MTV's Celebrity Death Match Don Johnson vs. Boy George

Daytona74

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Assasinge:

Ah, back when MTV wasn't trash. :p

You said it... MTV started going down the crapper around the time they brought out shows like Pimp My Ride... :thumbsdown:

The best days, at least for MTV Europe, were the early 90s. With people like Ray Cokes and Steve Blame.

well they actually no longer call themselves "Music Television". Just MTV. :p

To be fair, that kind of industry has become pretty difficult these days, with social media and online video. There almost isn't a point anymore of being a wholly music oriented TV channel.

Edited by Daytona74

Rock & Roll died years ago and sadly so did MTV when they started showing stupid reality tv instead of music.

We could have done with less Bevis and Butthead and The Osbornes.....................................

vor 15 Stunden schrieb Stinger390X:

Rock & Roll died years ago and sadly so did MTV when they started showing stupid reality tv instead of music.

We could have done with less Bevis and Butthead and The Osbornes.....................................

I think "The Real World" in its early days wasn't so bad. And neither was Beavis and Butthead.

But yeah, I kinda stopped watching MTV regularly circa 1996... they didn't have it at my college dorm, so I sort of lost interest.

One of the last decent shows to grace MTV was Ren & Stimpy, with the great Billy West who also voices Fry on Futurama.

Also, around 1995, I really loved The Maxx.

Seeing that video made me miss wrestling... There are still channels only dedicated to playing music like VH1. I guess MTV chose to go in a different direction with all of the reality shows... Last time I watched MTV was about two years ago and how I remember it they played music at 3 am to early in the morning. Since I just wanted to listen to music, I started switching over to VH1 and had that going in the background. And sometimes listened to the music channels radio stations. Online it was on the site Jango.com, that time when I searched for new music. 

Edited by summer84

Sadly even if a particular channel were to run videos again like a retro thing, many people would not tune in but rather put in their ear buds and listen to their ipad or cellphone for music.

Music videos are definitely a 80's thing. I remember watching John Roberts (known as JD Roberts back then) on "The New Music" on City TV out of Toronto. It was started in late 78 or early 79 and it was a weekly show regarding music which ran till 2008. They had the most amazing interviews with the artists of the day. It was years before MTV and awesome! I remember going to my favourite restaurant on Friday nights to see "Friday night videos" on NBC after the Tonight show at 12:30am. We actually made it kind of a viewing party every Friday night! These all predated MTV and it was the evolution of Music videos. It was a new world and everyone started to get on the ball!

In Canada we had "Much Music" and I remember Springsteen was a holdout for years as he did not want to do any videos of his music for any venue. Well...he finally broke out with "Dancing in the Dark" and introduced us to our new "Friend" Cortney Cox.

Do you remember they even had their own awards shows? I remember Peter Gabriel winning video of the year for his work and Dire Straits also for "money for nothing" Lots of cool videos back in those days. I remember and interview with Van Halen and David Lee Roth was joking about how the video for "Jump" only cost "600 bucks and carton of cigarettes" to make. Other bands had huge budgets and look at Michael Jackson's 18 minute "Thriller" video. It was essentially a short movie!

The only gendre today that still makes and shows Music Videos is country music and I personally am not a fan of country.

So........as I stated before....Rock & Roll is DEAD!

Edited by Stinger390X

I watch current music videos on YouTube quite often--from various genres. 

Also, VH1 Classic has 80s and 90s video shows regularly, but it's a premium channel on most carriers. 

i don't remember that episode, but it's been around 20 years or whatever since that was new. I've been watching MTV classic the last few months when they are doing they're 80s blocks. The regular mtv i mean yeah they play fresh prince reruns or teen mom. it's ...a joke. It's weird because videos are still made, i guess they are just watched on youtube.

• Like 1

@Stinger390X: Yeah... it was a different time. Television was the only way you could watch music videos back then, and to have a whole TV channel dedicated to that was just the greatest thing since sliced bread. I suspect that's also part of the real reason why MTV quit playing music videos. What's the point, if kids these days can just as easily watch anything they want, anytime they want on youtube. I think MTV has just lost a fair bit of relevance with today's young people.

We got MTV Europe at our house around 1989. That's when MTV became available on cable TV in our region. For the 16-year-old me, that was just really pretty awesome. MTV Europe was broadcast from London and was all in English (MTV then started regional channels in some European countries in the mid-90s), but that of course never bothered me... I was still learning the language at that point, so having a music video channel all in English was doubly awesome for me... :)

I spent many nights taping my favorite music videos off MTV on our family VCR... I just found one of those VHS tapes again a while ago... pretty nice time capsule... I even decorated the box and labels with a hand drawn, accurate looking MTV logo... :cool:

Funny you mentioned VHS...

I was digging through some old junk and found some old movies tapes with videos on them. Before MTV was ever aired we had a channel in Canada for movies called "Superchannel" It had no commercials, however it played music videos between movies! I have some real classics like early Kate Bush and early Vangelis. These were the first videos.  It was real nostalgic to see these again although my tapes have very poor quality now.

A little trivia for you all reading this. The very first MUSIC VIDEO was made by Mike Nesmith of the Monkees. It was actually a full length movie called "Elephant Parts and was more than a decade before MTV. Sceptics called it crap and other things and it did not do well on television. Decades later it is regarded as the first video and very forward thinking and the basis for all the short cut edits of modern rock videos.

• Like 2