Daytona vs Testarossa in Season 3

Den Taylor

I just read the following tidbit on wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cars_in_Miami_Vice):

"The original Testarossas donated by Ferrari North America were black metallic but were then painted white. The Testarossa briefly appears in black in the season 3 episode El Viejo, which was originally intended to be the season opener, but was then switched with When Irish Eyes Are Crying because it was thought that the season needed to start with a "bang", i.e. the fake Daytona being blown up."

Uhm, how was that supposed to work with the Testarossa showing up in an Episode 1 El Viejo and probably some episodes afterwards and then have When Irish Eyes Are Crying come on where the Daytona gets blown up.? Like all of a sudden he would drive the Daytona again? Besides that, Crockett gets his Testarossa in Stone's War so again that would have been some chronological error. Unless they had planned certain scenes differently, like maybe Crockett getting his Testarossa already in El Viejo. Anyone have more information on that? What was the originally planned order of the Episodes for Season 3?

Also, maybe you can comment on the next part:
"Different reasons were given at the time as to why the cars were repainted in white, ranging from a driving mishap by Don Johnson on the set that resulted in one of the cars requiring a new coat of paint, to Michael Mann thinking that unlike the Daytona, the black exterior paint did not make the Testarossa look good enough in night scenes."

The latter sounds most plausible to me. I really dont think black would have worked. Since they already had that with the Daytona and they wanted a change. The only other viable Ferrari color they could have used would have been classic red but that would have gone against the policy of not using any red colors - plus it would have reeked too much of Magnum PI.

It's a shame they screwed up the continuity in Season 3, El Viejo was a much stronger episode than "Irish eyes.." anyway so don't know what they were thinking switching them around.

To be fair to them though, none of the Testarossa episodes happen before Crockett gets it in Stone's war so that was one potential continuity mishap avoided. There's some eps in S3 where Tubbs drives Crockett around in the Cadillac so I'm guessing they were filmed between the Daytona biting the dust and the introduction of the new car.

As to why they painted it white? I think it's just 'coz looks the best. There's some pics with DJ standing next to the black Testarossa at night and you can barely see the thing.

Edited by Vincent Hanna

I think the Daytona exploding was the "MV is back on" thing they were looking for in the S3 premier, although I agree it wasn't a strong episode. 

The night scenes were indeed the reason they painted the TR white. 

• Like 1

Am 4.3.2017 um 19:08 schrieb Vincent Hanna:

As to why they painted it white? I think it's just 'coz looks the best. There's some pics with DJ standing next to the black Testarossa at night and you can barely see the thing.

Anyone's got a link where I can see those pics? Couldn't find any one google.

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Vincent Hanna:

87cal.jpg

Wow, awesome picture. Thanks! (lol, Sonny in a bad ass trench coat....can you picture him running around like that in the show carrying a rifle gun? :D)

Edited by Den Taylor