French Twist

miamijimf

vor 12 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

We don't know where Bandi slipped out the back door, do we?  Most likely it was here on Florida Ave but this area has changed so much it'll be tough to confirm it.

Bandi.png.43caf9799e2f0c3f9b19adf90a6469f7.png

That was the delivery entrance on the rear of the Mayfair (Florida Ave side, but on the N/W part of the block where the Mayfair Hotel guest entrance is). See below. Not the one that you linked to on the N/E part of the block, as it has no thick column left of the where Bandi steps out.

The reddish tile pavement with significant darker tile pattern and the greenish (typical Mayfair color, like on the Grand Ave side) THICK column on the left are strong indicators. In the scene Bandi walks to the right and a car is passing by in front if that big delivery ramp. The greenish column is gone and they have applied ornaments around that delivery entrance that were not there in 1986. Also the two doors close to the street are gone.

Focusing on items that are impossible to change over time: this is the only entrance that size that fits on the whole Mayfair block (the only one with thick column on the left of Bandi) and the Villa Regina where they filmed the font entrance has no possibility of passing cars as is too far away from the street. And: The sewer location fits too with the one below! (on your other similar entrance there is NO sewer in the middle of the entrance)

Bildschirmfoto 2023-02-23 um 17.00.24.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-02-23 um 16.52.56.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tom said:

That was the delivery entrance on the rear of the Mayfair (Florida Ave side, but on the N/W part of the block). See below. Not the one that you linked to on the N/E part of the block, as it has no thick column left of the where Bandi steps out.

The reddish tile floor and the greenish THICK column on the left are strong indicators. In the scene Bandi walks to the right and a car is passing by in front if that big delivery ramp. The greenish column is gone and they have applied ornaments around that delivery entrance that were not there in 1986. Also the two doors close to the street are gone.

Focusing on items that are impossible to change over time. This is the only entrance that size that fits on the whole Mayfair block (the only one with thick column on the left of Bandi) and the Villa Regina where they filmed the font entrance has no possibility of passing cars as is too far away from the street.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-02-23 um 16.52.56.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-02-23 um 17.00.24.png

@airtommy AN EDEWCATEDD GHESS I TRHIED TO WAHN YOU! :) :) :) 

11 minutes ago, Tom said:

You had too many views of the Alien episode I suppose? :p

Just trying to do as bad as Lisa Eichhorn with my French accent quoting her lines, and to be not funny. 

I think I’m nailing it on both! :) 

I really enjoy what you guys do, but I probably shouldn’t post :) 

Edited by Dadrian

Am 23.2.2023 um 17:22 schrieb Dadrian:

Just trying to do as bad as Lisa Eichhorn with my French accent quoting her lines, and to be not funny. 

I think I’m nailing it on both! :) 

I really enjoy what you guys do, but I probably shouldn’t post :) 

Thank you Dadrian. You sparked some interesting thoughts. I just found out for myself the only way they could have topped Missing hours was if Lisa Eichhorn starred instead of James Brown! :dance2:

And then I started asking myself whether Will Smith really slapped Chris Rock last year at the Oscars about the comment about his wife’s haircut or simply for doing that episode. Rock is even more annoying in it than the Aliens :)

• Haha 1

• 10 months later...

The opening scene of a supposed "Miami Medical Center" is in fact the HVAC/Energy Management, Central Utilities, Custodial Services and Loading Dock entrance to the Academic One Building (Arts & Sciences) at Florida International University's Biscayne Bay Campus. (That's the building labeled "AC1" on this official FIU Biscayne Bay Campus map.)

Here are a couple of screenshots from the show, first of all:

image.thumb.png.285f966bcfef7b40598091559783bd0c.png

image.thumb.png.780ff4f51354a7908b5ea62687cd9f2a.png

And here are a couple of screenshots via Google Streetview showing the same location in 2021 with as close as I could manage to the same framing:

image.thumb.png.b03b4618aa689c835d1e857b0ba21a44.png

image.thumb.png.6b267bed26494841ec6cf537dfb57f53.png

Edited by gweilo8888
Added a link to the location in Streetview.
  • Like 2

vor 49 Minuten schrieb gweilo8888:

The opening scene of a supposed "Miami Medical Center" is in fact the HVAC/Energy Management, Central Utilities, Custodial Services and Loading Dock entrance to the Academic One Building (Arts & Sciences) at Florida International University's Biscayne Bay Campus. (That's the building labeled "AC1" on this official FIU Biscayne Bay Campus map.)

Here are a couple of screenshots from the show, first of all:

image.thumb.png.285f966bcfef7b40598091559783bd0c.png

image.thumb.png.780ff4f51354a7908b5ea62687cd9f2a.png

And here are a couple of screenshots via Google Streetview showing the same location in 2021 with as close as I could manage to the same framing:

image.thumb.png.b03b4618aa689c835d1e857b0ba21a44.png

image.thumb.png.6b267bed26494841ec6cf537dfb57f53.png

Thanks for the pics. This location has been known to us for many years, please check CGlide´s website for this episode http://www.miamivicelocations2.org/page28.html and for all locations  and episodes http://www.miamivicelocations.org/index.html (the site has not been updated in years and we have found 120+ locations in the meantime, with only a hand full left unknown).

Apologies, I did look through the thread prior to posting and found no mention of that location other than "I know it's the Bay Vista Campus of FIU, but I don't see any of those blue things. Maybe it has been redesigned?" in the first post. I'll try to be better about not duplicating already-known info in future though.

I didn't look around other sites, though, nor have I actually heard of that one before. (I usually prefer to do my own location finding as I enjoy the challenge, and just shared the info as I didn't see it already mentioned here.)

As an aside, the Mayfair Hotel was an incredibly cool location and would've been almost brand-new at the time as it opened in 1985. Miami Vice seems to have been one of the few sources to record the original wooden structures over the fountain area, too, as I could only find one other photo showing these which have long ago been removed.

vor 39 Minuten schrieb gweilo8888:

Apologies, I did look through the thread prior to posting and found no mention of that location other than "I know it's the Bay Vista Campus of FIU, but I don't see any of those blue things. Maybe it has been redesigned?" in the first post. I'll try to be better about not duplicating already-known info in future though.

I didn't look around other sites, though, nor have I actually heard of that one before. (I usually prefer to do my own location finding as I enjoy the challenge, and just shared the info as I didn't see it already mentioned here.)

As an aside, the Mayfair Hotel was an incredibly cool location and would've been almost brand-new at the time as it opened in 1985. Miami Vice seems to have been one of the few sources to record the original wooden structures over the fountain area, too, as I could only find one other photo showing these which have long ago been removed.

No problem, welcome to the site and we all share the same hobby here with me probably being the biggest location maniac here!

You should have been here the last 4 years when we found most unknown locations during the pandemic and after. Here is a link to the complete list what we have found since 2021. For older locations the miamivicelocations.org site is almost complete. Please check out the pinned threads in the location section here for reference. Each episode has its own location thread. Only 6 locations left overall out of 1000+ in the whole series. 

I also posted lots of original production notes from several episodes where all locations are listed.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1