Real black and tan Daytona Spyder for sale

Daytona74

If you're a die hard Vice fan and money is no object, and if your friends would turn up their noses at you driving a measly kit car, here's just the thing for you: :)

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=233704529

Ferrari 365 GTS/4 Daytona Spyder 651,995 €

$_20.jpg

$_20.jpg

$_20.jpg

• One family ownership for forty-two years (1972-2015)
  • Delivered new to Nevada USA, stayed in California from 1972
  • Beautifully repainted in 2014, new exhaust fitted and serviced
  • Matching numbers; no accident history
  • All tools and original books included

Our Ferrari 365 GTS/4 Daytona Spyder has an exceptional history having been in California its entire life with just two loving owners. The first owner, a resident of North Hollywood purchased the Daytona on 31st July 1971, its second owner bought the car in Los Angeles on the 10th November 1972 with just 2,800 miles on the clock. He kept the car until his death at which point is son inherited it. In 2014, he sold the car after Finishing Touch in Arizona did a complete re-spray, fitted a new exhaust system and carried out a mechanical service.

In 1980, the car was converted to a Spyder by Richard Straman, known for his high-quality conversion and changed it from its original colour scheme of Dark Red with Red interior to its current beautiful combination of Nero with Tan hide.

The Daytona Spyder is complete with books, original warranty card, tools and many photos of the of the car, before, during and after its conversion. The coachwork is impressively straight, displaying the correct gaps and the Nero paintwork is excellent overall, it is truly stunning.

Inside the car is equally as impressive, with a fabulous Tan hide and correct, retractable sun visors unique to the Daytona Spyder. The presentation of the engine compartment is consistent with that of a well-maintained, original example. Importantly, the original fibreglass fender liners, Dinoplex ignition boxes and air pump are present which are almost always missing!
The current indicated mileage of 30,000 is believed to be genuine.

This is an incredible opportunity to acquire an attractive and extremely straight Daytona Spyder conversion, with known history and very few owners. The Ferrari 365 GTS/4 Daytona Spyder for sale at DD Classics has spent virtually its entire life in the warm climate of Southern California and is a matching numbers example with no accident history. Complete with tools and complete set of books that includes the original leather pouch, guarantee booklet (filled out with the first owner’s information), owners manual and parts book. There is also some documentation, including a copy of the purchase invoice from 1972, photos of the car dating back to the 1970’s and some correspondence describing the cars history.

This Ferrari is available for viewing at the DD Classics Dealership in London, please call for more information.

• Like 2

die hard Vice fan :done:

money is no object :checkbox:

your friends would turn up their noses at you driving a measly kit car :done:

How does that Meatloaf song go again? :) 

It's interesting that this car was changed to black and tan and turned into a convertible in 1980, long before any kind of Miami Vice hype... 

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Dadrian:

How does that Meatloaf song go again? :) 

I don't know... which one? Rock and Roll Dreams Come True? :)

Edited by Daytona74

I never quite understood a detail regarding the Daytona headlights.

Some Daytona models seem to have retractable headlights:

1972-Ferrari-365-GTB-4-Daytona_10_zpsvlw

1972-Ferrari-365-GTB-4-Daytona_11_zpspvg

On the other hand, other models, don't.

1973-Ferrari-365-GTS-4-Daytona-Spyder-fr

I was nearly sure that at least on some episode or other of Miami Vice, there were relief marks on Crockett's Daytona hood that would suggest (even though it's a fake Ferrari) the headlights were of the retractable kind. Just like this one below, which I believe it was a real Ferrari, used on "One Way Ticket":

036-one%20way%20ticketmill%20creek%20bd_

Well, I searched the BluRays all around, but I couldn't find anywhere, in any episode, relief marks on Crockett's Daytona hood that would suggest the headlights were retractable. I must have dreamed it...

Anyway, it's funny how there were changes regarding the headlights on the show:

Transparent headlight cover:

004-calderones%20returnmill%20creek%20bd

No headlight cover (last half of "Little Prince" and "Milk Run" -- this image comes from "Milk Run"):

012-milk%20runmill%20creek%20bd_21.18_no

Dark headlight cover

034-definitely%20miamimill%20creek%20bd_

045-when%20irish%20eyes%20are%20cryingmi

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

I don't know... which one? Rock and Roll Dreams Come True? :)

:) 

I was actually thinking of "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad", but "Standing on the Outside" kinda works, too. I guess Meatloaf knew all about disappointment. :):):) 

vor 14 Minuten schrieb ivoryjones:

The "plexiglass" Daytona headlights are only found on early models, I think from 1968 to 1969. Something about them wasn't compliant with U.S. DOT regulations. Which is also why you very rarely see plexiglass Daytonas in North America. The later pop-up headlights were developed expressly to be DOT compliant, so that's why you only see those on cars from about 1970 to 1973.

I'm not sure how they then got the McBurnie Daytonas to essentially be "plexiglass" replicas, but maybe the U.S. spec Corvette headlights were more in line with regulations.

vor 13 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

:) 

I was actually thinking of "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad", but "Standing on the Outside" kinda works, too. I guess Meatloaf knew all about disappointment. :):):) 

He had a few decent car themed songs though... "Paradise By The Dashboard Light", or "Objects In The Rear View Mirror"... and he loved his silver black Phantom bike, apparently... :)

My favorite Meat Loaf song though when I am taking the convertible for a spin on a sunny day is "You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth". All that positive energy... :thumbsup:

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ivoryjones said:

1972-Ferrari-365-GTB-4-Daytona_10_zpsvlw

1972-Ferrari-365-GTB-4-Daytona_11_zpspvg

On the other hand, other models, don't.

1973-Ferrari-365-GTS-4-Daytona-Spyder-fr

I was nearly sure that at least on some episode or other of Miami Vice, there were relief marks on Crockett's Daytona hood that would suggest (even though it's a fake Ferrari) the headlights were of the retractable kind. Just like this one below, which I believe it was a real Ferrari, used on "One Way Ticket":

036-one%20way%20ticketmill%20creek%20bd_

Well, I searched the BluRays all around, but I couldn't find anywhere, in any episode, relief marks on Crockett's Daytona hood that would suggest the headlights were retractable. I must have dreamed it...

Anyway, it's funny how there were changes regarding the headlights on the show:

Transparent headlight cover:

004-calderones%20returnmill%20creek%20bd

No headlight cover (last half of "Little Prince" and "Milk Run" -- this image comes from "Milk Run"):

012-milk%20runmill%20creek%20bd_21.18_no

Dark headlight cover

034-definitely%20miamimill%20creek%20bd_

045-when%20irish%20eyes%20are%20cryingmi

Good observations on the cars. The retractable lens housing/covers on the Ferrari Daytona were definitely on the genuine Ferraris and the housings literally moved up and down. You can see the round lenses in the down position above the bumpers. Interesting photo of the Daytona hardtop though with plexi, and I was not aware that was ever used on the real Ferraris.

Plexi was used on the 2 replicars in the Series, and the reason you see them missing in some scenes is likely due to driving and stunt damages, as you will see such damages from time to time in the series with even loose/broken parts hanging from the bottom of the nose in your photo ( recall the night driving scenes in Hit List or Yankee Dollar). And phantom taillights are also seen from taking bumps at high speed. The series cars didn't use drop or retractable covers however, as mine does, which are metal covers that raise and lower with the headlight on/off switch to simulate the look of the genuine Ferrari Daytonas.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

It's interesting that this car was changed to black and tan and turned into a convertible in 1980, long before any kind of Miami Vice hype... 

I seem to recall reading somewhere that there were more hardtops made than convertibles, though only around 135 or so of the Ferrari 365 GTS/4 Daytona Spyder (convertible) were made, and when the prices starting rising on the convertibles a number of hardtop owners had their cars modified to convertibles to increase value.

vor 51 Minuten schrieb Sonny-Burnett:

I seem to recall reading somewhere that there were more hardtops made than convertibles, though only around 135 or so of the Ferrari 365 GTS/4 Daytona Spyder (convertible) were made, and when the prices starting rising on the convertibles a number of hardtop owners had their cars modified to convertibles to increase value.

I think that was the main point of these conversions... people hoping to double their money by having their Daytona coupe cut open. Real Daytona Spyders in the sense that they rolled out of the assembly shop as convertibles were very rare and fetch upwards of one million today.

Even if it cost you 10 to 20 grand to have a decent conversion performed, you could and still can turn a hefty profit, and that's already factoring in that converted Daytonas will never be worth as much as a factory spyder.

You can usually tell a factory spyder from an aftermarket conversion though. The coupe had a much more slanted windshield. The whole windshield frame including the windshield itself on factory spyders is more upright. The slanted windshield is usually left in place after the conversion.

Edited by Daytona74

1279 Daytona's were coupes.   122 were real Spyder's.  And "about 100" of the coupes were converted to convertibles.   Based on the today's currency rate of the British Pound this car is being offered  at $795K U$D.  That is actually a very good price (Coupes are asking around $600K ish)

The British pound ha weakened considerably (15+ %) since Brexit.   Our US Dollars are buying more that they used to.

The car would be asking a much higher price, though, if black paint and tan/black interior were original. 

Either it's just me, or the real Daytona just looks a lot worse than the replicas used in the show and Jurassic Narc's one he had before he sold it. I believe this guy has his old one: http://www.miamivice38kv.com/the-vice-car/

I guess it's because I've been watching Season's 1&2 for the past 2 weeks straight and the real car looks...Like there's too much on it. The slim look of the replica looks better to me. What are y'all's opinions?

Yeah if you watch MV a lot, the genuine Daytona Spyder looks to be the oddball in comparison. I love the look of the authentic Ferrari, and the looks of some of the replicas, but the series-driven cars from seasons one and two are my personal preferences. I could never look at any Daytona Spyder and not think of Miami Vice, so even the most precious, sought after genuine car would "still not be the MV car" to me. I realize such statements are blasphemous to Ferrari enthusiasts. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dadrian said:

Yeah if you watch MV a lot, the genuine Daytona Spyder looks to be the oddball in comparison. I love the look of the authentic Ferrari, and the looks of some of the replicas, but the series-driven cars from seasons one and two are my personal preferences. I could never look at any Daytona Spyder and not think of Miami Vice, so even the most precious, sought after genuine car would "still not be the MV car" to me. I realize such statements are blasphemous to Ferrari enthusiasts. 

How have you been Dadrian? I just started watching and getting back into Miami Vice. On Bought and Paid For right now. What's new? Any new covers lately? I took Crockettt1984's covers that he posts and converted all of them into MP3s, 320kbps.

I'm great, thanks! I hope the same for you.

I don't have any immediate plans to do more covers--especially since technology allows us to rip the cues from the DVDs like in the videos you mentioned. If I ever get to financial position to buy a genuine Memorymoog or Jupiter 8 synthesizer I would definitely do more covers. Given the amount of time it takes to make a cover, I can no longer feel like it's worth it without authentic sounds. I also haven't given up on future releases. Anything can happen!

• Like 1

It's great to be back. It's kind of a once a year thing for me honestly, but it's always great to hear from you, C&B, and JN, Ferrariman, timm525, and the others. I just wish I was more active and didn't drift away for most of the past few years. Anyways, good to hear back from you again! I'll be around, keep us posted on some new things.