Unique Intro

Den Taylor

Once thing that occured to me that made MV unique too was the intro. I don't think there was any TV show around that time or before that didn't feature the actors or scenes of the series. Do you know of any? I guess the way the intro sequence rolled off made it already appear more like a movie. Some of the pictures used there are remarkable and go well with Jan's theme....and some not so great IMO.

I am wondering what an alternate intro would have looked like if it went like a regular TV show intro....showing Crockett, Tubbs, Switek, Castillo etc with the credits. And some cool action scenes in between. What scenes from these actors could have been used best that basically summed them up in 2 or 3 seconds? Maybe one of these days somebody will do that and post the result on youtube. :D

Edited by Den Taylor
  • Like 4

I think, that most TV shows at the time had actors featured in the opening, although there are exceptions.

The first that came to mind was the comedy show "Cheers." The others I "searched". :)

"Growing Pains" 1985 - 1982

and "Mash" 1972 - 1983 Though the second one did change their intro to showing actors in the course of the shows run. 

I liked the intro Miami Vice had, but also wondered how it would have looked in the traditional way... 

Edited by summer84

"Growing pains" I believe only in Season 1 had this opening with a photo of the whole family at the end, still I think it counts:

It was mentioned by someone in the YouTube comments that "Castle/Bryant Motion Design is the same people that did the opening credits to Cheers!", hence the similarity.

There wasn't a list, but I looked up 80s TV shows and the intro of those I wasn't certain of and you had already posted "Taxi." :)

Edited by summer84

53 minutes ago, Jerry B. said:

Bob James, Fender Rhodes etc...

Yes! From the magnificent album "Touchdown". Eric Gale's amazing guitar solo is the centerpiece of that song for me, though. 

16 hours ago, summer84 said:

I think, that most TV shows at the time had actors featured in the opening, although there are exceptions.

The first that came to mind was the comedy show "Cheers." The others I "searched". :)

"Growing Pains" 1985 - 1982

and "Mash" 1972 - 1983 Though the second one did change their intro to showing actors in the course of the shows run. 

I liked the intro Miami Vice had, but also wondered how it would have looked in the traditional way... 

Very cool loved the Cheers opening and the theme song was great ! @summer84

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

More than you ever wanted to know about the Cheers title sequence:

https://fontsinuse.com/uses/5067/cheers-logo-and-opening-titles

This gets to the point of why it's rare not to see the cast in the intro:  “The network hated it. They wanted to see the cast, not something that represented the cast.”  The suits want it that way.  They've always felt that promoting stars is the most profitable route to high ratings.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Zitat

They've always felt that promoting stars is the most profitable route to high ratings.

And they're probably right about that. There are a lot of cool intros with the actors and scenes and I don't think they would have been as exciting without them, Think of the A-Team intro or Magnum. Or The Fall Guy. Latter was pretty unique too though because it used real movie scenes in between (alluding to Colt Seaver's stuntman job, as if he had featured in those movies). I think I will post it here, I just can't resist (love the song!) *grin*

Other classic intros and shows from the 80s that I like are Simon & Simon and Riptide. :o)

Anyhoo, I'm still wondering as to ideal scenes to introduce the actors. I'm thinking Crockett on his boat, maybe at night. And Tubbs when he is talking to Angelina on the island and being real charming. Castillo just in his office (giving one of his mean stares). Stan and Larry in the van. Trudy and Gina maybe out on the Streets, undercover as hookers. (They did that so many times that it would fit I think). And of course Izzy should be included too! Maybe strolling around being his goofy self. :D or when he is trying to sell something (like those VCRs in Made for each other).

p.s.: Gosh, that Taxi intro was boring! (minus the music)

Edited by Den Taylor

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Den Taylor said:

And they're probably right about that. There are a lot of cool intros with the actors and scenes and I don't think they would have been as exciting without them, Think of the A-Team intro or Magnum. Or The Fall Guy. Latter was pretty unique too though because it used real movie scenes in between (alluding to Colt Seaver's stuntman job, as if he had featured in those movies). I think I will post it here, I just can't resist (love the song!) *grin*

Other classic intros and shows from the 80s that I like are Simon & Simon and Riptide. :o)

Anyhoo, I'm still wondering as to ideal scenes to introduce the actors. I'm thinking Crockett on his boat, maybe at night. And Tubbs when he is talking to Angelina on the island and being real charming. Castillo just in his office (giving one of his mean stares). Stan and Larry in the van. Trudy and Gina maybe out on the Streets, undercover as hookers. (They did that so many times that it would fit I think). And of course Izzy should be included too! Maybe strolling around being his goofy self. :D or when he is trying to sell something (like those VCRs in Made for each other).

5 hours ago, Den Taylor said:

I liked the Fall Guy. Watching the Six Milllion Dollar Man now with Lee Majors.

On 19/02/2017 at 5:17 AM, airtommy said:

More than you ever wanted to know about the Cheers title sequence:

https://fontsinuse.com/uses/5067/cheers-logo-and-opening-titles

This gets to the point of why it's rare not to see the cast in the intro:  “The network hated it. They wanted to see the cast, not something that represented the cast.”  The suits want it that way.  They've always felt that promoting stars is the most profitable route to high ratings.

Very interesting ! Thanks for posting !

Am 4.3.2017 um 19:22 schrieb Dadrian:

@Den Taylor You probably enjoyed the end credits from "Heart of Darkness", right?

Yes, I did! Just had to rewatch that now. (How horrible, right? xD) That comes close to what I have in mind. Thinking about it - how come they didn't keep this up for the other episodes' end credits? A lot of other TV series did this kind of "best scenes" summary. And it was always a joy to watch. :) (And a smart way to get people to stick around for the end credits)

• Like 1