The way "Heart of Night" ended

mirrorimageegamirorrim

I've always found the way this episode ended to be exceptionally sad (but beautiful).  Purely in terms of the story, Mae Ying's motivation for walking away from a relationship with Castillo does not make sense.  It was obvious they loved each other and he greatly wanted her back in his life so it would be difficult to make the case that she was worried about another betrayal.  I really feel the reason it didn't happen is because the show's producers didn't want an attached Castillo.  Maybe they felt it would have clashed with the character they had developed. I think they could have made it work, though.  All that would have been required was one more, very brief, cameo appearance by Mae Ying and then maybe one or two verbal references to her, spread throughout the remaining episodes.  For example, they could have simply shown her leaving Castillo's office as C&T were entering it. As a verbal reference, just have Tubbs ask in passing "Hey Lieutenant, you still enjoying married life?". This alone would have sold the idea that they were truly together and satisfied story continuity while not placing any undue emphasis on her which could distract from the primary stories they wanted to tell.  Given how easy this would have been I am convinced they felt they needed to keep Castillo single.  I admit the decision did add even more "edge" to a guy who was already exceedingly intense, and the sadness of it fit well in the overall Vice mood.  However, they should have better explained her decision to walk.               

Edited by mirrorimageegamirorrim
  • Like 3

Not that it matters, but the originally scripted ending had Castillo and May Ying parting ways during the day, with Castillo leaving first. This was changed to the broadcast ending, with May Ying walking away from Castillo in the evening.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Am 15.2.2017 um 13:29 schrieb mvnyc:

Not that it matters, but the originally scripted ending had Castillo and May Ying parting ways during the day, with Castillo leaving first. This was changed to the broadcast ending, with May Ying walking away from Castillo in the evening.

Correct. And it was supposed to take place on a beach.