This Week In Miami Vice History

mvnyc

February 17th - 24th:

"The Maze", the 17th episode of the 1st season, premiered on NBC on Friday, February 22nd, 1985 at 10PM EST. Some notes on this episode (from Miami Vice Wiki):
* The Maze building is the old Blue Waters Hotel, it was demolished in May of 1987.
* When Switek and Zito come out of the store with their Fanta drinks and food, you can see the advertisement of the then-hit movie "Mischief" on the marquee, which featured Terry O'Quinn from the episode "Little Prince."
* This episode marks the only time a member of the main cast sings one of their own songs in Miami Vice (Philip Michael Thomas sings his song "Livin' The Book Of My Life"). Don Johnson had two songs used on the show, but both appeared in the background (although Olivia Brown did perform her spoken lines from Johnson's "Streetwise" in the episode of the same name and Saundra Santiago sang two jazz standards in the episode "Heroes Of The Revolution").

"French Twist", the 17th episode of the 2nd season, premiered on NBC on Friday, February 21st, 1986 at 10PM EST. Some notes on this episode (from Miami Vice Wiki):
* The Blue Waters Hotel was again used for this episode, as it was for season 1's "The Maze."
* Tubbs mentions that Danielle works for the Deuxième Bureau in France, when in fact that organization was dissolved in 1940 after the occupation of France by Germany.

"The Afternoon Plane", the 17th episode of the 3rd season, premiered on NBC on Friday, February 20th, 1987 at 9PM EST. Some notes on this episode (from Miami Vice Wiki):
* This episode marks the final appearance of the Calderones in Miami Vice. Tubbs' son (whom he fathered with Angelina), was presumed killed in the Calderones' last appearance, but actually survived. His fate is never revealed, except that Tubbs believes him to be dead. Presumably this is a result of the show's producers not wanting to burden Tubbs with a child, for fear of limiting his input in storylines.
* Except for Crockett's brief appearance at the opening, Tubbs is the only Miami Vice star to appear in this episode.
* The episode mentions several times that Tubbs killed Orlando's father Esteban, when it was actually Crockett that shot him down. It is possible that Orlando assumes Tubbs was responsible, based on his vendetta with Esteban following the death of his brother.
* Philip Michael Thomas injured himself jumping off a veranda in this episode and can be seen limping in several scenes. To explain this, it is briefly mentioned in the opening that Tubbs twisted his ankle after slipping in the shower.
* During the climatic gunfight, Alicia can be seen trying to put the gun's magazine in backward, but then corrects it.

"Baseballs Of Death", the 14th episode of the 4th season, premiered on NBC on Friday, February 19th, 1988 at 9PM EST. Some notes on this episode (from Miami Vice Wiki):
* In this episode, the problem of CBUs (more commonly known as Cluster Bombs) being used in foreign wars is explored. They were used in the Vietnam War in the 1960s and 1970s, the Iran-Iraq war, the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in the 1980s and in the War on Terror (in Iraq and Afghanistan) in the 2000s. The main controversy regarding their use is the fact that many do not detonate when dropped. For years after a conflict, they can maim and kill people who either inadvertently step on them, or pick them up and handle them.
* When this episode aired back in 1988, cell phones were able to be monitored by police scanners. With the new 3G, 4G, and CDMA technologies now, this is no longer possible.
* Switek refers to the "Pizza Connection" case in New York, which was a large Mafia trial that lasted from 1985-87 and resulted in fifteen convictions.
* The arms embargo against Chile lasted until 1989, however Crockett references Jimmy Carter as the President who stopped the arms shipments. In actuality, it was Gerald Ford who stopped them in 1976.
* The stunt with the speedboat jumping the tug and grounding on the island is one of the most spectacular ones in all five seasons of the series, particularly since it was all done before the use of computer generated imagery.
* During the boat chase at the end of the episode, Crockett's SCARAB powerboat changes back to his old Stinger from Season 1 in several shots.

**There was no Season Five premiere episode this week**

• Like 1

Although "The Maze" isn't the best or most memorable episode of Season 1, I still did found it interesting, second time, I watched it. There were much suspense on how the situation was going to turn out with the hostages. Nice to hear PMT show his musical talent. They could have made an episode with Don Johnson singing live too...

I really liked his song "Streetwise." 

Of the episodes that aired this week, I always thought "Baseballs Of Death" was a decent effort, given it was in Season Five. The other three episodes were not among my favorites, but to each, his or her own, I guess :) 

"The Maze" was one of the weaker episodes of season one. It just didn't really work...

"The Afternoon Plane" was also a weak season three episode. I just watched it again recently and it just didn't do anything for me.

I haven't seen this episode in quite a while, but I remember that boat chase scene and remember giggling a little because it looked like they were going about 150 mph at the end.  :)  

21 hours ago, summer84 said:

Although "The Maze" isn't the best or most memorable episode of Season 1, I still did found it interesting, second time, I watched it. There were much suspense on how the situation was going to turn out with the hostages. Nice to hear PMT show his musical talent. They could have made an episode with Don Johnson singing live too...

I really liked his song "Streetwise." 

Ha ha ! yes that could of worked - of course DJ also performed "No Way Out " in the Series finale , Freefall, and although it appears on at least one MV best of collection - Heartbeat from 1986 did not appear in an episode.:fireworks:

• Like 1