Andres Carranza, Miami Vice co-creator????

ivoryjones

I wonder if this is a wrong information, perpetuated by imdb.com and by some internet links.

On imdb.com, it reads that "Andres Carranza" is co-creator of "Miami Vice", and he is listed as such on all eps from Season 1. I don't remember EVER reading that name on Miami Vice credits.

• Like 1

Hmmm...The IMDB page has him listed as having worked on the series during Season One:

Miami Vice (TV Series) (co-creator - 22 episodes) 

- Lombard (1985) ... (co-creator)
- Evan (1985) ... (co-creator)
- Nobody Lives Forever (1985) ... (co-creator)
- The Home Invaders (1985) ... (co-creator)
- Made for Each Other (1985) ... (co-creator)

So the million-dollar question is: It appears he is/was a writer, what exactly did he "co-create?"  Was he a "ghost writer" for the show, or maybe he did re-writes during season one? 

Edited by mvnyc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mvnyc said:

Hmmm...The IMDB page has him listed as having worked on the series during Season One:

Miami Vice (TV Series) (co-creator - 22 episodes) 

- Lombard (1985) ... (co-creator)
- Evan (1985) ... (co-creator)
- Nobody Lives Forever (1985) ... (co-creator)
- The Home Invaders (1985) ... (co-creator)
- Made for Each Other (1985) ... (co-creator)

So the million-dollar question is: It appears he is/was a writer, what exactly did he "co-create?"  Was he a "ghost writer" for the show, or maybe he did re-writes during season one? 

Exactly, mvnyc! What did he co-create? And also, how is it possible to co-create a TV show (presumably teaming up with Anthony Yerkovich) only for a certain number of episodes? And how come production would be (supposedly) so dishonest to leave his name out of it for 111 eps?

I wouldn't rule out a mistake, or even a bad joke.  One thing that's been puzzling me lately is the amount of errors one may find on imdb. As many other sites reproduce imdb content without verification, a single imdb inconsistency may reappear on dozens of sources.

I've been watching the BD episodes and later I verify their information on imdb. Here's what I've already corrected personally (submitting corrections to imdb moderators): a complete wrong image for "No Exit" (already gone, it was a b/w image of some sort of congregation!), exchanged characters between Gy Mirano and Olga Karlatos on "Forgive us our Debts (I asked for a correction today, it's still wrong right now), no mention to Barbra Streisend on "Badge of Dishonor" (I asked them to fix it and they already did it, and I've sent them a pic at the exact point she is between DJ and PMT), wrong character played by Brian Brucker O'Connor (this one is hilarious, how could an actor by then in his mid-30s play Alex Kaplan/Jose Daniel Escobar character, one of the stolen kids?!?! it's still wrong right now, but I've asked for a correction, as O'Connor played homicide detective Patterson).

I found nothing on Andres Carranza on Miami Vice Wiki. Found nothing on Google books. Checked Carranza info on imdb and, as a writer, his only works were (supposedly) "Miami Vice" and "Ghetto Blaster" (1989).

Edited by ivoryjones
  • Like 2

Andres Carranza is listed under Series Writing Credits right after Anthony Yerkovich as the series creator. 

Series Writing Credits  

Anthony Yerkovich...(creator) (111 episodes, 1984-1990)

Andres Carranza...(co-creator) (22 episodes, 1984-1985)

Dick Wolf...(15 episodes, 1986-1988)

Michael Duggan...(10 episodes, 1986-1988)

Joel Surnow...(9 episodes, 1984-1986)

Daniel Pyne...(five episodes including "Yankee Dollar") (8 episodes, 1984-1988)

Robert Ward...(8 episodes, 1988-1989)

Dennis Cooper...(7 episodes, 1985-1988)

Robert Palm...(7 episodes, 1987-1988)

John Schulian...(7 episodes, 1987-1988)

continued...

(IMDb) 

I also found something about what a creator does: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_program_creators

And speaking of errors on IMDb: It says that Olivia Brown married:

Spouse

Mykelti Williamson (2 July 1983 - 2 December 1985) (divorced)

Trivia 

But  Met her ex-husband, Mykelti Williamson, while both were working on the TV series Miami Vice (1984).

?( 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 2

If you do a net search on this name, literally almost nothing shows up. Whereas Anthony Yerkovich  has numerous search results from a variety of sources. So how would that be possible for him, a co-creator, not to be referenced in other sources, interviews, credits etc. if he were legit? And I can't ever recall seeing this guy's name in the credits before, nor am I familiar with Imdb's moderator review standards, but could this be merely a hoax?

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

Precisely, Sonny-Burnett. There was no word about him here the .org until today. I don't recall ever seeing a discussion about him here or on previous forums. Miami Vice Wiki also does not mention him. I don't remember seeing his name on "The Making of Miami Vice" either.  

IMDB lists him also for the movie Searchers 2.0 (never heard of it). And apparently he's also an actor that appeared in 13 films:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0139977/

Maybe it's one of those things, where a guy feels like his script or storyline was stolen and he figured to put himself into the database.? haha. Seriously though, I'm sure plagiarism happens a lot in these circles, intentionally and unintenionally. Not sure if that would be the case with some MV episodes.