Fellow Daytona lovers

Stinger390X

Well friends...I am just about done looking for a Daytona. My frustration level is through the roof today!

I was looking on the interweb in my varied locations for that special car and low and behold I found it! Finally...a good looking car with flares, clean lines, a standard transmission and proper door handles and exhaust. I have some money burning a hole in my pocket so I decided to contact the owner who is in Nashville. (I was just there three days ago) and am hoping to possibly see the car next week when I go back.

Couple of minutes later I see another add for a clean car, coincidently the same colour, and low and behold - IF IT ISN'T THE EXACT SAME F*CKING CAR!!! BUT.......IT'S IN NJ?

WTF? I have to chase down this ellusive reasonably priced car to be disappointed YET AGAIN?

After over ten years of looking at junk and following fairy tales, I am really getting bewildered. I have a few shekels saved but there is NO WAY I am forking over 40k for a 40 year old car! I find one that may be workable and now its "chase the mouse" again.

Why do these a$$holes even bother advertising?

Three months to go, and I'll just put my boat back in the water and forget about a convertible.........................................................

Interweb?   Where is the link to the sales ad?   I search daily and have not come across any car remotely similar to what you are mentioning as of late.

And, yes, it seems that EVERY seller of these Daytona's is either a crook, scam artist, arrogant, or a dumbass.   I've bought multiple Porsches (6 figure $$ cars)and Jag's. Never have gone through the BS that I've encountered trying to buy a Daytona replica.

Yes, can you post the link?  I too would not expect to pay $40k, unless the car was in exceptional condition with little needed upgrades and repairs. I think when I eventually finish with mine I will have around that much in the car...possibly a little more than that.

The car(s) were 13k which I don't mind forking over. It was red, but I can paint it, as I have been painting cars for over 40 years, so colour change is not a problem. I can stomach a 15k Daytona for my retirement years.

Many of these 30-40k cars are so disappointing when I go to see them!

It's probably just my own narcissism and my expertise regarding automobiles. I go to look at these junks (not my first impression, but my findings after inspection) and I always let the owner speak first. I can tell in two minutes if I'm being "shined on". I insect in silence and don't comment on the numerous findings I discover as, why insult the owner? I say thank you and move on.

I'll pay 8-17 k for a good car. These are "C3 series" cars and even stock Vette's in good condition don't demand 30k! I could have bought my buddies C5 ragtop last summer for 4500 bucks but didn't really want a vette, although the ragtop was interesting. It also had a brand new smallblock in it and he had trouble selling it at that price. He finally let it go to some young guy for 4200. He got a good deal.

Many of you who have followed my posts know of some of the unbelievable junk I have bothered to look at because of my desire to own a Daytona. Some of the kits and copies aren't even McBurnie. I once drove 4 hrs to look at a car that didn't even have a trunklid!!!!!!!! It was solid fiberglass from the door post back?!?

This is my frustration.................

Stinger-  I saw that car listed for quite some time.  It need A LOT of work obviously.  I envy your ability/patience to restore a car in that condition.  Just not my cup of tea.  I'd rather "overpay" a few bucks for the PERFECT Daytona.  But they just don't seem to be out there !!!

27 minutes ago, Mvice8489 said:

Stinger-  I saw that car listed for quite some time.  It need A LOT of work obviously.  I envy your ability/patience to restore a car in that condition.  Just not my cup of tea.  I'd rather "overpay" a few bucks for the PERFECT Daytona.  But they just don't seem to be out there !!!

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!

This after over a decade search. I guess it's a matter of perspective. I get offers for my boat every day but I won't sell. I love my boat and enjoy being on the water ...ergo no sale! However owners of Daytona's find a flaw and then want to pawn off the crap for an exuberant price!

Chris Craft only made 201 boats that year and only 12 in my configuration. Sadly because of the politics of leasing CC went into recievership and no more boats were made in that size leaving only 12 in existence. There are hundreds of these Daytona's around and I personally have logged over 143 of them in the last few years. I always get the "they are so rare" routine.

Laughable.......

I don't know if my dream of owning the car and the boat will ever happen at this rate? I started this quest thirty years ago and it took me 20 to find the perfect boat. There was a time when I owned two boats and was making payments on both! I am too old to mortgage a car......

MyToys.JPG

Edited by Stinger390X
  • Like 1