How we know Miami Vice took place in the 80s...

Daytona74

How do we know Miami Vice took place in the 80s?

- Crockett gets to smoke cigarettes inside the OCB. And not just in the break room, but at his desk and in the strategy room. With no windows open.

- No cell phones. And no whatsapp to tell somebody you were going to be late for a meet. And no way to warn you that Trini de Soto is going to kill you.

- Manuel "Skates" Santini wears a sash of audio cassette tapes

- one big cocaine deal and you're set for life

- The entire OCB has just one desktop computer.

...and your "that would never happen today" observations? ;)

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Some of the things that came to mind: 

- Police Detective Trudy Joplin's sign "Big Booty Trudy" on her desk (would be unprofessional)

- Keeping an alligator as pet (which was unrealistic for a cop to have in the 80's as well)

- Vice squad dealing with cases outside their area (like supernatural events and the frozen body of a dead reggae singer)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, summer84 said:

Some of the things that came to mind: 

- Police Detective Trudy Joplin's sign "Big Booty Trudy" on her desk (would be unprofessional)

- Keeping an alligator as pet (which was unrealistic for a cop to have in the 80's as well)

- Vice squad dealing with cases outside their area (like supernatural events and the frozen body of a dead reggae singer)

Agree with your first point.  Today it would be politically incorrect.

Keeping an alligator as a pet is unrealistic period.  They are too primitive, unpredictable, and can't be domesticated anything close to a cat or dog.

You might be right about point three.  I'm not familiar with police policy or how it has changed.

vor 31 Minuten schrieb miamijimf:

Keeping an alligator as a pet is unrealistic period.  They are too primitive, unpredictable, and can't be domesticated anything close to a cat or dog.

Not to mention downright scary. I saw a fully grown alligator once at a wildlife sanctuary in the Caribbean. Up close, not even five feet away. Not the kind of pet any sane person would keep without proper precautions, let alone on a sailboat.

They had baby alligators there that they let us hold to have our picture taken. But they had their jaws firmly taped shut, because we were told even an alligator the size of a domestic cat can give you a pretty nasty bite if you're unlucky.

But there you go... we never complain about the fact that usually, vice cops don't last longer than a year in the same area because then it becomes too dangerous for them to have their cover blown... ;)

I think today with the Internet and social media, that timespan probably must have shrunk yet again. Just a guess... so that's another thing that couldn't happen today. Two vice cops in flashy clothing lasting five years in the same city, with their cover only very occasionally blown and with few consequences.

Edited by Daytona74

Many things from the 80s of note in that series other than the clothes, cars and music such as:

• Floppy discs in computers (Out where the Busses Don't Run and at OCB)
  • Typewriters seen at a few places and in OCB
  • Use of the Watts Line in Red Tape ( definitely an 80s thing for making long distance calls at the office)
  • Phone-booths at many street corners
  • Cordless phones with large whip antennas ( on St Vitus Dance)
  • Crockett's car stereo in the Daytona displaying cassette slots (though this appeared into the 90s) seen in Cool Runnin'
  • Crockett's brand of Lucky Strike cigarettes (they changed the packaging at least on that one, because I have the newer version)
  • Crockett's Patou Pour Homme cologne seen in Heart of Darkness, now one of the most costly colognes out there because they stopped making that formula .
  • Crockett's Wayfarers model # 5022,  as well as his Blue Mirror Revos 840/001  and Persol 69218 model were made in that era (though you see them occasionally, at least the Wayfarers,  it isn't often today)
  • The big hair worn on women in the 80s, seen in numerous eps--yes it could happen again but I've not seen many of these styles since
  • Glass block windows seen in various eps I am pretty sure were an architectural thing of that period

I'm sure there are many more.....

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

Two vice cops in flashy clothing lasting five years in the same city, with their cover only very occasionally blown and with few consequences.

I never could get past how the bad guys wouldn't have known about them after driving flashy cars and conducting busts for so long.

26 minutes ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

I never could get past how the bad guys wouldn't have known about them after driving flashy cars and conducting busts for so long.

Its just tv logic I suppose. Would not really work like that in real life. Then again so pretty tough cops  who dealt with mobsters and other criminals here in Estonia  the 90s were public and had their faces everywhere in newspapers and on television have never been attacked or nothing so it is possible to survive such life I guess.

vor 27 Minuten schrieb ViceofEstonia:

Then again so pretty tough cops  who dealt with mobsters and other criminals here in Estonia  the 90s were public and had their faces everywhere in newspapers and on television have never been attacked or nothing so it is possible to survive such life I guess.

but that's the thing right there - they were out in the open. The bad guys knew that they're cops from the get go. But getting your cover blown at the wrong time in a drug deal, both on Miami Vice and in real life, could get you killed.

Nowadays, criminals probably send each other pictures on their smartphones of people who they think are cops. Which probably makes your stint as an undercover cop in any one area even shorter now.

• 1 year later...

Another thing - McBurnie Daytonas... :)

Way back before Ferrari started suing the pants off imitators... :p

Edited by Daytona74

On 6/20/2018 at 12:20 PM, Daytona74 said:

Another thing - McBurnie Daytonas... :)

Way back before Ferrari started suing the pants off imitators... :p

That is definately a point !

Am 21.6.2018 um 15:55 schrieb Matt5:

That is definately a point !

Hasn't stopped the McBurnies from becoming collectables though...  :) you sometimes see specimens in authentic MV trim and in perfect condition edging towards $80K asking price these days. At least here in Europe. That's not bad for a car that could be had for a little over 20 grand ten years ago. And it's certainly a middle finger to Ferrari... :p

• Like 1

Just turned down 60k for my boat.

Picking it up next Wednesday with two new engines. They are bigger and more powerful, so it should skoot quite nicely! I will post pics in a new thread next week.

As for Daytona's I have given up my search as there are too many scammers out there and the rest are all junk except for a few good ones which yes.......are overpriced.

Edited by Stinger390X

I occasionally kick myself for not getting a Daytona ten years ago when they were dirt cheap.

There was a Miami Vice-trim McBurnie Daytona at the time that was given away by German cable channel Kabel 1 as a marketing device to promote the start of them airing the series. All you had to do was call their number and leave your name. I didn't win the car, but the guy who did win then decided he didn't want the car, and offered it for sale on some German car forums. He was struggling to get bidders even for less than €20K, if I remember correctly. It was just not a car that was in demand back then.

Then again, a Daytona is just a hugely impractical car for German roads nowadays. If road tax isn't going to cost you a fortune (although with it now being over 30 year old, you can apply for a reduced tax rate for it being a historic vehicle), then gas is going to burn a hole in your wallet. A gallon of premium is around $7.30 here now. So for the most part, I probably would have just kept it in a garage somewhere and then maybe sold it off now with a tidy profit. But that just wouldn't have been worthy of such a legendary car.

So yeah... the Daytona is a car of the 80s in more ways than one... ;)

• Like 1

• Administrators

Gas prices under a buck a gallon.   There has to be a gas station in the background somewhere!

Funny you mentioned that Ferrariman.......

When I was a kid back in the 70's, I worked at a gas station in town as a pump jockey and mechanic. I remember gas was 32 cents a gallon and the boss told me to get a ladder and gave me a "7" and told me to change the sign. I said 37 cents...he said no. 72 cents a gallon!!! WTF!

It now cost me 15 dollars to fill my 67 Mustang instead of 8 bucks! That was a HUGE jump but that was during the Oil Embargo of 1973. This is when the Cartel wanted 15 dollars a barrel instead of the 7 dollars they were getting at the time. Presently it fluctuates between 40-60 dollars a barrel and a few years ago it was up to over 160 dollars a barrel!

In the eighties gas was still around the 70-80 cent mark for the early part, then crept up steadily until it got ridiculous! When MV came out I can recall around the dollar mark or just a bit more like 1.02 or something like that? Any other old farts like me remember the prices?

• Haha 1

On 6/23/2018 at 6:36 PM, Daytona74 said:

Hasn't stopped the McBurnies from becoming collectables though...  :) you sometimes see specimens in authentic MV trim and in perfect condition edging towards $80K asking price these days. At least here in Europe. That's not bad for a car that could be had for a little over 20 grand ten years ago. And it's certainly a middle finger to Ferrari... :p

Not bad at all! Great info thankyou.:cheers:

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Stinger390X said:

Any other old farts like me remember the prices?

I started driving in '72 and I could fill my tank and get change back from my 5 dollar bill. Gas was 35 cents a gallon in NJ.  Then the 1st price hike hit. I remember sitting in lines for gas. You would have to get up and get in line a few hours before going to work. Then it became odd and even days going by the last number on your license plate.  Then the 2nd embargo hit in '78 I think? They didn't even make triple digit gas pumps at the time so you had to pay double what the pump read. Good times!

It was the better period back when Bausch & Lomb still owned Ray-Ban before they sold it to an Italian company a decade later.

Also back when the Ray-Ban logo wasn't on EVERY single one of their sunglass lenses and temples.

I wish they hadn't sold their iconic brand.

Edited by Retro80sfan

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Retro80sfan said:

Also back when the Ray-Ban logo wasn't on EVERY single one of their sunglass lenses and temples. 

A little tip.  Take a soft wooden toothpick. Put a little spit on the end of it and gently rub and that logo comes right off the lens without a scratch! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

A little tip.  Take a soft wooden toothpick. Put a little spit on the end of it and gently rub and that logo comes right off the lens without a scratch! 

Thanks for the advice, @Ferrariman! ;) I had found a YouTube video about another way you can do it. :thumbsup:

Edited by Retro80sfan
  • Like 1

I was an exchange student in the U.S. in the early 90s, and people were complaining about a price of $1.25 for a gallon of premium gasoline. :p This was about a year after the Kuwait situation in the Middle East, which drove up the price of crude oil by a big percentage.

If you think your gas prices are bad over there these days - my '2000 Audi has a 15-gallon tank, and to fill it up with 98-octane premium (not required by the manufacturer, but it runs noticeably smoother with 98 or higher) costs me over 100 dollars.

Then again, I get decent fuel economy at roughly 35 mpg. One full tank lasts around 400 miles. What do you get with the old Chevy big/small blocks in the Daytona? 8-10 mpg?

Edited by Daytona74

13 hours ago, Stinger390X said:

Funny you mentioned that Ferrariman.......

When I was a kid back in the 70's, I worked at a gas station in town as a pump jockey and mechanic. I remember gas was 32 cents a gallon and the boss told me to get a ladder and gave me a "7" and told me to change the sign. I said 37 cents...he said no. 72 cents a gallon!!! WTF!

It now cost me 15 dollars to fill my 67 Mustang instead of 8 bucks! That was a HUGE jump but that was during the Oil Embargo of 1973. This is when the Cartel wanted 15 dollars a barrel instead of the 7 dollars they were getting at the time. Presently it fluctuates between 40-60 dollars a barrel and a few years ago it was up to over 160 dollars a barrel!

In the eighties gas was still around the 70-80 cent mark for the early part, then crept up steadily until it got ridiculous! When MV came out I can recall around the dollar mark or just a bit more like 1.02 or something like that? Any other old farts like me remember the prices?

The cheapest I remember paying for gas was 89 cents a gallon somewhere around 1987/88 when I started driving.  There was an oil glut that began around 85/86, but I wasn't driving yet.  Then came the Gulf War.  It was over a dollar for good about two or three years later. 

The most I ever paid here in the US was the summer of 2008.  I had spent months getting my VW Westfalia restored and headed to Big Sur on California's Central Coast to camp for the July 4th holiday.  That coastline is stunning, but pretty twisty and isolated along certain stretches.  I'm talking about several hairpin corners on cliffs above the ocean that have 15 mph signs.  They also have those signs saying next gas in 100 miles several places.  Bottom line, I had to get gas part way through and I was stunned that it was $5.00 a gallon.  I took a picture with an old phone I had just to show people.

I totally remember sitting in line with the odd/even day thing in my dad's '69 Ford pickup during the second oil embargo of the late 70's.  That thing got 8 mpg and had two 20 gallon tanks!

• Like 1

vor 16 Stunden schrieb pahonu:

That coastline is stunning, but pretty twisty and isolated along certain stretches.  I'm talking about several hairpin corners on cliffs above the ocean that have 15 mph signs.  They also have those signs saying next gas in 100 miles several places. 

I drove down that very stretch of coastline on vacation once, exactly 25 years ago... :thumbsup: to me, one of the most beautiful places/areas in the entire United States...

And boy, do they have few gas stations in the Californian hinterland. We pretty much completely ran out of gas at some point one evening, and almost literally arrived on the last drop at a dilapidated old gas station out in the middle of nowhere, where an old guy in his 60s or 70s then pumped gas for us from a 1950s looking pump. We had a '93 Chevy Lumina as our rental car, not sure how many gallons fit in that car's tank, but when we were all filled up, the guy said, "You were a little low on gas, weren't you". So I said, "Yeah, it was right down on empty... we kind of underestimated that there would be this few gas stations here in these parts". And he said, "Oh yeah... we're the only gas station for another 40 miles" :)

On the subject of gas stations on Miami Vice... I've been trying to think of an episode where there could be a gas station with the price signs in the background... not sure though. One of my guesses was the car chase scene at the beginning of Calderone's Return Pt I... but I'm not at home right now, and my DVD box set isn't here where I am... :p

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1

Speaking of fuel prices...if you think about it in the 70's it was in the 30's cents per gallon. I started wondering how much it was in the old black and white movies I used to watch on TCM so I tried to see what the prices were in the 50's, 40's etc and it only moved from like 20 cents to 30 in two decades.

When the first oil embargo hit a barrel of oil was 7 bucks and the Cartel wanted 15, and the president said NO WAY, so they parked off shore and played cards and refused to deliver the oil. That is over double overnight!!!

Think about it.....over the next decades prices went up and down and all over the place but it never DOUBLED! The 80's was really a time of opulence and I remember I had a hotrod with a tunnel ram and dual quad carburetors sticking out of the hood and fuel to me was ....Oh well...lets just pay for it and I really didn't care! That was the time but it was still relatively cheap. I have the original fuel receipt from when my boat left the showroom floor and was first filled at a gas station. It cost 268 bucks to fill my boat in 1987. Today I pay almost 1500 or more to fill from bone dry.

• Administrators
32 minutes ago, Stinger390X said:

The 80's was really a time of opulence and I remember I had a hotrod with a tunnel ram and dual quad carburetors sticking out of the hood and fuel to me was ....Oh well...lets just pay for it and I really didn't care! 

Still have my hot rod with dual quads and I still say "I'll just pay for it and I really don't care! ;)

HPIM1573.JPG

HPIM1560.JPG

HPIM1561.JPG

• Like 4
  • Haha 1