next door (“Rites of Passage”, End credit montages), as well as the Port of Miami and Rickenbacker Causeway.

I was lucky to visit this small marina on the ground in 2014 and 2017 located at 1581 Brickell Avenue.

3A0B6C83-EC2E-43EE-B8D6-A4254BF5FB1B.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

I'm confused by this location listed at the Miami Vice Wiki:

• Cats at Mayfair, 3390 Mary Street, Coconut Grove (Bar scenes in hotel)

Is there a bar scene in this episode?

=====================================

We don't know where Bandi slipped out the back door, do we?  Most likely it was here on Florida Ave but this area has changed so much it'll be tough to confirm it.

Bandi.png.43caf9799e2f0c3f9b19adf90a6469f7.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1