Shadows in the Dark

Den Taylor

I just watched this episode again and I have to voice some criticism. Because to me for almost the entire episode I didn't see the threat. Sure, the music is great and suspenseful and the acting by Don and that other detective gone crazy is quite convincing too - but for what? Because the guy smears some flour on his face and takes steaks out of fridges? Ok, breaking and entering is a crime but this almost felt ridiculous.....
I understand that the guy was built up to be some psychpathic murderer aka murder was supposed to be the crime he was ultimately leaping towards but to be honest - the guy also could have leaped towards something like just exposing himself or whatever. Or not leap towards anything. I mean seriously, the guy was whack so he just as well might have been...well...whack without being a murderer or whatever. If they would have had him kill at least one person or do something really cruel/brutal at the beginning of the episode then that would have worked for me - as to why they all get so worked up and why Crockett puts pretty much everything on the line. But this way it didn't really work for me.....quite a shame too, I had high epectations when I was going to watch this again seeing that I love Jan's theme for this.
Having said that, it would have been nice if they had included at least one "normal" song just like with most other episodes - instead of using Jans theme the whole time. I'm sure there would have been a few fitting songs...

Apparently a lot of people here love this episode (?) so you may bash me now....*ducks and covers*

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Den Taylor said:

I just watched this episode again and I have to voice some criticism. Because to me for almost the entire episode I didn't see the threat.

Interesting thoughts on this. I thought that over time the police concluded from his drawings that he was getting closer to attacking or at least confronting the homeowners, and in the final scene the Shadow does have a knife and was going to attack the woman. The Shadow was just creepy enough, at least to me, that I thought it was just a matter of time before he was going to attack someone as well but there was real suspense in not knowing what he may do next.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 2

Den Taylor I believe no one in the vice family would "bash" you for not liking any episode.  We all have our favorites and also have episodes we do not like.  I personally enjoyed the suspense of the Shadow.  To me he was just plain creepy.  But I can understand your points.  

• Like 1

Thanks Vicefan7777, I was pretty much teasing with the bash comment ;-)  This is a really nice community from what I have seen so far and I enjoy writing here. :o)

One thing that occurred to me...The creep left this weird drawing on the wall of that one house he broke in early in the show and which they were investigating. Apparently he drew with his blood? Crockett takes a sample from it and licks it off his finger (which I thought was really weird behaviour not just by him but would be by any cop - and kinda unprofessional?). If that was really his blood then that could explain why Crockett got linked up to him - metaphyiscally if you will. Kinda like this blood brothers thing where its said you take on the blood and kind of of the spirit from the other person. So Crockett knew what the guy was really up to because he could literally feel it...?

Edited by Den Taylor

35 minutes ago, Den Taylor said:

One thing that occurred to me...The creep left this weird drawing on the wall of that one house he broke in early in the show and which they were investigating. Apparently he drew with his blood? Crockett takes a sample from it and licks it off his finger (which I thought was really weird behaviour not just by him but would be by any cop - and kinda unprofessional?). If that was really his blood then that could explain why Crockett got linked up to him - metaphyiscally if you will. Kinda like this blood brothers thing where its said you take on the blood and kind of of the spirit from the other person. So Crockett knew what the guy was really up to because he could literally feel it...?

Wasn't it lipstick?

• Like 1

lol, it was? So Crockett is into tasting lipsticks? Oh yeah, he probably is.... *grin* (but that would kind of prove my point how non-threatening the episode is when it could have/should have been more than that)

• Administrators
On February 18, 2017 at 0:30 AM, Vicefan7777 said:

Den Taylor I believe no one in the vice family would "bash" you for not liking any episode.  We all have our favorites and also have episodes we do not like.  I personally enjoyed the suspense of the Shadow.  To me he was just plain creepy.  But I can understand your points.  

No one will bash you for not liking an episode, but I will ban you for liking Miracle Man! :D

• Like 3

From the writer's perspective, I think the real threat in this episode was meant to be the ability of the intruder to get inside the cops' heads. Crockett became the victim, so in essence, the viewer becomes the victim, as Crockett is meant to be the primary object of empathy. 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I kinda liked Miracle Man too. (whoops)
What I find the funniest - and I only noticed this becaue I recently watched this episode - is that the same actor played Silva in Junk Love. Miracle Man indeed!
(Quite a transformation you know...)