How we know Miami Vice took place in the 80s...

Daytona74

vor 54 Minuten schrieb Ferrariman:

Still have my hot rod with dual quads and I still say "I'll just pay for it and I really don't care! ;)

Well, simply put, if you've got a car like that and you enjoy owning that car, there's no point moaning about fuel prices... you knew that beforehand. If the cost of fuel is a problem for you, go buy a Japanese hybrid :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

If the cost of fuel is a problem for you, go buy a Japanese hybrid :)

OUCH!!  That would go against everything I hold sacred! ;)

But yes you hit the nail on the head. You don't build a car like this worrying about gas prices.  I know too many friends who sold their classic muscle cars when the gas hikes hit. Every single one of them regrets it!

• Like 1

• Administrators

I feel like we hijacked this topic talking about cars, but then I realized, that's one of the biggest clues that the show existed in the 80's.  The cars!  Movies and TV shows can always be dated by the cars we see. We obviously don't see any cars made beyond '84 - '89!

• Like 3

vor 33 Minuten schrieb Ferrariman:

I know too many friends who sold their classic muscle cars when the gas hikes hit. Every single one of them regrets it!

Also, a car like yours, you don't normally use as your daily driver.

Most people I know anyway keep cars like that as "weekend pursuits". This isn't a car to do your work commute in or to take the kids to school or buy groceries.

And besides, the increase in value over time of such a car should more than make up for the fact that it's thirstier than a sailor on shore leave... :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I found this chart of gas prices over the years adjusted to 2015 dollars.  The source is the US Department of Energy.  The bottom shows the volatility of gas prices (and apparently milk?!?!?) as compared to more stable electricity and other food prices.  1978-80 shows a big jump pretty quickly as  result of the second oil embargo, but check out the slow but steady rise from 2002-08.  Wow!  The article also states the barrel price of oil from the OPEC countries jumped from $3 to $12 during the first embargo.  Of course domestic supplies tempered this significantly.  If we relied almost exclusively on imported oil then, as Japan does today, for example, prices would have quadrupled.  Wow again!

Here's the website.  https://www.titlemax.com/discovery-center/planes-trains-and-automobiles/average-gas-prices-through-history/

gas-prices-over-time.thumb.png.7c0a9bd67df255e696f94f75c82bedcc.png 

Here's a chart of inflation adjusted gas prices in the U.S. over the years:

inflation-adjusted-gasoline-ja.jpg

(source: https://inflationdata.com/articles/inflation-adjusted-prices/inflation-adjusted-gasoline-prices/ )

Gasoline isn't that expensive in real terms now, at least not vastly more expensive than at other times in the last 100 years when the price was relatively high.

The really interesting thing would be to compare those  gas prices to average incomes over the years.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I once heard a radio talk show comparing a gallon of gas to other things we buy by the gallon, like milk for example. Gas turned out to be a pretty good bargain!

Unless your in Canada. Gas right now is approximately $1.30 per liter.  3.8 liters to a gallon, do the math. Just a hair under $5.00 a gallon. And that's for regular. Unfortunately both of our cars take 91 octane which is about $1.50 a liter!

...and just in case you're wondering, I still would never sell it! ;)

I'm in Germany. My everyday car is a '2000 Audi A4 1.8T.

It has decent fuel economy, some 35 mpg depending on how your drive it. I usually get 98-octane premium (or 102 if they have it), because it just runs smoother with it. That's some €1.60 per liter right now, as per what I saw here in my neighborhood yesterday. That works out to $7.05 a gallon at the current exchange rate.

I can remember 91-octane here being around 0.88 German Marks per liter in 1988 (before the 2002 Euro currency reform). That would have been roughly $1.91 a gallon with the average USD/DEM exchange rate that year.

Fuel as a commodity isn't that much more expensive for us to import into Europe than into the U.S.. But fuel tax is really pretty insane and makes up  the lion share of the price difference between Europe and the U.S..

I can't really say  that that's  all a bad thing. It means there is a good deal of pressure on carmakers to build more fuel efficient cars. And it still doesn't stop car enthusiasts here from owning gaz guzzlers... :p

Yes I have been to Europe and I feel sorry for you guys.

I bitch up here in Canada about prices, but you Eurostates have outrageous prices compared to us. Sometimes I pop over to the Statesside for fuel but I find my boat runs like crap after a fueling over there? I still like buying quality 96 octane up here in the Great White North.

They say there isn't any kind of noticeable difference between 95-octane premium and the 98 or 102 that I get for my car. Especially that it doesn't make your car run any faster.

While the latter is probably true, one thing where I just put my foot down (get it? put my foot down... :)) is that my car runs smoother with 102. The turbo charger just feels more steady when accelerating, and there is less vibration coming from the engine at idle. 102 is about five cents more on the liter compared to 95, but it is money well spent in my opinion.

Another way we know that Miami Vice took place in the 80s: only very rudimentary CCTV surveillance of public places. Crockett has to ask for every film out of every camera around the crime scene where Leon is killed in the pilot movie. The coffee bar in "Florence, Italy" just happens to have one newly installed black and white camera that records on VHS tape. And I think there is one surveillance camera somewhere around one of the properties in "The Home Invaders" in the scene where one of the guys stakes them out with his photo camera. Nowadays, it's like no self respecting TV crime show can do without surveillance camera stills...

And of course, you no longer have to "bug" somebody's phone by physically inserting a radio transmitter into the receiver, like in "No Exit". Phone calls can be intercepted digitally right at the source, and if what you read on tech news sites is true, any smartphone microphone  can be hijacked to  transmit what people around it are saying.

Edited by Daytona74

On 6/27/2018 at 8:09 AM, Ferrariman said:

Still have my hot rod with dual quads and I still say "I'll just pay for it and I really don't care! ;)

HPIM1573.JPG

HPIM1560.JPG

HPIM1561.JPG

Love that GREEN!!!  Could've been in an ep. of MV. 

Am 3.7.2018 um 02:03 schrieb S.FL84:

Love that GREEN!!!  Could've been in an ep. of MV. 

I agree. Similar color to the S3 bug van :thumbsup:

You know speaking of cars, the series had some outstanding automobiles!

Of course the Ferarri Daytona but I liked Stan's 64 convertible T-Bird and of course Trudy's 72 Cougar Convertible.  Tubbs Cady was a huge boat anchor and I liked it as well.

Many of the guests drove some exotic cars such as 69 Road Runner Ragtop, 59 Caddy in Brothers Keeper I believe???(it was Penners car), and countless others. I liked the fact that many were convertibles, but the cars used in the show were cool, opulent and exotic and represented the 80's. Come on...the 1981 Dodge "Bug Van" was hilarious! 

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 7/6/2018 at 11:30 PM, Stinger390X said:

Many of the guests drove some exotic cars such as 69 Road Runner Ragtop, 59 Caddy in Brothers Keeper I believe???(it was Penners car), and countless others. 

The '59 Caddy was in "The Prodigal Son"   Don't remember a '69 Roadrunner though? and I'm a Mopar guy!  Do you remember the episode?

Fontainebleau hotel trompe l'oeil

when you are a MDPD personel, and you enter a suspect's house ninja style without any legal authorization to install microphones all around. not sure it was legal back then though x)

when you see Peugeot on Florida highways

No GPS tracking. No Google Maps. Think of Tale Of The Goat. Maybe a modern day GPS tracker would have fallen off the underside of that truck the same way. But it still would have given a much more accurate position. When you think about it, it's amazing that you would have had success tracking somebody with a homing device like that in the first place, which really only allowed you to tell a very vague bearing and distance.

And then they struggled to find the house where the cult was gathering, which probably also would have been easier if they had been able to just have  a look at that neighborhood from above via Google Maps or Google Earth...

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:11 AM, Ferrariman said:

The '59 Caddy was in "The Prodigal Son"   Don't remember a '69 Roadrunner though? and I'm a Mopar guy!  Do you remember the episode?

Yes thanks for the correction Ferrariman.

The 69 Roadrunner ragtop was used in the episode of the three or four  badasses making havoc. The episode name eludes me at the moment, but if you recall they spray painted the side of the car. I think it said "death" or something, and I remember how angry I was that they would ruin such a classic with graffiti!

vor 31 Minuten schrieb Stinger390X:

The 69 Roadrunner ragtop was used in the episode of the three or four  badasses making havoc. The episode name eludes me at the moment, but if you recall they spray painted the side of the car. I think it said "death" or something, and I remember how angry I was that they would ruin such a classic with graffiti!

That was Nobody Lives Forever in season one. The one where Crockett has that fling with his architect girlfriend Brenda.

And the words sprayed on the side of the car read "Death - the ultimate high". Although I think they misspelled part of it and it was actually "ultimat" or something.

• Administrators

Oh man! How could I forget that!  As a Mopar guy I should be ashamed of myself! :o   and now that I think about it, I do believe that car was a GTX which is a variation of the Roadrunner.

• 2 weeks later...

when you are a cop, and you can't put in jail a big suspect. and you go to his house and beat him in the face, to show him what violence is about

when you are an artist painter, and you don't use gloves when using a paint spray

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

when you are a cop, and you go after a thug without bullet proof stuff, an armored truck, and military grade weaponry

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, jpm1 said:

when you can buy a 100m motor yacht in perfect shape for 250 000€

There were no Euros in the 80's. 

• Haha 3