Pirate Radio and the Principality of Sealand

cageyJG

4 hours ago, cageyJG said:

"Pirate Radio", of course, is a MV episode title..

And is the name of a Film about a similar topic except was based on a station operating on a ship off the coast of the UK.

Yes the movie stars Phillip Seymore Hoffman and a cast of other greats and is the true story of the ships off the coast of Britain in the 1960's that played "Rock & Roll" on numerous bandwidths both AM and Short Wave.

In Canada it was called "The Boat that Rocked" but elsewhere it was called "Pirate Radio" The story is of a bunch of misfit DJ's who played music to British and European audiences however they were in neutral waters so they got away with it. The government tried to shut them down many times and finally succeeded with a stupid bill claiming they were interfering with Marine Rescue efforts.

It's a great movie so if you get chance, check it out. There were actually many vessels on different frequencies but this story uses one ship to tell the tale.

Sadly this type of thing still goes on in modern times of using radio frequencies illegally. Back in the 60's is was innocent for playing music to an audience thirsty for this type of enterainment, but today it spouts propaganda by every right winged religious group and radial faction of almost anything. It send bitter messages and lies around the world, not like when Wolfman Jack used to play Rock and Roll back in the late 50's from a super powered station in Mexico. Airwaves are regulated for power output and frequency range but todays radicals don't follow the rules.

• Administrators

Ain't this a coincidence. I was studying Sealand and other micro-nations just last week. :p

Sealand was originally a World War II base off shore built by the UK, however - Being in international waters it was sort of built "illegally". I think they weren't allowed to build a base in international waters. After World War II it was abandoned, 20 years later it was claimed and made into a micronation, used as a base for a pirate radio station. As much as the UK hated it and tried to kick them out of there, they couldn't because it was in international waters. It was claimed legally. 

Yes it's amazing what war will do to a nation. They build things and set up agencies and train individuals all in the sake of security. Then they abandon them later.

We had a cool base here near me in Ontario. I remember it being fenced in and closed off back in the 70's and it was a big secret to what it was. They bulldozed it later on and then released the secret many years later. It was called "CAMP X" where they trained spies and saboteurs for the war effort in the 40's. The reason I was so intrigued with this place is that it had a huge set of arrays (antennas) on the grounds, and me being a radio buff, always wondered what it was for. Back in the 40's they listened to the German's and co-ordinated with Bletchley Park in England to break German Code.

There was that movie that came out last year talking about "Colossus" the computer that broke the code in 1942-43. It's amazing that they kept that a secret for decades as was the case here for Camp X which was right under our noses. Last year there was a CBC program drama all about Camp X. I only saw a few episodes and it was ok.

I suppose anything outside the 12 mile limit in the oceans of the world would be considered public waters so those concrete bunker things would be illegal? It would be cool to see one today if any have survived. Too bad they bulldozed Camp X as sadly Canada does not seem to pay tribute to it's past as other countries do. They eventually put up a stone monument on the site in Whitby Ontario, and it's now a park on the beach for the public. They also tested the Avro Arrow test planes there by the lake. Divers have tried for decades to find the test planes in the depths of Lake Ontario with no luck.  I would have loved to see all the history there.

Does anyone know if any of those things were saved over in the British seas? It would be a cool tourist attraction I would think?