John Hurt Rest In Peace

Tommy Vercetti

I'm very sad to report on the passing of the great John Hurt at the age of 77. What can I say about this man? He was a legend and one of the greatest actors ever. I loved his work. His brilliance as an actor combined with his wit and intelligence made him an all round great guy. His career spanned decades with many great roles in great films and he has been active in acting up until the end. He's in the current film Jackie with Natalie Portman.

Some of his best roles:

Max the junkie inmate in Midnight Express (Also RIP to Brad Davis. Gone too soon)midnight-express2.jpg

Kane in Alien
alien.jpg

John working with Harry Dean Stanton should have been with better developed characters with more depth IMO. But he was the famous chestbuster scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSYuF6TI1dl

The Elephant Man
elephant-man-03-g.jpg

10 Rillington Place. This was one of his best films and roles IMO, about the infamous John Christie serial killer case in Britain. Great film. Richard Attenborough was also superb in the film.
10-Rillington-3.jpg

The Hit was a good. Cool to have a crime road movie in Spain with John, Terence Stamp and Tim Roth
The-Hit-still-1.jpg

A pertenent scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjtg-QzRFhU

Hell, John was so cool he even got to hang out with Little Joe. Two legends right here
5167552839_3a2dcb8651.jpg

Farewell John. You were one of the best and you'll never be forgotten. Good night, sweet prince.

• Like 1

One of the greatest character actors I have ever seen. A true gentleman both on and off the screen.

The hilarious cameo in Spaceballs (1987) never fails me, and his voice alone could really make a big difference, as witnessed in The Black Cauldron, where he plays the evil Horned King, in what might just be one of the most chilling scenes in any of Disney's films.

• Administrators

Loved him in "Midnight Express"  but John will probably be best remembered as the first person to have an alien burst out of his chest!

RIP John

We a have a little Harry Potter fan at my house. R.I.P. Ollivander the wand maker. 

Edited by Dadrian

Sadly all the legendary actors are leaving us.

My favourites from John were "The elephant Man" which he was brilliant in and the other is "1984" which I idleise not only for his role but the depths of the novel and the story which was so well told in the movie. So much of 1984 can be related to modern day events.

I think he also did well in the British political scandal of the sixties...Promithos or something like that. (the name escapes me at the moment) I should google it...............