Wikipedia Miami Vice Hacked/Changed Pages?!

codemaster94

8 minutes ago, codemaster94 said:

Check it out. Someone needs to fix this. Look at the recent history. Someone is going around and voicing their opinion on actors that played guest stars in Miami Vice.

http://miamivice.wikia.com/wiki/Special:WikiActivity

Yup, that's straight vandalism.  Note:  this is Wikia, not Wikipedia.  I don't know how to report a vandal.  His IP address indicates he is in Austin, Texas.

1 hour ago, codemaster94 said:

Hey hey, I live in Texas pal.

I know. I did, too, for 25 years! Hence, the " :) ".

:p

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

Looks like Leigh Burne has made corrections to the vandalism, and from the logs it appears this has happened before. Seems they need to put edit controls on non-registered users to prevent this kind of abuse.

20 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

Here's the report vandalism page:

http://vstf.wikia.com/wiki/Report:Vandalism

I'd suggest a few of us do so.

I submitted this report, but it might have gotten hung up (my computer is old) and I'm not sure if it went through.

"A Fandom User" as been vandalizing the Wikia pages of various actors who appeared on Miami Vice.  Ted Nugent's page is one example http://miamivice.wikia.com/wiki/Ted_Nugent  This is his contributions page: http://miamivice.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Contributions/173.174.66.88

Somebody else should also report him as well.

Edited by airtommy

Just reported him again for multiple page vandalism and seems this D-Bag is making a nuisance of himself as well on the Wikipedia pages:

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:173.174.66.88

I suggested to the admins that non-registered/non-confirmed users be blocked from making edits on the vice wikia page.

I know what you mean as there is no confirm message when reporting vandalism and appears to hang.

I believe Leigh Burne (member here) is one of the admins/editors on that site.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

Just reported him again for multiple page vandalism and seems this D-Bag is making a nuisance of himself as well on the Wikipedia pages:

I suggested to the admins that non-registered/non-confirmed users be blocked from making edits on the vice wikia page.

I know what you mean as there is no confirm message when reporting vandalism and appears to hang.

I believe Leigh Burne (member here) is one of the admins/editors on that site.

This Wanker continues to post offensive comments and vandalize the MV wikia page so I'm trying a different tact and perhaps others in here will also.

I did an IP lookup for his IP 173.174.66.88  and it is registered to Time Warner Cable. I'm going to report this D-Bag to Time Warner at the following email addresses and give them links to his vandalism at MV Wikia and at Wikipedia as noted above. TWC may block him or take other actions.

Time Warner Email addresses: abuse@rr.com, and wbol-admin@warnerbros.com  and dnsadmin@rr.com

Here is my message:

Your User at IP address 173.174.66.88  has repeatedly vandalized the following Sites with offensive and defamatory edits designed to disrupt activity on these sites:

http://miamivice.wikia.com/wiki/Special:WikiActivity  --this is a summary of edits made by this IP address. if you click on “a Fandom User” you will see this IP address as the source of the vandalism.

--- multiple vandalisms at this site as follows:

Please Take Action against your User to BLOCK him from further Vandalizing the miamivice.wikia.com pages or the Wikipedia.org/wiki sites.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 3

This is why I am getting fed up with the entire internet.........

It's sad when idiots have to submit erroneous facts about people for "The fun of it"

I was on Springsteens page a while ago and there were all kinds of crap on there about him being homosexual and other nonsense. It was fixed pronto but why do hackers feel the need to hack Wiki-whatever. Are they stupid enough to think that readers believe the nonsense they insert as fact?

I have been on the internet since before there was one! It was called Packette and I operated it via radio waves. When internet came out I had my home made xt primed with 2meg of ram!!! (yes kiddies 2meg...not gig) It was a brave new world and I was glad to be a part of it. The free exchange of information. What will the world become? I got Keplerian data from Nasa for free to follow satellites I was tracking. I spoke to people all over the world a decade before msn, icq, or any of that stuff was prominent. Look what it's turned into now!

Well in a nutshell a bag of $hit. Fake news, bloggers who don't have the sense of a knat, and of course ISIS, ISIL or Daush or whatever they call themselves this week. What ever happened to the good intentions of the first internet?

• Like 2

I occasionally edit on the MV Wiki (used to edit a lot, but I don't have quite so much free time anymore/haven't watched Vice for ages) but I'm not an administrator there unfortunately. Only the wiki's administrators have the power to block troublesome users/lock pages that are being subjected to repeated vandalism. I have messaged one of the admins - they're definitely still around as they posted regarding Miguel Ferrer's death just recently - but so far I've had no response.

If all else fails, it's possible to message Wikia directly and request emergency adminship to deal with issues like this in the absence of any currently active admins, but I don't really want to go over the head of the guy who runs the wiki, especially as I'm not an especially frequent editor any more.

For now I can just keep undoing his work every time he does it and hopefully he'll get bored and do one.

Edited by Leigh Burne
  • Like 4

Good for you for making the corrections but sadly that is exactly what the individual wants!

I just wish people would leave well enough alone and respect the work that goes into research and putting information for all to see on the web. I hope your corrections stay the course and are not hacked again.

• Like 1

Just checked and it appears the Admins have blocked the Site Vandal's IP. Of course if he is creative he could continue under another IP, or by using a VPN or web based proxies.  

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 3

• 5 years later...
  • Administrators
On 2/23/2017 at 1:25 PM, Stinger390X said:

This is why I am getting fed up with the entire internet.........

It's sad when idiots have to submit erroneous facts about people for "The fun of it"

Well in a nutshell a bag of $hit. Fake news, bloggers who don't have the sense of a gnat, and of course ISIS, ISIL or Daush or whatever they call themselves this week. What ever happened to the good intentions of the first internet?

This is also why I don't do social media.   You look at any great invention, and you will always find someone that will sink it to it's lowest possible level. 

Obviously some internet troll with too much time on his hands that doesn't have a life.

• Like 1