Favorite movie scenes

ArtieRollins

What are your favorite movies scenes? You know the ones which seems to have that little extra touch or magic if one might call it, that you always look forward to re-watch, even if one have seen it a 100 times before or more. 

There are a certain films that not only comes with one great movie scene, but has several throughout the entire run. Which is quite amazing, and very often I find myself having a tough time chosing one over another. 

I am at the time going through most of John Candys films and tonight I thought about watching his finest hour, the classic Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987), and at last for me, here we have a fine example of a film that is so packed with memorable and good scenes, that I kind of hope the rumored 3 hour version never sees the day, as it probably would be a letdown. Anyway, most people (or it seems like that these days) will either know some of the films more famous scenes through "referances" and tributes within Family Guy or Ted 2 or because of the "unofficial" remake very bad ripoff (a rather shitty one too) Due Date (2010). 

But the one I find the most touching and funny at the same time happens about halfway through, (after which Del has literally set fire on their rent car and the already upset Neal who is not very happy about their situation) so without no money (or not much) they end up at a sleazy motel the El Rancho, managed by no other than Izzy Moreno (Martin Ferrero). Neal gets a room but Del is left behind as he cannot "bribe" himself inside with a cheap casio and ends up staying the night inside the burnt out rent car outdoor, were he begins to talk to himself and how he always screws things up when it comes to making friends etc. A guilty Neal ends up letting him inside, and not long after they are having a great blast as they are chatting up as old school buddies (after several tequila shots or more) about their wifes and life in general.

Anyway, a truly fantastic scene or scenes that always puts a big smile on my face because it seems so natural, and from what I understand it was all improvised by Steve Martin and John Candy, which make it even better. 

Edited by ArtieRollins

I don't know why but the first thing came to mind was a scene in Octopussy, Bond is playing high stakes Backgammon with the villain "Kamal Khan". We've already scene Khan beating another guy presumably with loaded dice, In the Bond's game he needs a double Six to win, so he asks if he can use Khan's "lucky dice", he rolls the without even looking at it, "it's all in the wrist... double sixes…fancy that..;)". One of the coolest scenes ever,

Bad guys cheating at gambling is just cool, whether it's Backgammon or Golf and Card games like Goldfinger.

"I'll send you a love letter straight from my heart, fucker!"

Blue Velvet (1986) by David Lynch

What a scene and what a film. Absolutely one of the most truly frightening and sadistic movie characters ever portrayed on the big screen, brilliantly done so by Dennis Hopper. The use of the great Roy "The Big O" Orbison and his classic "Candy Colored Clown" In Dreams as Frank Booths "theme" song, will probably stay on forever as my favorite all time David Lynch moment. Movie magic at its finest. 

• Like 1

"Have you ever retired a human by mistake?" 

Not sure what to think of the "new" Blade Runner movie, as I am not very pleased with the fact that it will have Ryan Gosling in the leading role, but the one thing that worries me the most, is that the new picture will end up lacking the great atmosphere of the original.

Of all the magical scenes in Blade Runner, there is one part that still looks breathtakingly beautiful, and that is when Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford) first meets up with the stunning Rachel (Sean Young) at the Tyrell Corporation headquarters, "More human, than human".

The lightening, the details, Vangelis score and of course Rachel is pretty much as close to perfection as I think Ridley Scott ever came in any of his films.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 11:54 AM, ArtieRollins said:

"Have you ever retired a human by mistake?" 

Not sure what to think of the "new" Blade Runner movie, as I am not very pleased with the fact that it will have Ryan Gosling in the leading role, but the one thing that worries me the most, is that the new picture will end up lacking the great atmosphere of the original.

Of all the magical scenes in Blade Runner, there is one part that still looks breathtakingly beautiful, and that is when Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford) first meets up with the stunning Rachel (Sean Young) at the Tyrell Corporation headquarters, "More human, than human".

The lightening, the details, Vangelis score and of course Rachel is pretty much as close to perfection as I think Ridley Scott ever came in any of his films.

Well said ... I couldn't agree more.

I like Gosling as an actor but I am NOT excited about a remake. This movie is almost perfect the way it is and needs no remake to tell the tale.

The same thing happened with Total Recall as the original was good for it's time but the new one blew chunks! Why does Hollywood waste their time and money? Ridley Scott made perfection. How can you top it?

• 2 weeks later...

Lost Highway The Mystery Man's first appearance

The scene is perhaps one of the creepiest scenes in Lynch's filmography and in the film. Blake himself came up with the Kabuki-styled make-up and look for the Mystery Man according to some online interviews I read. The double laugh is particularly chilling coupled with how the background noises and music changes as the Mystery Man walks up.

• 6 months later...

My favorite movie has to be Training Day!  I can watch this one over and over again!

"Its not what you know, it's what you can prove" 

Quote by Detective Alonzo Harris played by Denzel Washington.

20170801_071923.png

• Like 1

For me the first thing I think of is the training montage from the first Rocky film.  Seeing an out of shape Rocky push himself day after day to be the best reminds me of my high school days on the track team. I know the pains that one gets in the gut that first day.  I still can hear my coach saying, "no pain, no gain" to keep us motivated. By the time he runs to the song "Gonna Fly Now" my heart is pounding with excitement. When he runs up the stairs of the Philadelphia museum and throws his arms up knowing he is ready for the big fight I am cheering. Since my accident last September whenever I go to rehab I keep thinking of Rocky to help push my body to get better. 

• Like 1

The coffee chat in Heat is one of the best scenes in a movie in my opinion.

Two men at each end of the table, and that's how it is in their lives.. they do what they do. Both secretly have mutual respect for each other but when it comes to boiling point they exactly have to do what they do.  "Brother you are going down."  "There's a flip side to that coin" 

• Like 1

"Goldfinger" was on TV again and it's one of those magical films man. There's literally tons of great scenes in it, they even managed to make a rivetting scene out of the one of the most boring sports imaginable, where Bond and Goldfinger play Golf. Then Oddjob, Goldfinger's trusty mute sidekick decapitates a statue with his hat outside the golfclub to intimidate Bond. "What will owners say about that?" "Oh nothing Mr Bond....I own the club". Every interaction between Bond and Goldfinger is perfection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65nNcNiwJHM

Edited by Vincent Hanna

I know a lot of people will roll their eyes at this movie mention, but Pacino's "Scarface" has some great moments in it...and not every one is a bloody one.

A touching scene is when Tony goes to see his mother after he has made some moves and is on his way. The way she cuts him down is intense. I mean, you have this tough guy getting destroyed by his mom. At the same time, he is trying to look out for his mom and Gina. I always thought that the emotions from all three characters in that scene added depth to Tony's character. 

A good suspenseful scene is when Tony and Omar go to Bolivia to meet Sosa. The suspense is strong in this scene, both before and after Omar's "experience." You realize how gutsy Tony is in this scene.

I could go on with scenes that are memorable, and we all have one liners from this movie, but those are two that are memorable in my estimation.

• Like 4

My favourite movie scene lately is from "For a Few Dollars More". It's hard to do this justice but i'll do my best describing it. 

Clint Eastwood (Monco) and Lee Van Cleef (Colonel Mortimer) play bounter hunters who team up to take on a gang led by "Indio". Throughout the movie we see Indio with a musical pocket watch which, when forcing people to duel him uses the chimes to signify when to draw their guns. In a flashback we see that he had stolen the watch from a young woman after he murders her husband and tries to rape her but she kills herself first.

So basically Eastwood and Cleef infiltrate Indio's gang, they all rob a bank together and they hide out in some small town. Eastwood and Cleef get found out and a shootout in the town ensues.

Sorry for all that build up but it's necessary:D

At the end, Indio shoots Mortimer's gun out of his hand and forces him to duel whilst his gun is lying on the ground. Knowing full well he's going to win he lifts the pocket watch up and says "When the chimes end, try and shoot me Colonel...Just try".

You hear Ennio Morricone's amazing score and just as the chimes end you hear another music box start up offscreen that Clint is holding. There's a shot of Cleef patting himself as if he's looking for something missing. We realise it's Mortimer's Watch, which being identical to the other one tells us he knew the girl who Indio had killed. "Mighty careless of you old man".

Clint whilst pointing his rifle at Indio gives his gun belt to Mortimer and says "Now.. we start". The epic music builds up as Mortimer and Indio have a fair duel, Indio with a tear running down his cheek senses the inevitable and Mortimer's out draws and kills Indio, finally getting revenge for his dead sister.

"Boy, you've become rich"

"We've become rich old man"

"No the money's for you, you earned it"

"What about your partnership"

*the colonel smiles* "Maybe next time"

Then the Colonel rides off into the pink sunset as Clint rides off in the opposite direction with a wagon full of dead bodies to trade in for the bounties.

THE END!

If you haven't seen it I wholehearted reccommend you do because it's magical.

• Like 1

"Johnny Fontaine never gets that movie, It's perfect for him, it'll make him a big star but I'm going to run him out of the business and let me tell you why. We had a young protege in training, acting lessons, singing lessons, dancing lessons. We spent hundreds of thousands of dollars, I was gonna make her a big star. And let me be even more frank, just so you know I'm not a hard-hearted guy and it's all dollars and cents. She was beautiful, she was young, she was innocent, she was the greatest piece of *** I've ever had and i've had em all over the world. Then comes Johnny Fontaine with his olive oil voice and guinea charm and she runs off. She threw it all away just to make me look ridiculous, and a man in my position can not afford to be made to look ridiculous."

Mr Woltz is a cool dude. "I don't care how many dago wop goombahs come out of the woodwork" "I'm german-Irish" "Alright my Mick-Kraut friend"

29 minutes ago, Remington said:

Every scene in The Godfather and Scarface is iconic.

When he's buying a new car and Tony hits his nose on the pipe.

"Oh, god man!" :)

• Like 1

Scarface and The Godfather are among the greatest films ever made. The Godfather Part II in all honesty probably is the best film ever made. 

I love the scene in Sosa's Bolivian estate. Classic "I think you speak from the heart, Montana, but I say to myself, this Lopez, your boss, he had chivatos like that working for him. His judgment stinks. So I think to myself, how many other mistakes has this Lopez guy made? How can I trust his organistation. You tell me"

The Godfather is loaded with classic scenes. The baptism sequence is one. I especially love Joe Spinell as hitman Willi Cicci. It's badass when he shoots the old don through the revolving door. He has a murderous and psychopathic look on his face when he shoots him. Can see why the Corleones were #1. They had Maniac for a hitman.

• Like 2

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Vincent Hanna said:

"Johnny Fontaine never gets that movie, It's perfect for him, it'll make him a big star but I'm going to run him out of the business and let me tell you why. We had a young protege in training, acting lessons, singing lessons, dancing lessons. We spent hundreds of thousands of dollars, I was gonna make her a big star. And let me be even more frank, just so you know I'm not a hard-hearted guy and it's all dollars and cents. She was beautiful, she was young, she was innocent, she was the greatest piece of *** I've ever had and i've had em all over the world. Then comes Johnny Fontaine with his olive oil voice and guinea charm and she runs off. She threw it all away just to make me look ridiculous, and a man in my position can not afford to be made to look ridiculous."

Mr Woltz is a cool dude. "I don't care how many dago wop goombahs come out of the woodwork" "I'm german-Irish" "Alright my Mick-Kraut friend"

Great lines! :D

• Administrators
On August 3, 2017 at 0:33 AM, Detective_Crockett said:

The coffee chat in Heat is one of the best scenes in a movie in my opinion.

Two men at each end of the table, and that's how it is in their lives.. they do what they do. Both secretly have mutual respect for each other but when it comes to boiling point they exactly have to do what they do.  "Brother you are going down."  "There's a flip side to that coin" 

Absolutely one of my favorites. 

• Administrators
On January 11, 2017 at 8:10 PM, Vincent Hanna said:

I don't know why but the first thing came to mind was a scene in Octopussy, Bond is playing high stakes Backgammon with the villain "Kamal Khan". We've already scene Khan beating another guy presumably with loaded dice, In the Bond's game he needs a double Six to win, so he asks if he can use Khan's "lucky dice", he rolls the without even looking at it, "it's all in the wrist... double sixes…fancy that..;)". One of the coolest scenes ever,

Bad guys cheating at gambling is just cool, whether it's Backgammon or Golf and Card games like Goldfinger.

I was 9 in 83 when Octopussy came out. Roger Moore was the Bond I grew up with. Octopussy is one of my most favorite movies. I remember watching that scene and thought it was so cool how he never even looked at the dice.  Although Moore's Bond was considered over the top by many because of all the gadgets, I always though he was the most "suave" of all them.

• Like 1