Zito's Death

Assasinge

Decided to rewatch Season 3 last night, and the episode where Zito dies, (Down for the Count or something?), does anyone know why they killed of his character? It broke my heart to see him go...

Seems like I remember reading something like "he wanted to persue other things". 

Certainly one of the most unforgettable episodes. 

Edited by Dadrian

Oh, ok, looks like it was a career thing. Man stuff happens all the time, but this episode really drove a stake through my heart. Tsk, at least no one heard me crying at 2 am last night :)

• Like 2

Have to wonder if Diehl ever regretted leaving the show, though I remember some reference about feeling under-utilized in the series.

Larry finding Zito is the most emotional scene of the series for me--ironically, it comes from the comic relief characters, which only makes it more powerful. 

Stan's face on Larry's shoulder was clearly transparent, as I'm sure he was sad his real-life friend wouldn't be on set anymore after this episode. 

• Like 2

I understand John Diehl's decision for leaving the show, since I read, he was constantly bored having nothing to do, cause they didn't use him in scenes enough. I have always wondered if it could have worked on the show with him being replaced with another actor and Switek having a new partner. He knew it was a big risk for him to take at the time maybe ending up without a job, but looking at his actors credit, he's been really active working in the film industry since the 80's.

And who knows, if Diehl had stayed instead of leaving maybe the producers would have included him more in the later seasons. For instance in season 4, where the old writing staff was changed with all new writers...

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

Well no doubt, if you look back on the series, Diehl and Talbott usually are seen just sitting in a van, doing surveilance or occasionally moving in on the bust with the team. But it would've been nice if they both could have more, action and screen time, not just Crockett and Tubbs 24/7. I understand that they were supposed to be part of comic relief, I believe? But at the end of the day...

:/

He clearly felt he was being under-utilized on the show.  That being said, he should have realized or accepted the fact that as a secondary character, his screen time would be much more limited than a starring role. 

Edited by mvnyc

9 minutes ago, mvnyc said:

That being said, he should have realized or accepted the fact that as a secondary character, his screen time would be much more limited than a starring role. 

Well you certainly are right, but sometimes a secondary role isn't enough for some people. That being said, I still would have a liked just a little bit more action on him from the show, but stuff happens. Didn't he rake in like $200,000 the first season or sometning too? Dude got around...

Edit: Just looked at the cast and crew of the 2006 Miami Vice film, and I see there's a Zito in there? The hell?

Edited by Assasinge

I too would have wished for more screen time/storylines to all of the supporting cast on the show. Still I feel, that as a secondary character the other cast members had more screen time compared to Zito's character. 

Edited by summer84

He seemed to have trouble with his lines in some scenes--jumbling/mispronouncing words sometimes. I always wondered if they snubbed him for those kinds of reasons. 

His strength to me was a specific brand of offbeat comical lines:

The "Miss hairspray 1984..." bit from Made for Each Other

"Dirty money and dirty goats?" from Tale of the Goat

I always laugh at these kinds of lines from Larry. 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

I completely understand why John wanted to do something different.  As an actor he wanted to act, not sit around and wait for days for the opportunity to appear in front of the camera.  He must have been so bored.  Yes as a fan of the show I was sad to see him leave, but like all things in life we cannot always get what we want. 

• Like 1

Haven't seen any of the cast active after all these years recently...I know DJ was in Django at one point, don't know about the others...

Cool video btw @Summer84

Edited by Assasinge

I always maintained that when Switek and Zito got their own episode in season one it would've been serious instead of a silly comedic episode, more like Down For The Count and Hard Knocks, and I still believe that. Then there might have been more serious Swi & Zi eps like that and I think it would've been good for the show. Although I do think John Diehl would've left no matter what. He obviously wanted to branch out into other roles. He was really missed when he left though since he was marvellous as Zito. He did a great job in Down For The Count I. 

The same year John Diehl left he had a supporting role in Alex Cox's film Walker, filmed and set in Nicaragua and starring Ed Harris in what is I think his greatest performance. I'm a fan of that film and it's cool seeing John Diehl in it. He doesn't really have that much dialogue but he's good and it's a great film. Several other Vice guest actors are in it too, like Xander Berkeley, Richard Edson, William O'Leary, Keith Szarabajka and a few more.

I also like seeing John as G. Gordon Liddy in Oliver Stone's brilliant Nixon. It's cool to see Larry Zito play Captain Real Estate.

John also had  a stint on the TV show The Shield, which is a good show despite annoying 'shaky' camerawork. Fellow Vice alumni Michael Chiklis is great in the show.
Many are also familar with John Diehl's comedy roles in Stripes and National Lampoon's Vacation.
All in all I'd say John Diehl is an underrated actor and he should've gotten better roles. I also think Philip MIchael Thomas is a good and underrated actor and his career shouldn't have died the way it did.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Assasinge said:

Haven't seen any of the cast active after all these years recently...I know DJ was in Django at one point, don't know about the others...

Cool video btw @Summer84

Thanks! Maybe you've seen DJ in "Blood and Oil", but that only lasted for one season. Or Saundra in the tv series "Gang related." I saw John Diehl in that movie "A time to kill" from 1996, where he also had a beard (with the main stars Sandra Bullock and Matthew McConaughey,) though I believe he didn't have any dialogue there, actually only a few lines.

Edited by summer84

Huh, I don't think I've ever seen Don in any other TV show or movie besides MV and Django unchained. And god, that trashy Miami Vice movie...why couldn't they cast Don and Phillips in it at least? I haven't even seen it and I know it's bad.

Don's two best movies are The Hot Spot and Dead-Bang. The Hot Spot is great. Dead-Bang is excellent.

He had another show Nash Bridges and he was in Tin Cup with Kevin Costner too.

1 hour ago, Tommy Vercetti said:

Don's two best movies are The Hot Spot and Dead-Bang. The Hot Spot is great. Dead-Bang is excellent.

Nash Bridges had 6 seasons.1996 - 2001. Don Johnson & Cheech Marin were the stars and Philip Michael Thomas was in 2 episodes, which were excellent! :thumbsup:

I agree with Dadrian that the most emotional scene in Miami Vice was Stan finding Larry's body. The song "There's a River Flowing" was so heart wrenching.... you can't help crying. ;(

Edited by Tony D.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Tommy Vercetti said:

"Guilty As Sin" was another excellent movie.  He plays a psychotic serial killer. 

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Certainly one of the most unforgettable episodes. 

Really? Every time I rewatch the series from the beginning, I forget that Zito dies. :)

That scene made it unforgettable for me I should say :) 

I was 6. I'd never seen a "good guy" die on Bugs Bunny or Dukes of Hazzard. It made quite an impression, to say the least. ;(

11 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I caught John in an episode of In the Heat of the Night once. :thumbsup:

John also appeared in an episode of Nash Bridges (S2E15 'The Counterfeiters') as a bad guy. He's basically not in a single scene together with Don, except for getting arrested by him at the end.

• Like 3