Toy Nostalgia

ArtieRollins

9 hours ago, James said:

Yes! All of these, except the Nindento 64. We had a Sega and then we got a PS1. 

We also had a Sega, but it was just a controller with cables plugged into the Television. And later on another one of Nintendo's consoles "Nintendo GameCube," which I also kept. Basically all of Nintendo's releases. Never owned a PlayStation, I guess it was because Nintendo became our favourite console (or maybe mine) since it was, what we grew up with as kids and our first console, so it kind of stuck with us.

QXTv6Le.jpg

sA3jD8o.pngThis too! Though I didn't play on it that much.

And the more girly stuff like barbies, dolls and stuffed animals. :) My favourite stuffed animal was a bunny.

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tony D. said:

I still have my daughter's pogs....our grandson & grand daughter play with them now!

Cool! Wish I still had those and the jojo's as a keepsake. Although I'm glad for the childhood toys, I kept.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

This was a toy set that made me want to become an architect.

lincoln.jpg.bb1702e7e6277c772c2aabb8d595

lincoln.jpg

I have the Lincoln logs. They were fun to build with.

• Administrators
On February 21, 2017 at 11:46 AM, Vicefan7777 said:

This was a toy set that made me want to become an architect.

lincoln.jpg.bb1702e7e6277c772c2aabb8d595

lincoln.jpg

I had one of those too.  I seem to recall there were parts for making a roof though.

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, Tony D. said:

Yes, green flat pieces for the roof.

Yep, you're right. I remember that now. Thanks.

• Administrators
On 22/02/2017 at 1:54 AM, ArtieRollins said:

My very first game consule was an old 80s Sega, that I got from my older cousin, and it came along with several car related games, were one just drove, and drove for hours through deserts and towards what looked like a futuristic city, but you never seemed to catch up with it. The other one really annoyed the living crap out of me, as I loved the movie Ghostbusters (1984), but the video game was really weird, where one would just drive around in the city and did not really know what too do, as back then you coulden't just type in what you were wondering about, and have several tons of HQ videos on Youtube, explaining it down to the smallest detail.

PS1 was huge, and it really killed off Super Nintendo and Sega when it arrived. Of course Grand Theft Auto (1996) was a big favorite, but I always loved the platform/adventure games such as Spyro The Dragon 1-3 that really had some impressive graphics and beautiful levels/worlds, and a classy soundtrack done by none other than Stewart Copeland of The Police. I could spend several hours just listening to the music alone. Sadly the game series did not reach the same quality when it tried to bounce over from PS1 to PS2 around 2000-01, and even with big names such as Gary Oldman and Eliah Wood lending their voices to the characters in the game, it was never quite the same. But the platform games did survive with style, as Jak and Dexter, Ratchet and Clank and Sly Cooper popped up around 2001-2002 and really were great looking adventures/action games that was fun for both kids and grown ups.

PS1 was amazing. I remember spending hours upon hours playing GTA2, Driver 2, Formula 1, NFS High Stakes... Ahh... Didn't really play Spyro much, I was a Crash Bandicoot kid. Got the first 3 and that Mario Kart style game they done called Crash Team Racing. 

GTA 2 was my first GTA when it came out in 1999. I always liked the retro-modern theme they went with. All the cars and styling was sort of retro-punk. Kind of like that movie Streets of Fire, where the music was modern, but the styling and cars used were from the 50s. I thought that was awesome, still do. 

I remember when the Atari 2600 came out.  It was the first major home video game system.  It was cool to be able to play games for free as long as you wanted, but the games (like Pac-Man and Tennis) were so bad it's hard to describe.  Even the sound effects were awful.  Granted, this was right in the middle of the golden age of video arcades, so it was a tough comparison.

atari2600.jpg

OK, here is what I mean.  Absolutely terrible!

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, airtommy said:

I remember when the Atari 2600 came out.  It was the first major home video game system.  It was cool to be able to play games for free as long as you wanted, but the games (like Pac-Man and Tennis) were so bad it's hard to describe.  Even the sound effects were awful.  Granted, this was right in the middle of the golden age of video arcades, so it was a tough comparison.

atari2600.jpg

Boy do I remember the Christmas when my two brothers and I  got this system as a group present.  .  We played it so much that one of us broke a controller within 2 weeks.  Fortunately, my Uncle Bob was able to put it back together..  My favorite game was Tank Attack.  

• Like 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, airtommy said:

atari2600.jpg

The Atari 2600 itself was a decent system. That port of Pac Man is known for being horrible. I think it's rated as being one of the worst video games of all time. Worse than that E.T. game on the Atari 2600.

• Like 1

• Administrators
16 hours ago, airtommy said:

atari2600.jpg

I still have mine in the attic somewhere. Pac Man was the first game my brother and I had.

17 hours ago, James said:

The Atari 2600 itself was a decent system. That port of Pac Man is known for being horrible. I think it's rated as being one of the worst video games of all time. Worse than that E.T. game on the Atari 2600.

LOL, I didn't know that.  I pretty much judged the 2600 on the Pacman game alone.  For those who don't know, the E.T. game is legendary:

"E.T. is often cited as one of the worst video games of all time and one of the biggest commercial failures in video game history. The game's commercial failure and resulting effects on Atari are frequently cited as a contributing factor to the video game industry crash of 1983."

There's an entire Wikipedia page dedicated exclusively to the topic of Atari's burial of a million unsold video game cartridges:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial

• Like 1

• Administrators
On February 24, 2017 at 1:26 PM, Vicefan7777 said:

Another toy I fondly remember.  I can still smell the aroma from the cheap transformer that got very hot! 

Lionel-Train.jpg

Wow, I have one of these exactly. We set it up every Christmas under the tree on a 4x8 sheet of plywood with a white sheet over it. I remember the smell of the transformer and recall it did get very hot. I still have it in my attic  and I bet it still works. It's probably 60 years old. 

• Like 2

This reminds me...wasn't there a Mimai Vice board game at one point somewhere?

Edit: Look what I found fellas?: a4x5c9.jpg

And this: 

2011-12-22_20-19-01_928.jpg

Edited by Assasinge
  • Like 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Assasinge said:

Edit: Look what I found fellas?: a4x5c9.jpg

Oh, don't play that. That's terrible. I got it on PS2.

19 hours ago, timm525 said:

Wow, I have one of these exactly. We set it up every Christmas under the tree on a 4x8 sheet of plywood with a white sheet over it. I remember the smell of the transformer and recall it did get very hot. I still have it in my attic  and I bet it still works. It's probably 60 years old. 

My Lionel train set is very similar..... same Gulf gas car & the locomotive is the same type but mine looks longer. I have an operating boxcar & the transformer was bought a few years later.

I have to get it out and set it up sometime.........memories!

4 hours ago, summer84 said:

I also remember many of the outdoor activities. Good memories... 

Isn't that the truth. Today's kids spend way too much time on electronic entertainment imo.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

Sadly, you're right about that part. Thankfully, I still get to go outside and play Tennis and Basketball and all those good things in the court in my neighborhood. But even I fall victim to the electronics too...

Edited by Assasinge
  • Like 1

On 28/2/2017 at 0:21 AM, Sonny-Burnett said:

Isn't that the truth. Today's kids spend way too much time on electronic entertainment imo.

Yes I agree with that. 

Edited by summer84