The Perez Family Miami Locations

miamijimf

Where in Coral Gables was this scene filmed?  I am close but haven't found the exact spot yet.  Sorry for the screencap quality.

PDVD_00hh6.jpg

PDVD_00po0.jpg

PDVD_002.jpg

PDVD_007.jpg

• Like 1

tough one ... 

The white house in last picture looks expensive, also not a typical Miami style.  It's unusual that there is such a large open field right next to these houses.  Most of Miami's expensive neighborhoods are crowded.

11 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Where in Coral Gables was this scene filmed?  I am close but haven't found the exact spot yet.  Sorry for the screencap quality.

PDVD_00hh6.jpg

PDVD_00po0.jpg

PDVD_002.jpg

PDVD_007.jpg

You see those types of trees in Coconut Grove a lot !

Yes I know but you guys like challenges and there is a Gables landmark in the background of one of these screencaps.

Edited by miamijimf

3 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Yes I know but you guys like challenges and there is a Gables landmark in the background of one of these screencaps.

Oh yes !

The church (Church of the Little Flower Catholic Church) from Season 5s "To Have and to Hold" teaser :done::fireworks:

Edited by Matt5

4 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Oh yes the church from Season 5s "To Have and to Hold" teaser :done::fireworks:

No this landmark was not in Vice but it should have been.  It's a large building for the neighborhood that my friends and I thought was haunted when we were kids because we thought we saw a figure near the top and the light went on and off.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, miamijimf said:

No this landmark was not in Vice but it should have been.  It's a large building for the neighborhood that my friends and I thought was haunted when we were kids because we thought we saw a figure near the top and the light went on and off.

Kind of looks a little like that church opposite The Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables :fireworks:

1 hour ago, miamijimf said:

Good guess Matt but that's not it.  Here is a pic of what I see in the background of one of those screencaps.

From the URL, that seems to be the Coral Gables Water Tower.  In which picture do you see it?

That white house in the last pic looks Colonial style, two-stories, with shutters, not Mediterranean and not very Miami-ish.  It should jump out at us if we're looking in the correct area.

It is the Alhambra Water Tower (designed by George Merrick to look like a lighthouse).  Here is the screencap.  This would put the scene at the W. end of the Granada Golf Course that has a lot of banyan trees.  This would explain the open green spaces.  The water tower would be visible from the golf course with no obstacles.  Houses come and go and so do trees but I know there are still plenty of banyan trees there.  If you Google Earth streetview along N. Greenway Dr. you will see lots of fabulous houses of all descriptions that go back to the heyday of the Gables.  Also this is not too far from where the other scenes were filmed.

PDVD_007.jpg

PDVD_007.jpg

Edited by miamijimf

9 hours ago, airtommy said:

I don't see the water tower.  Where in the picture is it?

It's not real clear but can be see just above and to the right of Angelica Huston's head.

• Like 1

Thanks for the like Tom.  Here's another from The Perez Family, 1995.  These screen caps are in sequence with the film.  Felipe is first seen in an alleyway.  He takes a left and walks down to a cafe.  Exactly where is the cafe located?  (This requires using streetview on one of several satellite sites and a little thinking.)  If I'm right it is about 1 block east of where we see Sonny/Tubbs meet Castillo in Season One's Golden Triangle, Part 1.

PDVD_first.jpg

PDVD_000.jpg

PDVD_001.jpg

PDVD_002.jpg

PDVD_003.jpg

PDVD_004.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/02/2017 at 2:41 AM, miamijimf said:

Good guess Matt but that's not it.  Here is a pic of what I see in the background of one of those screencaps.

Coral-Gables-water-tower.jpg

Looks great Jim - thanks for posting !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Thanks for the like Tom.  Here's another from The Perez Family, 1995.  These screen caps are in sequence with the film.  Felipe is first seen in an alleyway.  He takes a left and walks down to a cafe.  Exactly where is the cafe located?  (This requires using streetview on one of several satellite sites and a little thinking.)  If I'm right it is about 1 block east of where we see Sonny/Tubbs meet Castillo in Season One's Golden Triangle, Part 1.

PDVD_first.jpg

PDVD_000.jpg

PDVD_001.jpg

PDVD_002.jpg

PDVD_003.jpg

PDVD_004.jpg

Great photos of that time !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Here's another from The Perez Family, 1995.  These screen caps are in sequence with the film.  Felipe is first seen in an alleyway.  He takes a left and walks down to a cafe.  Exactly where is the cafe located?  If I'm right it is about 1 block east of where we see Sonny/Tubbs meet Castillo in Season One's Golden Triangle, Part 1.

PDVD_002.jpg

I think you're exactly right. The cafe was on the SE corner of Calle Ocho & SW 14th Ave.  The building with the slanted red tile roof that we see in this photo is now gone and was replaced by a McDonald's.  You can see the slanted red tile roof in the 2005 sat pic at historicaerials.com .

The cafe doesn't have seating now.  The kid pushes his cart along the east side of this building before he gets to Calle Ocho.  There are still murals on the building wall today, but they're different.

• Like 1