Pilot Episode

Vicefan7777

Hello Vice family.  I just re watched the pilot which launched the series.  I was reminded all over again why this is such a fun series.  It really took me back to my youth when I was single and healthy.  The show has class!!  The music, dialog, locations, the vibe of Miami and the 80s culture.  FUN!  FUN! FUN!  The line when Crockett asks Tubbs if he was in Miami to work on his tan had me bust a gut with laughter. In fact there was a lot of funny dialog.  This show premiered during my last year in college and Friday night date night always began AFTER watching Miami Vice.  There was a tv lounge in my dormitory and it was packed each week to watch the show that defined the 80s. These MTV cops made a splash on the small screen and we watched.  Thank you to whoever was responsible for creating this website so we all could go back in time to enjoy our love for this series. :thumbsup:

• Like 7

Yes that first episode was a blast! The thing that got me the most of all after two hours of bliss was the remarkable ending.

The fact that the bad guys got away and the good guys were standing at the docks with jaws dropped, made me think at the time" It can't be over..........this is NOT how cop shows end.....why did they not get the bad guys?

This changed television forever!

The wise cracks were good but subtle. You had to pay attention as it was well written and intelligent.  Not like the "cookie cutter" shows of that era.

• Like 2

Unfortunately a lot of that humor and witty conversing got lost over the seasons. Which doesnt mean the other direction was bad. It shows though that they were going for a quite a different show at the beginning - it did follow a bit of the classical cop show formula IMO. With the other lieutenant and all. But man it was fast paced....great scripts with major twists...and very intense acting/emotional scenes. All of the early episodes had that actually. In retrospect it looks like they were going a bit overboard with that in order to ensure syncdication and pick-up of the show...?

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
9 hours ago, Dadrian said:

“It’s a ripoff” :) 

Like Corky, I guess they had profit margins to consider. :tasse:

Edited by OCBman
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

I have a memory of reading that Don Johnson actually came up with idea to drop his glasses so Sonny would see the bomb under the car. I guess they had not worked out a reason Sonny would be looking from such a low angle.

Anyone else hear that, or am I so high I need clearance to land?:hippie:

Edited by fakespyder
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, fakespyder said:

I have a memory of reading that Don Johnson actually came up with idea to drop his glasses so Sonny would see the bomb under the car. I guess they had not worked out a reason Sonny would be looking from such a low angle.

Anyone else hear that, or am I so high I need clearance to land?:hippie:

From Yerkovich's script:

image.thumb.jpeg.dfa05fc115f384219d45f89ba0e187a0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

1984 photos of the enormous 2,300 capacity dance floor at Club Z in the old Cinema Theater building on Miami Beach.  Also seen in Knock Knock, Who’s There?,  Death and the Lady, Honor Among Thieves, and Deliver Us From Evil. 

355709591_334713938879961_6384757414265437894_n.jpg.b6f2b5083d2ec00d0e3e5e03c4eb47db.jpg

Crowd waiting for entrance.

358537761_341826538168701_1918217885602295615_n.jpg.7acd4a8a4657727d285dbf151ec8dca6.jpg

359705101_341826151502073_1180107852325677098_n.jpg.e746e4df20b53033f3825466773447fb.jpg

• Like 7

• 8 months later...

The original VHS cover art of the Pilot has an odd, almost 70ies feeling. For those who never saw the VHS release the best coverart image I could find is the German version. But the Ozzy version had the same artwork albeit in english:

I must have rented out the store copy a dozen times:)

vhs.jpg

• Like 9

On 2/11/2017 at 5:23 PM, Stinger390X said:

Yes that first episode was a blast! The thing that got me the most of all after two hours of bliss was the remarkable ending.

The fact that the bad guys got away and the good guys were standing at the docks with jaws dropped, made me think at the time" It can't be over..........this is NOT how cop shows end.....why did they not get the bad guys?

The wise cracks were good but subtle. You had to pay attention as it was well written and intelligent.  Not like the "cookie cutter" shows of that era.

It certainly did, in something like Magnum PI they would all be sipping tea on Higgins lawn saying what a great job they all did catching the bad guys. Spielberg endings.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 7

• Administrators
On 2/11/2017 at 8:23 PM, Stinger390X said:

That's one of the things that I love about this show. The good guys don't always win.  I also remember one of the episodes where Tubbs was keeping someone on the phone to try and trace the call.  How many times have we watched a TV show and they always say "the call wasn't long enough, we lost them"  Then Tubbs smiles and says "We got it!"

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

I also remember one of the episodes where Tubbs was keeping someone on the phone to try and trace the call.  How many times have we watched a TV show and they always say "the call wasn't long enough, we lost them"  Then Tubbs smiles and says "We got it!"

Yes! One Way Ticket after receiving one of the “anonymous” tips. 

• Like 4