Crockett's Testarossa...Black or White?

codemaster94

Crockett's Testarossa...Black or White?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Crockett's Testarossa...Black or White?

• Black from "When Irish Eyes Are Crying"
    • White from "Stone's War" and onward
    • Not sure, the decision is too hard!
    • Both look good on any day!

miami-vice-ferrari-testarossa-11-1.jpg

i123215.jpg

miami-vice-daytona-car-from-behind.jpg

So I'm on Season 3's opener "When Irish Eyes Are Crying", and I'm curious what people's opinions are on both colors for the Testarossa. After watching it, I think that it actually wouldn't look too bad in Black but it just looks kinda odd having a tan interior with a hardtop to me. Them going to a white color is better looking with the interior being tan but it looks better (convertible) on the Daytona rather than the Testarossa in my opinion. What're y'all's thoughts?

You do know the Testa was actually delivered in Black (first shown in Irish Eyes) and then repainted white after someone, maybe the production crew, thought it would stand out better at night in white. And as I own a black Daytona, I am partial to black.

I like the TR in black, too.

However, to me, it does have more of a visual impact in white with Season 3 colors and other visual direction the show went at that time (day or night). I've often wondered if it would have been as famous if they'd left it black. 

Anyway, I'll also add that the TR is the only Ferrari that doesn't look great in red to me. I know that's a blasphemous statement for Ferrari enthusiasts. 

1 hour ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

You do know the Testa was actually delivered in Black (first shown in Irish Eyes) and then repainted white after someone, maybe the production crew, thought it would stand out better at night in white. And as I own a black Daytona, I am partial to black.

To answer your statement, yes, I know that it was originally black. You can consider me a well informed trivia enthusiast of Miami Vice :cool:

• Administrators

Out of the two, I prefer the white. 

However, I once saw a dark blue metallic Testarossa and thought that it looked absolutely amazing. 

It was like this, blue with the beige interior. 

0abbd78bd81eca6787a320b81b37d585.jpg

A bit off topic, but a city about 50 miles from where I live in Texas, The Woodlands, has a 1972 Ferrari Daytona GTB/4 (one of 1,284 ever made) that I'm tempted to go look at.

I'm tempted to go to the Woodlands and view it this week. It's the only time I'll probably ever see a Daytona in my life. http://www.ebay.com/itm/311790612300?forcerRptr=true&item=311790612300&frommaketrack=true&viewitem=

http://www.ecarlist.com/showroom/2234/photos/21738051#00

Only 1,284 coupes ever produced.

Like Dadrian said, it was good to have at least a little bit of light color on the show in season three after they went all dark with clothing and backdrops.

That said, the TR in white looks a bit... erm.,. maybe ostentatious is the word I am looking for. It did look like something a drug dealer would have driven, but in terms of sleekness and compactness, it couldn't hold a candle to the Daytona.

It's also too bad that Ferrari didn't offer the Testarossa as a factory spyder back then. They never did, but at some point, you saw aftermarket conversions here and there in car magazines.

If the show had carried on into the 90s, maybe they could have switched to the Testarossa's "little brother", the Ferrari 348, which came out in 1989. It had many design elements of the Testarossa, but was a little more compact looking (partly due to "only" having a V8 engine behind the seats) and thus in its own way it was closer to the Daytona:

1280px-Ferrari_348_-_Flickr_-_Alexandre_

Cue dialogue:

Tubbs: "How are we going to mask as drug dealers with just eight cylinders?"

Crockett: "Well, this is the 90s... hard to make an honest living when your cut on a kee of blow is less than a set of brake pads"

:)

(348s are also still much more affordable than TRs these days. For somebody who has the means, you'd be looking at no more than $70K for a halfway decent one)

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Daytona74 said:

(348s are also still much more affordable than TRs these days. For somebody who has the means, you'd be looking at no more than $70K for a halfway decent one)

I was looking at prices for TR's like three years back and could have gotten fairly low mileage cars for 40-50K Euros. Meanwhile they have trippled and I want to kick myself for not having bought one.... For me - regardless of MV - when the TR was introduced, it was the most outstanding and stunning car on the market, it was so powerful, distinctivly shaped and expensive that it instantly became the dream car of me and all my buddies and we put posters of it on the walls of our rooms. The 348 is nice but in essence a sort of an OEM knock-off of the the real thing, however I wouldn't mind owning either of them. The thing with those cars is not the purchase price though, which may be quite alluring, but the maintenance cost. On a TR, an engine overhaul costs 25K, and to just change the water pump, you have to uninstall the whole engine. The regular annual service will cost you around 2.5K. And that's to own a car that is beaten by an ordinary  2016 Volkswagen Golf R on the 0-60 nowadays....

So I think it requires a loooooot of enthusiasm and financial dedication to actually own a Ferrari, let alone getting a thumbs up from the wife.

Edited by daytona365

vor 14 Minuten schrieb daytona365:

The 348 is nice but in essence a sort of an OEM knock-off of the the real thing, however I wouldn't mind owning either of them.

I do like the Testarossa, but I think the 348 has a slightly more "everyday-friendly" design. You'll also probably get a lot less people wanting to take selfies... :)

I don't know... what kind of monthly income do you have to have to realistically afford running a Testarossa, or a 348, if it's not just going to collect dust in a garage and you want to get some use out of it... I remember seeing a guy on TV ten years ago with a 90s Ferrari, and he said you were looking at upwards of $15K a month... but that was ten years ago. If you are looking at 25 grand for an engine out service, then that money certainly has to come from somewhere...

Edited by Daytona74

@Prova85 Care comment on this "monthly cost" info? I need a goal :) 

32 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

I don't know... what kind of monthly income do you have to have to realistically afford running a Testarossa, or a 348, if it's not just going to collect dust in a garage and you want to get some use out of it... I remember seeing a guy on TV ten years ago with a 90s Ferrari, and he said you were looking at upwards of $15K a month... but that was ten years ago. If you are looking at 25 grand for an engine out service, then that money certainly has to come from somewhere...

Assuming that TR is great in any color,I would go for the white.

Anyway, regular white TR generally come with blue interiors, which I don't like. Black ones come with cream interiors. That's why the MV car has them cream colored.

As far as the 348, I've been searching for one years ago, white of course. Prices are anyway high and the very few white ones are even more expensive because owners know they are rare. Owners also know *why* one is looking for that color: cause you are an addicted to a certain 80s TV show. And - as an addicted - you make deals with the devil to put your hands on such an item... ;-)

and the 348 just isn't the kind of road going battleship as the Testarossa... from the looks of it, you'll have a car a bit above "pocket rocket" size, but which doesn't get you quite all the jealous looks at the gas station... (while it's really you who is jealous at the 40 mpg of the guy with the brand new Passat TDI next to you :))

Edited by Daytona74

That is a pretty cool color combo, Dadrian... :thumbsup:

My "daily driver", an old Audi A4, has the same... dark blue (ming blue pearl effect LZ5L), also with cream leather seats...

My vote is White for the Testarossa ........but the real question is : which car do we like?

My vote would be the Black Daytona. :thumbsup:  To me the Testarossa is too flamboyant.

I love seeing the black Daytona stealthy zooming through the wet streets of Miami at night with "In the Air Tonight" playing... much more cool than the Testarossa. :radio: :cool:

• Like 2

Just now, Tony D. said:

My vote is White for the Testarossa ........but the real question is : which car do we like?

My vote would be the Black Daytona. :thumbsup:  To me the Testarossa is too flamboyant.

I love seeing the black Daytona stealthy zooming through the wet streets of Miami at night with "In the Air Tonight" playing... much more cool than the Testarossa. :radio: :cool:

The Daytona was way too cramped and would've probably driven Crockett and Tubbs nuts. I didn't get to sit in the Testarossa, but it's way too low. It's about as tall as my waistline and I'm 5'10"!

1 minute ago, codemaster94 said:

The Daytona was way too cramped and would've probably driven Crockett and Tubbs nuts. I didn't get to sit in the Testarossa, but it's way too low. It's about as tall as my waistline and I'm 5'10"!

Hey, they rode the Daytona all the way to the Everglades!!  ;)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tony D. said:

I drove my Daytona home on a 12 hour drive, and it was not cramped at all. I fit fine in mine and I'm 6 ft , whereas DJ is around 5'9" so he would have had no worries on legroom. But with a tight suspension you do feel bumps as you sit very low to the road.

vor 48 Minuten schrieb Tony D.:

According to Google Maps, that's barely a 100 mile drive... you can do that in a Fiat 500... ;)

That said, my two-seater MG F is probably more crammed than any C3 based Daytona. It was built for the average 5'9, 170 lb Brit. If, like me, you're any taller than that, you will be sitting crouched behind the steering wheel the whole time, or you will have the top of the windshield frame right at the center of your field of vision. And yet, I have gone on 250-mile drives in it with few problems... besides the need to thoroughly stretch afterwards... :p

• Like 2

I don't know how loose it is in a Daytona replica, but in the for real GTB/4 Daytona Coupe, it was very small. Sitting in it was fine. It was the getting out part that I had my trouble. I'm a pretty skinny 200lb 5'10" guy and I had trouble getting in and out (moreso out because of my long legs).

1 hour ago, codemaster94 said:

I thought you were referring to the Daytona replica, which is a C3-based chassis. In the replica Daytona (really a Vette) there is pretty good leg room that Crockett would have enjoyed, though it is a bit tight sideways. But as DJ is smaller than me, should have been pretty comfortable for him. There is a scene where Crockett is hunched down in his seat, obviously pushing his legs way forward so I can tell he has room. What I also like about the replicar seating is that it is more cock-pit like, sitting slightly reclining.

45 minutes ago, codemaster94 said:

I don't know how loose it is in a Daytona replica, but in the for real GTB/4 Daytona Coupe, it was very small. Sitting in it was fine. It was the getting out part that I had my trouble. I'm a pretty skinny 200lb 5'10" guy and I had trouble getting in and out (moreso out because of my long legs).

Yeah I have not sat in the real deal either so I can't compare.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1